IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

The way our government is going, they won’t issue vaccination certificates, but they won’t let you back into the island after travelling without a certificate either. Self isolation and heavily restricted borders are here to stay for a long,  long time. 😏

5 hours ago, madmanxpilot said:

Whilst Mr Ashford and the IOMG don't see the point in Vaccination Certificates, it is likely that they will be needed by many of us to allow for travel, holidays and especially cruises. In the absence of the IOMG producing anything for us, I suspect it may well end up as an on request service, perhaps from GPs, for which there will undoubtably be a significant fee.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-health-coronavirus-eu-vaccine/covid-19-vaccine-makers-see-eu-shield-against-side-effect-claims-idUKKCN26D0UG

4 hours ago, Max Power said:

When I first went to the USA, I had to have a Smallpox vaccination (again) despite the disease having been virtually wiped out. It certainly isn't without precedent for countries to insist on people having their 'jabs' to be allowed in. 

4 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

It wasn't so long ago that some countries wouldn't allow you in unless you had a negative HIV test result.

4 hours ago, The Old Git said:

I had to have jabs for Turkey years ago. Don’t know if that was out govt or theirs requiring it. Felt so shit after I gave up smoking, so some good came out of it

3 hours ago, Banker said:

Many African & S American countries require yellow fever vaccinated, Australia says if you don’t have it you will have to do 14 days quarantine instead and I expect others will adopt similar policies 

1 hour ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

The quicker people get vaccinated the better and we get a proper proof of vaccination, those that do not want it can just get on with their lives confined to wherever in the world they currently reside. I wonder if they happily fill in the ESTA form or API data when they travel?.

I was talking to a pharmacist friend today and they thought they could do 30 people an hour as long as the admin was completed beforehand.

46 minutes ago, Itsmeee said:

The way our government is going, they won’t issue vaccination certificates, but they won’t let you back into the island after travelling without a certificate either. Self isolation and heavily restricted borders are here to stay for a long,  long time. 😏

Maybe you will succeed instituting a Covid dictatorship in the Isle of Man.

But the leaders of the civilised world have said that they will not consider mandatory vaccinations. This is only the last one I have read about:

https://globalnews.ca/news/7490405/kenney-vaccination-covid-19-mandatory

Boris Johnson has also made it clear that it won't happen in the UK.

And don't make the distinction between being strapped to a chair and stopped from travel/living. The fact that you have regarded what it is meant for "mandatory" as, possibly, being forcefully injected, just seeing that with the realm of possibility, it reveals the kind of person you are. I guess, you keep a picture of Stalin in your bedroom.

It is unlikely that IOMG will adopt a policy that would exclude a sizeable portion of the world from the island, including a sizeable portion of the UK; and also see many IOM residents leave, frankly. If the isle is managed with the priorities of a care home, that is the kind of residents the isle will be left with.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Black Mirror said:

But the leaders of the civilised world have said that they will not consider mandatory vaccinations. This is only the last one I have read about:

And don't make the distinction between being strapped to a chair and stopped from travel/living. The fact that you have regarded what it is meant for "mandatory" as, possibly, being forcefully injected, just seeing that with the realm of possibility, it reveals the kind of person you are. I guess, you keep a picture of Stalin in your bedroom.

It is unlikely that IOMG will adopt a policy that would exclude a sizeable portion of the world from the island, including a sizeable portion of the UK; and also see many IOM residents leave, frankly. If the isle is managed with the priorities of a care home, that is the kind of residents the isle will be left with.

Who is this aimed at? The IoM shouldn't do anything which is at odds with the rest of the civilised world, I don't think anyone suggested otherwise? 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Black Mirror said:

As long as you are not in front of me holding up the boarding queue at the airport or the passport control arguing this to get into another country crack on, the choice will entirely be yours.

• Like 4

On 4/22/2020 at 5:17 AM, Filippo said:

The title of the posting makes it clear where I stand; I see the lockdown as a politically motivated act of social and economic vandalism. There is little evidence that the lockdown is achieving much as concerns limiting the direct damage from the pandemic: countries that have introduced social-distancing on a mostly voluntary basis (Sweden, The Netherlands, Hong Kong, Singapore, South Korea) while keeping most of their economies open and afloat are having much lower Covid-19 deaths per-capita than us. It tells about the competence (or lack thereof) of our authorities to achieve anything apart from crashing the economy and depleting public coffers.

The evidence of that bonehead failure is staggering (figures as of the 20th of April):

Cases     Deaths
    Isle of Man       300           9
    Singapore         8,014       11
    Hong Kong       1,206        4

The population of Hong Kong is 7.45 million versus 86K on this island. It means that on this island, the per-capita fatality of Covid-19 is 7,450 / 86 x 9 / 4 = 195 times that of Hong Kong. Same virus, but nearly 200 times more deadly on these shores! Hallelujah.

Yes, I know that IOM’s population is older on average. But also note these other circumstances. In Hong Kong, Singapore and South Korea the pandemic started nearly two months before us; the authorities here had nearly two months to prepare, and did nothing or very little about it. Furthermore, it is enormously more difficult to control a pandemic in such densely populated regions as Hong Kong and Singapore (the land surface of this island is nearly as much as Singapore’s, think). In Singapore, most of the contagion has come from immigrants’ dormitories where ten people sleep in a room; we don’t have here that kind of unmanageable problems on the IOM. It should have been comparably much easier for us.

Basically, the authorities here have been good at crashing the economy and stopping us from living our lives; while achieving very little as concerns mitigating the direct damage from the pandemic. They have little to show for the sacrifice imposed on us.

Listen to the pathetic speech of our politicians: I protect the island, I protect the island and I protect the island. Brainless. Brainless justification for trashing civil liberties, endangering our economic, physical and mental well-being, imposing on us a busybody police state. The politicians succeeded in positioning themselves such as to deflect or take the least blame for the situation of the pandemic. The police succeeded in jailing for months some low-lifers for having parties (keep reading about those sentences nearly every day now on IOM Today and Manx News and it makes me cringe). Good job.

I agree that the figures don't do us any favours. What you don't say is what you would have done differently or more correctly what the hell did Hong Kong do differently other than 'prepare'. What was this preparation. Not being arsey, I would genuinely like to know as I am baffled.

1 hour ago, Black Mirror said:

I think you missed the point in what a few of us are saying in regards to this. If you don't want the vaccination, fine, take your chances. But if you do, and you request proof of having had it, it really should be provided. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

I still can’t help but feel we are five to ten cases away from developing into a Jersey.

If we don’t test we’ll never know.

Let’s hope we don’t develop multiple cases all of a sudden.

Well we've made some poor-ish decisions (such as the hour's exercise) and decision making has been slow and inefficient[1], but Jersey did make one really bad decision in relying on testing on arrival.  As I've said before I was surprised they got away with it as long as they did, but what happened was entirely predictable.

And it looks really bad.  They now have 440 active cases and over 3000 contacts isolating (and that will be a massive underestimate).  The number in hospital has risen to 15 (plus 3 cases in care homes), though there's mercifully been no more deaths yet.  Like several places their second wave has been far worse that their first.

What they did wrong was exactly what so many on here demanded - they decided to prioritise the economy over health, and especially the visitor economy.  And they have ended up with neither.  Something very similar has happened in Malta (though they didn't even bother with testing).  As with a lot of Islands who shut down quickly they escaped the first wave quite lightly with only 9 deaths.  They have had an additional 140 this Autumn and currently have over 2000 active cases.

[1] This applied at the start of the pandemic, but also for example with the 7-day testing, which might have been got away with in July/August, but by the time they got round to it in September, UK cases were already rising and it should have been stopped, not started.

57 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well we've made some poor-ish decisions (such as the hour's exercise) and decision making has been slow and inefficient[1],

The biggest hole in border policy until 2 weeks and 2 days ago was no requirement for entire household to isolate for 14 days. Because good Manx people have some sense many people decided to follow this prudent policy even without government guidelines. This certainly included all people I know who went away, major employers such as insurance companies and sports leagues such as table tennis.

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

there's mercifully been no more deaths yet

Just matter of time, before they putting Jersey residents into body bags. 

5 hours ago, madmanxpilot said:

Cruise lines are likely to insist all passengers have been vaccinated, then it doesn't matter if anyone transmits it on board. The cruise 'experience' is heavily impacted by social distancing requirements at the moment and the ships cannot operate at a capacity to make them profitable.  Same possible for long haul travel too.

At present, it looks to be that long-haul travel will be migrating towards smaller narrowbodies because the seats just aren't being filled. Look at all the 747s that have been accelerated to retirement, along with a number of relatively young A380s.