IOM Covid removing restrictions

4 minutes ago, John Wright said:

No one is making light of it. And I post on here as me, not moderator me, unless I make it clear as moderating.

Im not sure there’s enough consensus on how offensive the C word is. We don’t have a list of forbidden words or topics and the moderators aren’t taste or thought police.

There are some words that are culturally decided  to not be acceptable. Those words changes with time and your location, ethnicity, cultural background. They may not be absolutes.

That being said we don’t generally allow N, or P, or antisemitic, or racist posts. We get accused as moderators of inconsistency but then we’re human.

So would you use the C word in Tesco and think it was OK?

This is a public place. It doesn't offend me but I know that it offends most women that I know. If we want to drive people away that's fine let them keep doing it. Personally I would kick out posters that use language like that but its just my view.:)

• Like 1
  • Replies 31k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Banker

• TheTeapot

• Gladys

• horatiotheturd

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK. For what it's worth I'm going to try and explain why genomics is important in a ssRNA virus epidemic. No doubt it will end up being recited badly at a briefing, but, well, whatever. You read it he

Rachel has tried every which way to re-offer her services. This last tweet wasn't the first time she's reached out. Government has made it very clear they do not want her to be involved. I want h

I think you'll find most so called anti-government rhetoric is focused on government-stupidity and government-selfishness. In recent times - under Brown, Bell and now Quayle - all too many govern

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

This is a public place. It doesn't offend me but I know that it offends most women that I know. If we want to drive people away that's fine let them keep doing it. Personally I would kick out posters that use language like that but its just my view.:)

The fact i wouldn’t use it personally, anywhere, is irrelevant.

You are, of course, free to stop visiting anytime you want. The matter is closed. Moderators decision final. It will be kept under review, as with everything.

Obviously I've upset Happier Diner with my language. Maybe I shouldn't have used that. I do think there is a difference in how you use it.

For example "Happier diner is a ...." not acceptable

"Those people are ....." acceptable.

That's how I see it anyway.

I'll try not to use it though in future if it helps.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, quilp said:

Is the term 'snowflake' still acceptable? 

If term 'snowflake' banned, then what do I replace it with. 10-20 years ago when lawyers told us could not put anything negative in references. We all agreed to use term "not very useful", to mean this person is unemployable w**ker.

I hope term 'educationally disadvantaged', does not get banned since have hard time describing IoM education system. Heads managed to get 'appraisals', 'SSRE', 'external validation' all banned. Maybe next plan unions is make use of terms 'SATS', 'National Curriculum', 'Ofsted', 'league tables', 'choice' a criminal offence with fixed sentencing on 6 months in gulag.   

18 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Obviously I've upset Happier Diner with my language. Maybe I shouldn't have used that. I do think there is a difference in how you use it.

For example "Happier diner is a ...." not acceptable

"Those people are ....." acceptable.

That's how I see it anyway.

I'll try not to use it though in future if it helps.

Cheers Teapot.

It wasnt you though and I wasnt upset. 

I'm a gentleman and knowing that there are women on here I would never use the word. Some think differently. Its up to them.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

I think the C word is out of time. If this forum want to attract a cross section of people and enjoy a lively debate than there is no space for this kind of bigoted sexist language. It needs to attract a cross section of our society

If this forum wants to die out as a small enclave of old sexist men with nothing to do on a evening that spout offensive language because they haven't the brains to use proper language then get on with it.

A bit of humour and sarcasm is fine

Very disappointed that a 'mod' on here is openly supporting it and making light of it

Sorry for being boring

Don't ever apologise for your opinion. Have the courage to state it without apology.

41 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

This is a public place. It doesn't offend me but I know that it offends most women

I'm a woman, and it doesn't offend me. The way it's used on here is usually for comedy value and not as an insult. There's a difference I think.

• Like 4
47 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

It's not the occasional C-bomb that stops new blood joining forums. It's the fact forums are becoming a bit of a relic, and Facebook is considerably more accessible. 

There are also a lot of views on here which are much more offensive than the occasional rude word. Though notably less than there were now that there have been a few departures. 

41 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

HaHa. No Facebook does not permit it

Not sure about Snowflake....I think its Ok for now!

Facebook is plenty sweary but is a cess-pit at the best of times. There are plenty of pages with hundreds of thousands, if not millions of likes whose name revolves around the C-word.

Though, look at the kick-off in Manx Radio comments when there's mention of a safe space for LGBTQ teenagers. Turning the kids gay so they say. If you try and disagree with the people who think this is wrong, and messing with their little Jimmy's mind, then you're probably a snowflake in their eyes.

Snowflake is a term used quite often in the context of 'your views are more liberal, forgiving or less selfish than mine, therefore you must be a snowflake as you are so woke'. Usually when there's a distinct gap in views between generations. Problem is, it's now used to defend racism, homophobia, xenophobia, transphobia etc.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Banker said:

Heard that but if 1/2 cases it’s to be expected & no cause for concern 

Well, have you heard of an R-value? and you are aware of what that is for COVID with no masks and social distancing right?

I think we'll start to see a few. It should be contained if they're on top of it, but it'll ruffle feathers.

• Like 1