IOM Covid removing restrictions

47 minutes ago, quilp said:

That's not what was actually said though, is it? Opening or closing was down to the individual premises/businesses. 

Quote from conference 

Our advice was clear argues Quayle

The chief minister says businesses and care homes didn't need to shut, and the advice from government was clear.

Ashford confirms DHSC didn't advise care homes to shut.

• Replies 33.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Banker

• TheTeapot

• Gladys

• horatiotheturd

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK. For what it's worth I'm going to try and explain why genomics is important in a ssRNA virus epidemic. No doubt it will end up being recited badly at a briefing, but, well, whatever. You read it he

Rachel has tried every which way to re-offer her services. This last tweet wasn't the first time she's reached out. Government has made it very clear they do not want her to be involved. I want h

I think you'll find most so called anti-government rhetoric is focused on government-stupidity and government-selfishness. In recent times - under Brown, Bell and now Quayle - all too many govern

Posted Images

1 hour ago, quilp said:

It wasn't announced shortly after discovery to avoid any panic, according to Ashford. Had they announced it earlier perhaps some of the people intending to go out and celebrate might've reconsidered and the panic we've seen since might have been lessened...

This is what they don't seem to get. 

• Like 2

It's not so many months ago that plenty on these boards and elsewhere were jingoistically dismissing any possibility of a second wave, let alone a new strain as well. Wonder where they are now?

Our leaders aren't even paying any regard to what we know about the virus' characteristics. Pointless waste of 400 tests, time and money before at least Jan 7th, given the potential exposure date.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
4 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

It's not so many months ago that plenty on these boards and elsewhere were jingoistically dismissing any possibility of a second wave, let alone a new strain as well. Wonder where they are now?

Our leaders aren't even paying any regard to what we know about the virus' characteristics. Pointless waste of 400 tests, time and money before at least Jan 7th, given the potential exposure date.

But it's okay, their logic is that because it has been 6 days, at least someone must end up symptomatic, so they'll surely flag up if there's an issue.

Playing devil's advocate, they have to be seen to be testing ASAP, otherwise people would ask what on earth they were doing.

Now, what would make perfect sense would be inviting people for another 'viral surveillance test' towards the end of the week. Not cheap, but it'd be giving a lot more clarity on the situation.

• Like 4
8 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

But it's okay, their logic is that because it has been 6 days, at least someone must end up symptomatic, so they'll surely flag up if there's an issue.

Playing devil's advocate, they have to be seen to be testing ASAP, otherwise people would ask what on earth they were doing.

Now, what would make perfect sense would be inviting people for another 'viral surveillance test' towards the end of the week. Not cheap, but it'd be giving a lot more clarity on the situation.

We’re actually on day 9 after 1886 and day12 on first outing on 23/12 so as Dr Ewart rightly pointed out some cases should be apparent by now.

Dont see those calling for lockdown commenting or still calling for one?

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Banker said:

We’re actually on day 9 after 1886 and day12 on first outing on 23/12 so as Dr Ewart rightly pointed out some cases should be apparent by now.

I don't see any need for a full enforced lockdown.

Common sense would however say that if people are able to avoid social gathering gs and large groups for a while, that will have a positive impact on reducing any risk that might be out there.

I was anti lockdown, and am still anti the way the UK are dealing with it.

I thibk its disgusting that they didn't implement testing for everyone coming here months ago, and I thi k its a total disgrace that there isn't a system in place to allow friends and family to visit.

I do think that having come this far and having all made the sacrifices we have its not a big ask for people to display a bit of community spirit and take personal responsibility for reducing any chance of this incident putting us all back into lockdown.  Especially since so many pubs and restaurants close at the start of January anyway and people tend to be on their keep fit and no drinking or eating out campaigns.

I listened to the briefing - all seemed pretty reasonable to me. I agree with others that a short briefing at, say, midday on 1st might have helped government communications rather than leaving it to today, but apart from that all ok. 

I think I agree with Howard that PM’s a tit, but he should try not to get so obviously irritated by him. 

• Like 4
54 minutes ago, John Wright said:

He’s never asked a deep probing question in his career. Certainly not professionally or competently.

Howie just gets ruffled by anything or anyone that isn’t fawning yes man flavoured.

But if Moulton is the only one who is getting any response and he's not a 'proper' journalist, what does that say about the rest of them?

It's interesting that Manx Telecom pulled their funding from MTTV at a time when they were getting a higher profile, but beginning to annoy our ever-sensitive government.  And at a time when MT were getting a lot of extra cash from the government for doing something you would think they were supposed to do anyway.  I'm sure these things are unconnected.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3
26 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I listened to the briefing - all seemed pretty reasonable to me. I agree with others that a short briefing at, say, midday on 1st might have helped government communications rather than leaving it to today, but apart from that all ok. 

I think I agree with Howard that PM’s a tit, but he should try not to get so obviously irritated by him. 

Thanks wrighty. If you're happy, I am.

2 minutes ago, The Old Git said:

He’ll forever be Paul Molehill to me now 

ETA is his still a journalist now MTTV is no more?

If they let Gef the Morongoose participate, then I’m happy for them to let PM participate too.

at least gives us an opportunity to see true colours of HQ.

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, Banker said:

The conference was clear enough for me to see the logic behind the current decisions. Their strategy may be proven to be wrong, but I along with everyone else posting does not have receipt of all the available information, and quite frankly even if we did we would all probably come up with several differing courses of action. My initial reaction given the information I had was to extend the holidays for a couple of weeks to see how it panned out. That might still prove to be a sensible action, but I am content to allow Ewart and others who know better than I to judge so, therefore withdraw my call for short 2 week lockdown. 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

If they let Gef the Morongoose participate, then I’m happy for them to let PM participate too.

at least gives us an opportunity to see true colours of HQ.

I’m not complaining. He’s a bit like the Peter Karran of journalism - worth it for the nuisance value. 

• Haha 1