IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

29 minutes ago, Banker said:

But if there’s no free tests available the non symptoms people will just go in & get on with it, the private sector one’s getting full pay won’t go in but the self employed, tradesmen will because no pay!

However I know a few larger private companies have been closely monitoring absences which will be taken into account for annual bonuses/pay rise 

I don’t disagree, but you had another pop at public sector when actually the same applies in a lot of the private sector.

We had loads off last week who were fit to work but head office in the UK stipulate we can’t go into work.

Thats not people being lazy, it’s following company policy which is also to test if any symptoms or if a close work contact is positive.

I am sure it will change soon but at the moment it is what it is.

I have never said I agree, just that it’s the way of the world at the moment

• Like 1

As a former naysayer that believed it was all over bar the shouting and if one is jabbed up then nothing to worry about, I have had my arse well and truly kicked.

Just had 2 days in bed after testing positve, up today but still feeling pretty dreadful. I'm 61 , triple jabbed and in reasonable nick for my age. I work part time in hospitality on zero hours contract so that's a weeks wage gone as well.

It is still out there & can still make you  quite ill. Just saying.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, The Central Scrutiniser said:

As a former naysayer that believed it was all over bar the shouting and if one is jabbed up then nothing to worry about, I have had my arse well and truly kicked.

Just had 2 days in bed after testing positve, up today but still feeling pretty dreadful. I'm 61 , triple jabbed and in reasonable nick for my age. I work part time in hospitality on zero hours contract so that's a weeks wage gone as well.

It is still out there & can still make you  quite ill. Just saying.

If it's any consolation, it would probably be a lot worse if you hadn't had your jabs.  The vaccines are still providing good protection against serious illness, but much less so against infection or reinfection.  And previous infection seems to be providing even less from the new sub-variants of Omicron.  We've seen this pattern before with protection against infection dropping pretty fast against those who hadn't been boosted.

It's quite worrying how many people have been badly hit this time, not least because it suggests that we will be seeing a lot more hospitalisation among the more vulnerable, though it's possible the Spring booster for over-70s etc will protect them more.  It certainly suggests Manx Care would be wise to extend their Autumn booster to younger people (say over-50s) though I noticed the most recent death (announced a couple of weeks ago) was someone in their 40s.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

If it's any consolation, it would probably be a lot worse if you hadn't had your jabs.  The vaccines are still providing good protection against serious illness, but much less so against infection or reinfection.  And previous infection seems to be providing even less from the new sub-variants of Omicron.  We've seen this pattern before with protection against infection dropping pretty fast against those who hadn't been boosted.

It's quite worrying how many people have been badly hit this time, not least because it suggests that we will be seeing a lot more hospitalisation among the more vulnerable, though it's possible the Spring booster for over-70s etc will protect them more.  It certainly suggests Manx Care would be wise to extend their Autumn booster to younger people (say over-50s) though I noticed the most recent death (announced a couple of weeks ago) was someone in their 40s.

It is a reminder to wear NP2/3 masks in indoor shops at all times to protect yourself. plus stay outdoors as much as possible while the good weather is here

• Haha 3

Jonathan Van Tam on R4 this morning was very clear in his thoughts on the current covid situation in the UK (and to all intents and purposes, IOM is the same).  Unlike when politicians are interviewed he gave clear and concise answers and made a lot of sense.  He said that thanks to vaccination, and a lesser extent immunity acquired through prior infection, covid is basically the same as seasonal influenza in terms of hospitalisation and death.  We've lived with that for the rest of our lives, just as we now should with covid.  When asked if he personally masked up he said no (unless it was a particular high-risk social situation, then he might 'think about it').  Further vaccine boosters will likely be forthcoming later in the year.

We need more people like him being interviewed, and fewer politicians.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Jonathan Van Tam on R4 this morning was very clear in his thoughts on the current covid situation in the UK (and to all intents and purposes, IOM is the same).  Unlike when politicians are interviewed he gave clear and concise answers and made a lot of sense.  He said that thanks to vaccination, and a lesser extent immunity acquired through prior infection, covid is basically the same as seasonal influenza in terms of hospitalisation and death.  We've lived with that for the rest of our lives, just as we now should with covid.  When asked if he personally masked up he said no (unless it was a particular high-risk social situation, then he might 'think about it').  Further vaccine boosters will likely be forthcoming later in the year.

I heard the interview also. He reflected what I had understood the situation has developed into.

Just spent a weekend in London, theatre going, museums, bars, restaurants, crowds, trains, planes. Very few mask wearers, but it’s their choice. I carry a supply just in case I feel vulnerable.

I hope we’d all have the courtesy and respect to others to stay out of the way and wear masks if we have any respiratory infection.

One thing, @wrighty that I think he sort of glossed over is that, unlike seasonal flu, covid seems all year round which sort of changes it’s impact.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, John Wright said:

One thing, @wrighty that I think he sort of glossed over is that, unlike seasonal flu, covid seems all year round which sort of changes it’s impact

Beat me to it. Easier to catch, too. I don't think I know anyone who averages a bout of flu more than once every 2 or 3 years. I know lots of people who have had covid twice in this year...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Beat me to it. Easier to catch, too. I don't think I know anyone who averages a bout of flu more than once every 2 or 3 years. I know lots of people who have had covid twice in this year...

I would expect/hope, that as herd immunity continues to build (via infection and immunisation), that frequency drops off.  Most people I know get a cold/flu (definitions vary, and level of symptoms represent a spectrum) once or twice a year, and are not necessarily very ill with it.  See how it goes over the next couple of years.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Let's hope our officials take a similar tact when the inevitable steeper rise in illness rears it's head again once as we enter the winter months. I rather think they will as any more extreme measures and the cupboards will be well and truly bare.

• Like 1