Jump to content

IOM Covid removing restrictions


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Can we remind ourselves what  the Strategy was? 

Then we can see if what the island is doing is actually meeting it. 

Errrr...Is there a strategy, other than stick our fingers in our ears and hide under the bed until the nasty disease goes away? I think the strategy as discussed by Dr Allinson, was eradication of COVID 19. Well, if that doesn’t work, what then?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can you guys start a separate thread titled "Jersey is ace - oh no it isn't" and leave this one to a discussion on IOM and the coronavirus?

It's a safe place right now because of the Manx people, not the Manx politicians. None of us want to be "the person who brought it back" so we isolate and make sure we don't transmit the virus by bein

Ratio of admissions to deaths is not that different, testing is obviously out due to the massive capacity increase like just about everywhere in the world.    The current UK situation is impact

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Itsmeee said:

Errrr...Is there a strategy, other than stick our fingers in our ears and hide under the bed until the nasty disease goes away? I think the strategy as discussed by Dr Allinson, was eradication of COVID 19. Well, if that doesn’t work, what then?

Shut his mouth and go back to medical work?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Utah 01 said:

You must have blinked and missed it a few pages back courtesy of Roxanne:

'they were going to wait to see what happened elsewhere'

That’s always been strategy , wait & see. Although Howie did say a couple of weeks ago that he had spoken to his mates in Channel Islands about testing & would see what learnings there were better but no new plans since!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Banker said:

That’s always been strategy , wait & see. Although Howie did say a couple of weeks ago that he had spoken to his mates in Channel Islands about testing & would see what learnings there were better but no new plans since!!

To be fair, as much as I think our current leadership are incompetent, waiting to see the outcomes of other testing regimes before we decide on a confirmed course of action isn't the worst approach. 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lxxx said:

To be fair, as much as I think our current leadership are incompetent, waiting to see the outcomes of other testing regimes before we decide on a confirmed course of action isn't the worst approach. 

 

A bit like this recent report?

https://www.oxera.com/test-and-release-scheme

But we still pedal the 7% effectiveness PHE estimated back in July I think it was. The unfortunate problem is that we can see how other people do many things, but until we start actually doing some testing at various stages ourselves, we won't know how effective the reporting is for our own Island.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jaymann said:

A bit like this recent report?

https://www.oxera.com/test-and-release-scheme

But we still pedal the 7% effectiveness PHE estimated back in July I think it was. The unfortunate problem is that we can see how other people do many things, but until we start actually doing some testing at various stages ourselves, we won't know how effective the reporting is for our own Island.

I rather think DHSC have wedded themselves so tightly to Public Health England that if PHE say the Oxera approach is questionable they will just go along with it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

I rather think DHSC have wedded themselves so tightly to Public Health England that if PHE say the Oxera approach is questionable they will just go along with it.

Indeed. Its ironic because Oxera advised the Government on the offshore gas & gas price regulation and I don't recall anybody in Tynwald or COMIN doubting them then.

I still firmly believe that our strategy built entirely around the UK (England) is unwise and we need to see a bigger world beyond. We all know that the UK is more of a mess than most places in Europe, I'm not entirely sure its the standard we should align with.

Edited by jaymann
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jaymann said:

Indeed. Its ironic because Oxera advised the Government on the offshore gas.

I still firmly believe that our strategy built entirely around the UK (England) is unwise and we need to see a bigger world beyond. We all know that the UK is more of a mess than most places in Europe, I'm not entirely sure its the standard we should align with.

Completely agree we need to act as a stand alone jurisdiction in this and find a solution that works for us but as our health department is so entwined with PHE across we have left ourselves little wiggle room. Or so it appears. I'd like to see Ashford take a more decisive approach but I'm just not sure he has it in him.

Edited by Lxxx
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Lxxx said:

It's not about pretending it isn't here it is about acknowledging it is but keeping it in perspective.  

Until such a time as it overwhelm's our health service we shouldn't make any knee jerk reactions. Keep it sensible, deal with cases as we are doing and don't whip up the illiterate's by going out of our way to find more cases or publicising the ones we do have. 

Nature will find a way of doing what it does, we need to work with it not carpet bomb the economy like they are doing across and destroy businesses, livelihoods and lives in the process.

But waiting till the health service is overwhelmed before deciding to do anything is literally insane.  It's like announcing you shouldn't use the brakes till the car has actually driven over the cliff - the time to take action is long before that point.

Similarly not "going out of our way to find more cases" is the definition of pretending it isn't there.  And those cases will end up infecting more people.

There's no excuse for this sort of attitude.  It's not like we haven't learnt a lot over the last nine months.  We know what works and what causes damage.    We know what the fast effective actions are, and that confused and late ones will make things worse, and that doing nothing is the worst of all.  We can see what a mess the UK has made by following such a mixture of incompetent policies.  We can look around the world and see how badly countries who followed similar (or even worse) policies had similar results, not just in terms of illness and deaths, but in damage to the economy and financial cost to the government.

And yet people keep repeating the same meaningless words as if they will make things better.  They don't, they make things worse.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But waiting till the health service is overwhelmed before deciding to do anything is literally insane.  It's like announcing you shouldn't use the brakes till the car has actually driven over the cliff - the time to take action is long before that point.

Similarly not "going out of our way to find more cases" is the definition of pretending it isn't there.  And those cases will end up infecting more people.

There's no excuse for this sort of attitude.  It's not like we haven't learnt a lot over the last nine months.  We know what works and what causes damage.    We know what the fast effective actions are, and that confused and late ones will make things worse, and that doing nothing is the worst of all.  We can see what a mess the UK has made by following such a mixture of incompetent policies.  We can look around the world and see how badly countries who followed similar (or even worse) policies had similar results, not just in terms of illness and deaths, but in damage to the economy and financial cost to the government.

And yet people keep repeating the same meaningless words as if they will make things better.  They don't, they make things worse.

With all due respect, that's just your opinion. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m fervently of the opinion - and I hope they are right, that the UK govt has pinned a high degree of confidence in resolving the crisis with an effective vaccine. With indications roll out will begin soon ( https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/coronavirus-news-oxford-vaccine-christmas-lockdown/ ) there will hopefully be a turning point by the spring, and with a bit of a time lag, some good news for the Island in terms of travel and trade opportunities opening up again. God willing, by this time next year the world should be looking a lot more familiar. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...