IOM Covid removing restrictions

7 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

What happens when it turns out there isn't really any community spread? When in another month or so it happens again? Just another short 'circuit break' again? I know it's a concerning time and they might have done the right thing, but it'll make it harder to get people to comply in future. Something about boys, crying and wolves.

I'm properly cross about this lockdown by the way, even though I get it.

Lord knows

There is such a level of panic through huge portions of the population that they are almost pressured into a full lockdown at the slightest hint of an outbreak.

I say this as someone who though they should have implemented some form of restrictions as soon as the case at New Year came to light, maybe for a few days to figure things out.

Three weeks is insane if it turns out (as it is looking) that there isn't actually an issue

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Banker

• TheTeapot

• Gladys

• horatiotheturd

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK. For what it's worth I'm going to try and explain why genomics is important in a ssRNA virus epidemic. No doubt it will end up being recited badly at a briefing, but, well, whatever. You read it he

Rachel has tried every which way to re-offer her services. This last tweet wasn't the first time she's reached out. Government has made it very clear they do not want her to be involved. I want h

I think you'll find most so called anti-government rhetoric is focused on government-stupidity and government-selfishness. In recent times - under Brown, Bell and now Quayle - all too many govern

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Annoymouse said:

The lockdown was brought in because the chance of community spread was high, it doesn’t take long for things to get out of control, it’s better to have a 3 week lockdown than a 3 month lockdown.

Its also better to have a 3 day lockdown, test, and isolate those at the highest risk, than ot is to have an unnecessary three week lockdown

3 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

The lockdown was brought in because the chance of community spread was high, it doesn’t take long for things to get out of control, it’s better to have a 3 week lockdown than a 3 month lockdown.

I know that, it says it in my post. What happens next time the testing strategy fails because people won't stop travelling and they don't test enough? All the sensible people who've decided that travelling in a global fucking pandemic is stupid and decided to stay on island for the duration just get fucked over again?

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 9
1 minute ago, TheTeapot said:

I know that, it says it in my post. What happens next time the testing strategy fails because people won't stop travelling and they don't test enough? 

Why should it happen  again  given the new testing regime?  Surely they have plugged that (obvious, and entirely predicted) hoke now?

3 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

I hate the lockdown but can't see a realistic option. If we got to the stage where even five to ten people a day were becoming infected, it wouldn't be long before we had an unacceptable level of hospital admissions and subsequent deaths. 

4 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

Lord knows

There is such a level of panic through huge portions of the population that they are almost pressured into a full lockdown at the slightest hint of an outbreak.

I say this as someone who though they should have implemented some form of restrictions as soon as the case at New Year came to light, maybe for a few days to figure things out.

Three weeks is insane if it turns out (as it is looking) that there isn't actually an issue

Howie got rather shirty when questioned over length of lockdown, what if no community spread etc & basically ended conference, he was pretty rattled!

£18m minimum for probably no community spread 

• Like 2

My guess FWIW is that if there are no new community cases, the lockdown will ease as of next Wednesday with construction going back, with non essential retail opening the following week, and then everything open at the end of January. The clamour to get back to normal will be too much to resist politically if there is no community transmission. Teapot is right in that the public need to be kept on side, and that would be very hard to do if restrictions were kept in place for no obvious reason. I wouldn’t be surprised though if our borders go to Level 5 at the end of January until the UK sorts itself out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

Its also better to have a 3 day lockdown, test, and isolate those at the highest risk, than ot is to have an unnecessary three week lockdown

The time for a 3 day lockdown was before the majority of people went back to work after Christmas break on the Monday/Tuesday, especially after knowing that the crowd out on 26/12 would have been likely to be out on 31/12

13 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

Lord knows

I agree. But we should not get carried away. Strong chance some of those Ramsay close contacts will go positive after incubation period. Fingers crossed we'll get lucky but if we don't it'll be 14days after that which takes us to 21days in total.

8 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

My guess FWIW is that if there are no new community cases, the lockdown will ease as of next Wednesday with construction going back, with non essential retail opening the following week, and then everything open at the end of January. The clamour to get back to normal will be too much to resist politically if there is no community transmission. Teapot is right in that the public need to be kept on side, and that would be very hard to do if restrictions were kept in place for no obvious reason. I wouldn’t be surprised though if our borders go to Level 5 at the end of January until the UK sorts itself out.

According to Iom government site we are already at level 5 wef 5/01

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

Fingers crossed, I think 10 days will be the minimum, a lot of people testing day 1 negative from possible community transmission could really do with being retested.

1 hour ago, Banker said:

So total cost of new support schemes c £18m or £1m per case, could have tested whole island for less!!

Alf said £8-10m I believe. If you've got an extra £8m stashed somewhere can I have some?