IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

14 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

The lower echelons of the public sector are fine. As you say they're honest, hard working and take pride in their work. Too many of them get downtrodden over time due to being failed by management and higher ups. 

But I'm talking from experience of having been in a recruitment role on island. Some of the applicants listing Isle of Man Government as their employer were truly shocking. 

I don't disagree with that. The very most talented people in the world don't work in the public sector. They want to make serious money and you will never be rich working for IOM gov that's for sure. Comfortable at best. However in my experience there are still some pretty dedicated and committed individuals. 

We have gone a bit off the topic though. What we were saying is that some public sectors workers, at all level, take advantage of the system. What I was saying was, in my experience, that is not unique to public sector workers and that there is plenty of dead wood in the private sector too. This is more so in bigger organisations where they can hide away. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Happier diner said:

We have gone a bit off the topic though. What we were saying is that some public sectors workers, at all level, take advantage of the system. What I was saying was, in my experience, that is not unique to public sector workers and that there is plenty of dead wood in the private sector too. This is more so in bigger organisations where they can hide away. 

The main difference is though in private sector there unlikely to make there way up the ladder while in public sector there seems almost a given that you get moved up the ladder based on time there rather than ability.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

The main difference is though in private sector there unlikely to make there way up the ladder while in public sector there seems almost a given that you get moved up the ladder based on time there rather than ability.

There their they're 

38 minutes ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

There their they're 

Point taken , sadly my education was curtailed by epilepsy. It's very sad though that you should feel the need to comment as you have done . You know what I was saying. There but by the grace of god go I . 

• Like 2

On 6/24/2022 at 9:29 PM, Happier diner said:

you will never be rich working for IOM gov that's for sure. Comfortable at best.

Is that a serious comment? Tell that to Longworth, Black, Reynolds, Spake and the countless others who got paid and also managed to derive other income well above their basic competency threshold just by working for IOM government. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Newsdesk said:

Is that a serious comment? Tell that to Longworth, Black, Reynolds, Spake and the countless others who got paid and also managed to derive other income well above their basic competency threshold just by working for IOM government. 

Depends on your definition of rich I suppose. Also that's 3 out of thousands. Most just earn a living. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Happier diner said:

Depends on your definition of rich I suppose. Also that's 3 out of thousands. Most just earn a living. 

Sorry but that’s nonsense. Even on an average wage basis those in the public sector still earn more proportionately than those risking it in the private sector. It’s supported year after year in the annual salary report. 

6 hours ago, Newsdesk said:

Sorry but that’s nonsense. Even on an average wage basis those in the public sector still earn more proportionately than those risking it in the private sector. It’s supported year after year in the annual salary report. 

Earning more than average? Is that rich? Not in my eyes. 

On 6/24/2022 at 10:23 AM, HeliX said:

Easier to catch, too. I don't think I know anyone who averages a bout of flu more than once every 2 or 3 years. I know lots of people who have had covid twice in this year...

I agree. Prior to Covid, unless we had a particular bad year or a person was particularly prone to catching flu, the vast majority of healthily adults would have either dodged winter/ summer flu completely or suffered a relatively mild dose. Like you, I too know fully vaccinated people who have had Covid twice – in December and now in June, both times symptoms have been severe. I should point out that they are currently too ill to work, and it is their own family business, so there is no incentive for them to shirk the work!

Society simply cannot function when large swathes of population are getting seriously ill twice a year. My point is quite simple – in the last couple of weeks the UK Health Minister alluded to the possibility of extending the UK Autumn Booster programme to younger people. In order to ‘live with Covid’, the IOM absolutely must do the same. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It is rife at the moment. I know several people who have it for the first time. Some have suffered badly, having to take a full week off work, some not too bad, just a couple of bad cold type days. Others I know are now on their third infection in 12 months. 

I also think they should offer a booster to anyone who wants one really.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Raffles said:

It is rife at the moment. I know several people who have it for the first time. Some have suffered badly, having to take a full week off work, some not too bad, just a couple of bad cold type days. Others I know are now on their third infection in 12 months. 

I also think they should offer a booster to anyone who wants one really.

Surely we have reached a point now whereby we have now realised that the vaccines and boosters don’t deliver what we thought they would. 

Most of my family have had the full schedule and boosters and pretty much all have had Covid since the turn of the year. Some pretty bad.

By all means we should continue with the vaccination rollout but we need to be aware that they aren’t really as effective as we hoped they would be at the start, and taking care of and improving our own health status should still be top priority. 

Edited by Danoo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, code99 said:

I agree. Prior to Covid, unless we had a particular bad year or a person was particularly prone to catching flu, the vast majority of healthily adults would have either dodged winter/ summer flu completely or suffered a relatively mild dose. Like you, I too know fully vaccinated people who have had Covid twice – in December and now in June, both times symptoms have been severe. I should point out that they are currently too ill to work, and it is their own family business, so there is no incentive for them to shirk the work!

Society simply cannot function when large swathes of population are getting seriously ill twice a year. My point is quite simple – in the last couple of weeks the UK Health Minister alluded to the possibility of extending the UK Autumn Booster programme to younger people. In order to ‘live with Covid’, the IOM absolutely must do the same. 

If that happens in the UK we will do the same. We work from the same advice don't we?

It’s well and truly back and it’s no coincidence that the numbers have gone up post TT. After the deaths and now the Covid aftermath which will affect people’s well-being, as well as the economy, you have to think was the TT all really worth it. There are other forms of entertainment and ways to make money out there if that’s what the population and the government crave.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Bill1977 said:

It’s well and truly back and it’s no coincidence that the numbers have gone up post TT. After the deaths and now the Covid aftermath which will affect people’s well-being, as well as the economy, you have to think was the TT all really worth it. There are other forms of entertainment and ways to make money out there if that’s what the population and the government crave.

They won't like you saying that.

Edited by 0bserver