IOM Covid removing restrictions

25 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Remember that property ownership qualifies you as well.  So it doesn't have to be your main residence, providing you own it.

No, it has to be only or principal residence. Second/holiday home owners do not count as Manx residents. Some may apply as Manx residents, but they shouldn't, because they're not.

New owners have to show they're buying a property and that the intention is for it to become their main home.

In reality it's bloody hard for the government to check if it's a second home, unless someone snitches, as they'll have all the usual ID (rates bill, deeds, utility bill, etc) when asked. But second home owners shouldn't be getting treated as Manx residents for Covid rules because they're not.

• Like 1
  • Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK. For what it's worth I'm going to try and explain why genomics is important in a ssRNA virus epidemic. No doubt it will end up being recited badly at a briefing, but, well, whatever. You read it he

Rachel has tried every which way to re-offer her services. This last tweet wasn't the first time she's reached out. Government has made it very clear they do not want her to be involved. I want h

I think you'll find most so called anti-government rhetoric is focused on government-stupidity and government-selfishness. In recent times - under Brown, Bell and now Quayle - all too many govern

Posted Images

31 minutes ago, tetchtyke said:

In reality it's bloody hard for the government to check if it's a second home, unless someone snitches, as they'll have all the usual ID (rates bill, deeds, utility bill, etc) when asked. But second home owners shouldn't be getting treated as Manx residents for Covid rules because they're not.

It isn’t really. I know someone who ‘returned’ whose house here had been let out for at least 10 years prior to covid. I’d have thought it would be pretty easy for government to prove it wasn’t their main residence as someone else had been living in it for at least 5 years paying them rent which they were taxed on while they lived in the UK. At the same time we’re barring Manx born people from coming back because they weren’t rich enough to buy a house before they had to leave. It doesn’t stack up. 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Banker said:

We need to at least allow families to visit as it’s getting ridiculous now

Can't you just wait for the vaccine? It's bad enough all the students coming back for Christmas. Although, let's be honest, most of the smart ones will have deferred this year.

9 hours ago, All Right said:

a lot of people deciding to move back to the UK fir family reasons.

A very few. Maybe.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Kopek said:

I think there are more important aspects of Lockdown/restrictions/border closures to concentrate on than second home owners!!!

The point is that Howie is banning Manx born people who don’t need work permits etc whilst allowing a number of second home owners to shelter here

• Like 1
2 hours ago, tetchtyke said:

No, it has to be only or principal residence. Second/holiday home owners do not count as Manx residents. Some may apply as Manx residents, but they shouldn't, because they're not.

I'm fairly certain at one stage that ownership was enough - they may have tightened up.  But in a lot of cases it won't matter anyway, because if the property is owned by a company (as many will be for tax reasons) then all they need to do is have their company grant themselves a tenancy and they will able to come here based on that. 

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I'm fairly certain at one stage that ownership was enough - they may have tightened up.  But in a lot of cases it won't matter anyway, because if the property is owned by a company (as many will be for tax reasons) then all they need to do is have their company grant themselves a tenancy and they will able to come here based on that. 

The rules for getting a Manx resident permit have always been slightly different to the contractual route, which you linked to, though with the contractual route you had to be buying the property to actually live in it. I suppose they didn't spell this out as you wouldn't be applying as a non-resident buying property to come to the IOM if you weren't intending to move here.

The gist for residents is only or principal home. But the types of evidence any government would want- utility or rates bills, etc- are the sorts of things second home owners have too.

So second home owners aren't allowed to come here, but in reality if they lie on their application and say they're resident here (and the form does refer to both resident and principal residence) when they're not then they may well not get caught out. But they are still lying.

As you say, if the home's owned by a company they control then all bets are off.

Edited by tetchtyke
6 minutes ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

How odd.

It’s not odd really when you consider that it takes many years normally to get approval for a new drug or vaccine but this will probably be signed off in 6 months based on a limited number of tests. Just because people may be skeptical of the fast tracking that will apply doesn’t make them anti-vaxxers. 

• Like 2