Jump to content

IOM Covid removing restrictions


Filippo

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

HaHa. I thought that was the idea......but that's just my opinion:cool:

Haha. Fair point. 

I suppose what I meant was he was saying the current approach is 'literally insane' but here we are at the end of November and things are pretty okay here as things stand. Sure we need to sort this 14 day quarantine and drawbridge mentality but I walk out my front door and it could be February 2020. Not so sure many places in the world can say that.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

I’m fervently of the opinion - and I hope they are right, that the UK govt has pinned a high degree of confidence in resolving the crisis with an effective vaccine. With indications roll out will begin soon ( https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/coronavirus-news-oxford-vaccine-christmas-lockdown/ ) there will hopefully be a turning point by the spring, and with a bit of a time lag, some good news for the Island in terms of travel and trade opportunities opening up again. God willing, by this time next year the world should be looking a lot more familiar. 

Inshallah.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, yootalkin2me said:

The funny thing is that people actually think thst Quayle et al are making the decisions...they're not, it's Will Greenhow amd his team of CEOs, Quayle et al are merely the mouthpieces.

Sounds like Jersey having similar problems with civil servants writing policy 

https://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/2020/11/21/senior-civil-servants-are-gaining-too-much-power/

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, yootalkin2me said:

The funny thing is that people actually think thst Quayle et al are making the decisions...they're not, it's Will Greenhow amd his team of CEOs, Quayle et al are merely the mouthpieces.

I disagree. They are listening to the scientific / medical / clinical advice but interpreting it their own way to suit political agenda and ideology. 

That is what they are there for. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Apple said:

I disagree. They are listening to the scientific / medical / clinical advice but interpreting it their own way to suit political agenda and ideology. 

That is what they are there for. 

Welll, you're certainly entitled to your opnion. I maintain that we, the Isle of Man, are doing the right thing..on the surface but there are so many loopholes with regard to key workers from the UK and beyond being exploited as well as the machiavellian manner in which the testing, results and infections are being portrayed, for example; this whole 'no cases in the community' bollocks. At present we, as an island have been lucky (if you assume that all infected people are coming forward and reporting it...which I very much doubt), once all returning people get to the Island ahead of Christmas there will be more and more infections in the community.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, yootalkin2me said:

Welll, you're certainly entitled to your opnion. I maintain that we, the Isle of Man, are doing the right thing..on the surface but there are so many loopholes with regard to key workers from the UK and beyond being exploited as well as the machiavellian manner in which the testing, results and infections are being portrayed, for example; this whole 'no cases in the community' bollocks. At present we, as an island have been lucky (if you assume that all infected people are coming forward and reporting it...which I very much doubt), once all returning people get to the Island ahead of Christmas there will be more and more infections in the community.

Infections or positive test results?

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, yootalkin2me said:

Welll, you're certainly entitled to your opnion.

We all are.

 

2 minutes ago, yootalkin2me said:

I maintain that we, the Isle of Man, are doing the right thing.

So do I

 

2 minutes ago, yootalkin2me said:

once all returning people get to the Island ahead of Christmas there will be more and more infections in the community.

Again I agree. So effectively we are following what could be terms as the best way to try and deal with what we have here. What concerns me though is what the future will bring, in that some travel restrictions and conditions will remain. Not just here but globally. Passports, health certificates, shared health care records, vaccine certificates, mandatory health insurance will, again in my opinion, be brought in. 

Covid has accelerated some of these ideological based restrictions to "manage people" and deter unwanted visitors, shall we say. I am not not saying it's right though.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Apple said:

We all are.

 

So do I

 

Again I agree. So effectively we are following what could be terms as the best way to try and deal with what we have here. What concerns me though is what the future will bring, in that some travel restrictions and conditions will remain. Not just here but globally. Passports, health certificates, shared health care records, vaccine certificates, mandatory health insurance will, again in my opinion, be brought in. 

Covid has accelerated some of these ideological based restrictions to "manage people" and deter unwanted visitors, shall we say. I am not not saying it's right though.

100% agree with you on all points...I think Orwell's 1984 is probably about 50 years out lol

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lots of strange new faces appearing on island now. Only a matter of time IMO. Too many leaks to avoid a lockdown.

I was talking to a German, a Scotsman and an Englishman new over today. No joke there though.

Tick fuckin tock.

 

ETA: Plus an Irishman now. All out at the pub.

Edited by Albert Tatlock
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Lots of strange new faces appearing on island now. Only a matter of time IMO. Too many leaks to avoid a lockdown.

I was talking to a German, a Scotsman and an Englishman new over today. No joke there though.

Tick fuckin tock.

 

ETA: Plus an Irishman now. All out at the pub.

I don't get your point. If society is functioning okay, the local economy is ticking over and Nobles isn't over-run what's the problem? 

It's like some people are rubbing their hands together in anticipation of an outbreak so say 'I told you so.'

I personally think some people are too obsessed with testing, testing, testing and think the more we know the better it is. On the contrary, in my opinion we continue to be sensible and we take as we find. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Lots of strange new faces appearing on island now. Only a matter of time IMO. Too many leaks to avoid a lockdown.

I was talking to a German, a Scotsman and an Englishman new over today. No joke there though.

Tick fuckin tock.

 

ETA: Plus an Irishman now. All out at the pub.

Well if new to island they would have done 14 days isolation so no problems unless of course key workers!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's the compliance I'm.concerned about, the ones caught out and jailed thus far have presented themselves on a plate to the authorities. We, as an island do not have the intelligence or resources or system for that matter to ensure every single person is being compliant when they should be. I genuinely hope tbere are no infections out there that woukd cause even the slightest backwards step, I really do, I quite like the way things are albeit although I'm desperate to going on holiday.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...