Jump to content

IOM Covid removing restrictions


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can you guys start a separate thread titled "Jersey is ace - oh no it isn't" and leave this one to a discussion on IOM and the coronavirus?

It's a safe place right now because of the Manx people, not the Manx politicians. None of us want to be "the person who brought it back" so we isolate and make sure we don't transmit the virus by bein

Ratio of admissions to deaths is not that different, testing is obviously out due to the massive capacity increase like just about everywhere in the world.    The current UK situation is impact

Posted Images

35 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

It works -  to a point. 

What it achieves is that our internal mechanism can operate without face masks, essentially. In general terms on a recent UK trip, that was ostensibly the only difference it made to us. There needs to be a big reset on the hospitality side still, as I do think it is those prolonged mass gatherings that are significantly contributing to transmission. But on the whole, the world is still spinning.

 

OK, so back home things like the superb food and drink festival couldn’t have taken place, but look at all the questions now being asked about students coming home for breaks. I know long haul pilots that call the island home are really struggling with finding the balance now. One guy has had to endure 28 days lockdown for four days flying. His choice to live here you might say, but IOMG are of course grateful for their 20% of his hefty salary. If this policy of locking ourselves away from the rest of the world is going to persist then I think it is going to do us more long term damage, and it’s not going to take long for that to start to impact.

Lets hope for something pragmatic and based on some proper risk management this afternoon. 

 

Agree, we just need a proper plan to move on with risk based assessment. 
Whether you agree with Jersey or Guernsey approach they are assessing based on risks and we need something similar.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, P.K. said:

Don't you know any youngsters?

They're reckless and stupid.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-52286369

I know many  youngsters, and some of them are stupid. About the same proportion as adults who are stupid. As is supported by the "evidence" you've provided. Half the people named in that news story are middle aged.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, HeliX said:

I know many  youngsters, and some of them are stupid. About the same proportion as adults who are stupid. As is supported by the "evidence" you've provided. Half the people named in that news story are middle aged.

When I was young I was stupid as well.

A lot would argue that I haven't changed that much.

But to try and make out that youngsters are somehow responsible citizens is really really naive. Especially as the graphs produced by Whitty and Vallance showed that the youngsters were far and away the largest group who were contracting the virus and therefore spreading it.

But I guess if you need to pick an argument any subject will do....

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

The day that we start treating our own as basically unclean and unfit to return (if that is what some posters were suggesting) is the day the IOM has totally lost it IMHO. 

Wasn’t that the case back in April?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, P.K. said:

When I was young I was stupid as well.

A lot would argue that I haven't changed that much.

But to try and make out that youngsters are somehow responsible citizens is really really naive. Especially as the graphs produced by Whitty and Vallance showed that the youngsters were far and away the largest group who were contracting the virus and therefore spreading it.

But I guess if you need to pick an argument any subject will do....

The UK situation isn't really comparable to ours though (thank goodness). The Government urged people to go out and use shops. Vulnerable (i.e. older) people won't have done, so it's no surprise that the biggest catchers/spreaders were the young. 

Youngsters are stupid. So are non-youngsters. But in terms of breaching Covid regs, our youngsters don't seem worse than, or even as bad as our non-youngsters.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Youngsters are stupid. 

Hooray!

Just as the graphs of infection show.

PS - I think you'll find that the youngsters didn't contract the virus while out shopping....

FFS you're making this ever more ridiculous!

Ah yes, bore them into submission....

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It is barmy to 'blame' young people when everyone was positively encouraged to go out and spend.  Proportionately, it is bound to be young people who go out and socialise more than other age groups and, yes, young people can be a bit foolhardy especially when drink is involved.  But, in my experience my young adult children and their friends have been observant of the restrictions. 

But other than educating and putting in place reasonable measures such as masks, what is the other option?  Lock them away like the elderly and vulnerable? 

As I have said, there needs to be clear stats and explanation of those stats (ie is a case symptomatic and capable of infecting, what about the dry tinder skew, etc) and reasonable measures taken, bearing in mind that we will all die of something, sometimes before our time.  On Newsnight last night it was said that CV deaths accounted for 1% of all deaths, are the restrictions on freedom, ability to earn, get medical treatment for other illnesses and the impact on mental health therefore justified?

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, HeliX said:

I had ten minutes, so here's the ages of covid breachers who were publicly reported upon:
14
15
18
20
27
30
31
32
35
42
48
48
60
64

 

Only two of those are University age...

back of a fag packet stats don't count...

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, P.K. said:

Hooray!

Just as the graphs of infection show.

PS - I think you'll find that the youngsters didn't contract the virus while out shopping....

FFS you're making this ever more ridiculous!

Ah yes, bore them into submission....

They were encouraged to use pubs too. And restaurants. And whatever else.

I have as much confidence in our students self isolating as anyone else. If not more. That generation appears to be a fairly caring one on the whole.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

It is barmy to 'blame' young people when everyone was positively encouraged to go out and spend.  Proportionately, it is bound to be young people who go out and socialise more than other age groups and, yes, young people can be a bit foolhardy especially when drink is involved.  But, in my experience my young adult children and their friends have been observant of the restrictions. 

But other than educating and putting in place reasonable measures such as masks, what is the other option?  Lock them away like the elderly and vulnerable? 

As I have said, there needs to be clear stats and explanation of those stats (ie is a case symptomatic and capable of infecting, what about the dry tinder skew, etc) and reasonable measures taken, bearing in mind that we will all die of something, sometimes before our time.  On Newsnight last night it was said that CV deaths accounted for 1% of all deaths, are the restrictions on freedom, ability to earn, get medical treatment for other illnesses and the impact on mental health therefore justified?

Yes they were encouraged, they were also advised to socially distance. This was the fall down moment

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Of course it was; frankly, what else was to be expected? 

It's a difficult balancing act in the UK, and I'm glad it's nowt to do with me. Businesses took a hell of a beating here, but the one they've taken in the UK is horrendous. I don't know where the crossover point for more harm done by lockdown vs harm done by the virus is, but as I say I'm bloody glad it's not my responsibility!

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...