IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

Just now, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

And? That won't bother a large portion of the population. 

It's a balance over the last 6 months.  It isn't as one sided as you would like to make it out to be.  Just saying. 

Really? All Christmas parties cancelled. Places that were going to charge £50-100 a head for Christmas lunch out? New Year's Eve? This month alone will more than null any impact the tiny tourist season had on Jerseys economy. And it was tiny. Very, very few tourists and a few family visits combined with lots of expensive testing that has all gone tits up as I expected it would. Just took a little longer than I thought.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Really? All Christmas parties cancelled. Places that were going to charge £50-100 a head for Christmas lunch out? New Year's Eve? This month alone will more than null any impact the tiny tourist season had on Jerseys economy. And it was tiny. Very, very few tourists and a few family visits combined with lots of expensive testing that has all gone tits up as I expected it would. Just took a little longer than I thought.

Hardly any Xmas parties happening in Jersey for any company of any real standing.  All cancelled long ago.

You are making stuff up.

39 minutes ago, Cambon said:

+1

They're not happy with how it has been handled at all. And like you say it has now gone tits up. A colleague is now on their 3rd lot of 2 week isolation since Oct. Another has had 24 days due to school outbreak. It has been awful. There's now a lot of very, very angry people and the hospitality trade is facing a nightmare month.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Happier diner said:

What happens if the vaccine doesn't stop you spreading the infection just alleviates symptoms? 

As we have said before there is no chance of this.

10 hours ago, Lxxx said:

What happens if the vaccine doesn't stop you spreading the infection just alleviates symptoms?

I am sorry, but none of the Covid vaccines is expected to confer a nearly complete immunising protection; the why a smallpox vaccine or a polio vaccine does.

Those who have been vaccinated will still catch Covid and spread it to others; though their contagiousness is expected to be reduced, at the least for a while.

When cannot yet put precise figures on the above.

The whole discussion about whether or not one should have the vaccination should rather focus on which one of the Covid vaccines in progress may be more suitable. They have different platforms and different risk profiles.

My opinion is that the young should not have it; for the time being, and eventually wait for one of the more tried and tested platforms; for instance a vaccine based on an attenuated virus, which is the most straightforward way to produce a vaccine and can't be worse of a naturally occurring infection (apart manufacturing risk).

The Chinese have mainly preferred the latter approach; but there are some western options coming through starting from the spring. I would frankly wait for that, for myself. And wait until we know more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am not against Brexit; but this is truly rubbish; that we have a Covid vaccine thanks to Brexit.

I dread the anti-vax mania that would follow some accident with the Pfizer's vaccine. mRNA vaccines have never been used before and some auto-immune issue, for instance, is not outside the realm of possibility, I am afraid.

1314769605_RapidvaccinebreakthroughisthankstoBrexitsayministers3-Dec-20.thumb.jpg.91e8b43daee1e65d53af1d3814200afd.jpg

9 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I note the "lets be like Jersey brigade" have gone quiet!

Still here.

The trade off was relative freedom to travel for many weeks & allowing their economy to paddle through without the need for huge taxpayer cash injections.

We can all sit back at the end of this & make an informed opinion on who made the best of it.

Edited by Nom de plume

3 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Still here.

The trade off was relative freedom to travel for many weeks & allowing their economy to paddle through without the need for huge taxpayer cash injections.

We can all sit back at the end of this & make an informed opinion on who made the best of it.

They bunged everyone £100 each to pump money into the economy. 

8 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

They bunged everyone £100 each to pump money into the economy. 

Wise move, it’ll be spent.

The real marker is death per head of population as to who made the best fist of it.

Edited by Nom de plume

1 minute ago, Nom de plume said:

Wise move, it’ll be spent.

The real marker is death per head of population as to who made the best fist of it.

But they wouldn't have done it if the economy was bubbling along nicely. Governments don't hand out money to the plebs.

And is the death per head really the best way of 'keeping score'? I'm not so sure. Most of the resistance to restrictions has been the economy argument. If the deaths were the main measure then much stricter and longer lockdowns would have been enforced everywhere.

1 minute ago, TheTeapot said:

But they wouldn't have done it if the economy was bubbling along nicely. Governments don't hand out money to the plebs.

And is the death per head really the best way of 'keeping score'? I'm not so sure. Most of the resistance to restrictions has been the economy argument. If the deaths were the main measure then much stricter and longer lockdowns would have been enforced everywhere.

The economy argument was strong but not the 100% driver from me.

I’ve always been about testing, protecting or shielding the very small percentage of the population who were susceptible, employing coherent track & trace, reducing Q periods and allowing movement.

• Like 2

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/covid-19/situation-updates/weekly-maps-coordinated-restriction-free-movement

EU traffic lights system in place now has less restrictions on Ireland, but IOM Govt do not appear to have anything in place to differentiate between travellers from different jurisdictions. The information is available so it just needs a framework.

• Like 1