Jump to content

IOM Covid removing restrictions


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Cambon said:

Yes, in a pandemic that nine months ago nobody new how to treat, or how it would affect mankind. Everything has changed since then. Mortality rate is now known to be small  and in known demographics. So vaccinate and protect them!!! 

Cambon: You have always been the one supporting the restrictions on this island. Since when you are so liberal as concerns covid?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 33.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Banker

    2545

  • TheTeapot

    1384

  • Gladys

    1280

  • horatiotheturd

    1015

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK. For what it's worth I'm going to try and explain why genomics is important in a ssRNA virus epidemic. No doubt it will end up being recited badly at a briefing, but, well, whatever. You read it he

Rachel has tried every which way to re-offer her services. This last tweet wasn't the first time she's reached out. Government has made it very clear they do not want her to be involved. I want h

I think you'll find most so called anti-government rhetoric is focused on government-stupidity and government-selfishness. In recent times - under Brown, Bell and now Quayle - all too many govern

Posted Images

12 hours ago, snowman said:

and in this pandemic, where you can be asymptomatic, no symptoms and pass it on to others, you have a vaccine to also protect others

Yes that's correct. But it's even more than that. Spread of infection follows a mathematically predictable rate that is the same (mathematically) as a chemical reaction.

The rate of a chemical reaction is proportional to the no of interactions and the concentration of reactants. For interaction and reactant substitute mobility of human movement and for reactants substitute infected people. For everyone that gets vaccinated, read one reactant removed  slowing the reaction.

Getting even more technical, infection is like a nuclear reaction in its exponential spread. The reaction between reactants produces more reactants which increases the rate of the reaction.....the spread of infection. So a vaccinated person becomes an inhibitor and this is the crucially important factor. Inhibitors get in the way of the spread a d slow it down inversely proportionately. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Yes that's correct. But it's even more than that. Spread of infection follows a mathematically predictable rate that is the same (mathematically) as a chemical reaction.

The rate of a chemical reaction is proportional to the no of interactions and the concentration of reactants. For interaction and reactant substitute mobility of human movement and for reactants substitute infected people. For everyone that gets vaccinated, read one reactant removed  slowing the reaction.

Getting even more technical, infection is like a nuclear reaction in its exponential spread. The reaction between reactants produces more reactants which increases the rate of the reaction.....the spread of infection. So a vaccinated person becomes an inhibitor and this is the crucially important factor. Inhibitors get in the way of the spread a d slow it down inversely proportionately. 

So, in layman's terms, the socially responsible thing to do is have the vaccine?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a bit open minded about the whole Covid thing, which will probably change when it starts to affect me personally. I do know of several people, off the island, younger and a lot fitter than me who have contracted it, then had quite a hard time getting over it. Some seem to have long term exhaustion and been left very weak. They had no known underlying condition and wouldn't be in any high risk group. Mush as we think that we know who is vulnerable, it seems that we do not. Yes older people are bound to be vulnerable but it appears that like TB, Polio etc before, it looks as though we are going to need to accept the risks? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Hard Landing said:

Cambon: You have always been the one supporting the restrictions on this island. Since when you are so liberal as concerns covid?

Actually, from the start I was against all the lockdown and restrictions, and my thinking on that has never changed. However, now that we are in the situation we are in, coming out of it is a completely different issue. It has to be managed carefully. 

Two completely different things. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Happier diner said:

Absolutely. By having the vaccine you protect yourself, but you also become and inhibitor to its spread.

But the good thing is also that, if the anti vaxxers don't, the majority will and this will inhibit the spread despite them. So long as the anti brigade don't become a significant proportion of course.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Happier diner said:

Absolutely. By having the vaccine you protect yourself, but you also become and inhibitor to its spread.

Problem is there is uncertainty still as to whether or not an inoculated person actually becomes a spreader in the short term. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Problem is there is uncertainty still as to whether or not an inoculated person actually becomes a spreader in the short term. 

True. But it's unlikely to be a big issue if the vaccine stops the virus establishing itself in the body and then reproducing. You could still carry it temporarily if you had had an intensive exposure recently but then that applies to all contagious diseases.

The main benefit will be significant reduction in R which will cause the spread of the disease to reduce rather than increase.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Banker said:

Reasonable request about families visiting, Howie should at least ask what numbers are likely to be. If everyone is self isolating what’s the problem??

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/how-many-former-residents-want-to-come-home-for-christmas/

But surely their home is where they now live?.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Max Power said:

I'm a bit open minded about the whole Covid thing, which will probably change when it starts to affect me personally. I do know of several people, off the island, younger and a lot fitter than me who have contracted it, then had quite a hard time getting over it. Some seem to have long term exhaustion and been left very weak. They had no known underlying condition and wouldn't be in any high risk group. Mush as we think that we know who is vulnerable, it seems that we do not. Yes older people are bound to be vulnerable but it appears that like TB, Polio etc before, it looks as though we are going to need to accept the risks? 

TB, Polio etc are enormously more awful than Covid-19. In their "natural" state; prior to the vaccination era.

Covid-19 would have gradually faded away even without a vaccine. Not that it would have disappeared; it would have simply ceased making people more sick than a normal cold. It is a virus that our immune system can learn to handle and eliminate on its own.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

But surely their home is where they now live?.

 

WTF have you actually read or listened, it’s about Manx people coming home to see families at Xmas, most countries in the world are allowing some relaxation at Xmas but not big Howie!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...