IOM Covid removing restrictions

6 minutes ago, jaymann said:

I can tell you first hand that even this 3 week lockdown has deferred some businesses moving over, let alone our last one and subsequent border controls.

Well if the government didn’t advertise us as some sort of paradise Covid free  island and actively encourage people to relocate here then there is a good chance some of these positive cases wouldn’t have existed either.

• Like 3
  • Replies 31k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Banker

• TheTeapot

• Gladys

• horatiotheturd

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK. For what it's worth I'm going to try and explain why genomics is important in a ssRNA virus epidemic. No doubt it will end up being recited badly at a briefing, but, well, whatever. You read it he

Rachel has tried every which way to re-offer her services. This last tweet wasn't the first time she's reached out. Government has made it very clear they do not want her to be involved. I want h

I think you'll find most so called anti-government rhetoric is focused on government-stupidity and government-selfishness. In recent times - under Brown, Bell and now Quayle - all too many govern

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Well if the government didn’t advertise us as some sort of paradise Covid free  island and actively encourage people to relocate here then there is a good chance some of these positive cases wouldn’t have existed either.

Well, I mean, I believe the Christmas / NY first cluster was the result of a chef on a relocation pathway. Not exactly a HNWI (or maybe they are, I won't assume).

There have been huge efforts by DfE - quite rightly - to try to keep encouraging businesses to move here despite the pandemic. With varying success. Remote working is a big thing now and I imagine the Bahamas are having more joy with their "come work from here remotely for 12 months" campaign.

Edited by jaymann
Just now, jaymann said:

What do you want me to say? I've seen it first hand and Gov are canvassing businesses due to relocate on how lockdown has impacted their timetables. One due to move end of this month now won't move until at least March. They won't plan for a Feb move because they don't believe this will only last 21 days, despite Gov insistence it most likely will be no more than 21 days.

It doesn't make a lot of difference to the IOM whether a small business moves here now or in March.

2 minutes ago, pongo said:

It doesn't make a lot of difference to the IOM whether a small business moves here now or in March.

You assume they're small..?

One gaming business had plans to establish almost 150 jobs here last year, yet its delayed even further.

Edited by jaymann
2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

I know that, it says it in my post. What happens next time the testing strategy fails because people won't stop travelling and they don't test enough? All the sensible people who've decided that travelling in a global fucking pandemic is stupid and decided to stay on island for the duration just get fucked over again?

I have been quite annoyed the past few days (fairly rare) firstly because the recent outbreak was avoidable and secondly because I noticed people from known families on the island who decided going on Christmas holiday to locations with crowds from around the world with no social distancing is socially acceptable. On one hand, we get the Chief Minister telling us people should only make essential travel and on other people seeking off island and taking absolute liberties.

Should the press be namely and shaming these people, and know from now on I will think of these people differently.

Edited by BenFairfax
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, jaymann said:

Yes mostly. But even the larger employers here are now rapidly moving towards work from home. It's why getting fibre out to even the rural barn conversions is now so important.

29 minutes ago, jaymann said:

We were told many times that a Day 1 test would only detect 7% of possible cases, because that is what Public Health England reckoned was the figure, with no actual basis other than a scientific guess.

The scientists called for Day 13 tests but even @rachomics didn't believe in a Day 1 or on-arrival test, deeming it a wasted exercise. The figures we have had over recent days flagging up multiple Day 1 positive results must highlight a substantial percentage of returning residents testing positive on Day 1.

The objections to testing on arrival, which some people were advocating, was that that was all they were advocating (as was being done in Jersey).  So it might provide false reassurance to the subsequently infectious.  But in any case if you are going to have two-stage test (as you ought you're better going for a test in the 3-5 day range as travelling itself may be a likely time of infection and arrival will be too early to pick it up.

The only argument for testing on arrival, if you are allowing people to isolate privately (as here), is that it means you get to test everyone at least once and can also use the opportunity to check other things such as how people are isolating.  But the Isle of Man threw away even that because they decided that meeting everyone on arrival was too much like hard work and only swabbed arrivals when they felt like it.

The 7% was always nonsense (I dig out the study it was based on and it was the probability derived from a model of becoming positive during a mid-haul flight).  The real worry was that Ashford kept repeating it and there was clearly no one in DHSC with the scientific knowledge to stop him.

Just now, pongo said:

Yes mostly. But even the larger employers here are now rapidly moving towards work from home. It's why getting fibre out to even the rural barn conversions is now so important.

Even the national strategy for fibre rollout is years behind where it should be.

Our financial services sector lost huge amounts of business to Jersey last summer.

The relocation of businesses will come, but it's all being delayed by IOM factors in the most part.

5 minutes ago, pongo said:

Rural barn conversions? Not got good broadband here in King Edward Road! 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, jaymann said:

One gaming business had plans to establish almost 150 jobs here last year, yet its delayed even further.

Where else? Wjy delay ? Only the North Pole is better on the rona stats than here (probably)

3 minutes ago, jaymann said:

The relocation of businesses will come, but it's all being delayed by IOM factors in the most part.

A little delay shouldn't really matter. This is a great place to work from. That doesn't change long term. Nobody is holding their breath wishing it could all happen sooner.

11 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

The objections to testing on arrival, which some people were advocating, was that that was all they were advocating (as was being done in Jersey).  So it might provide false reassurance to the subsequently infectious.  But in any case if you are going to have two-stage test (as you ought you're better going for a test in the 3-5 day range as travelling itself may be a likely time of infection and arrival will be too early to pick it up.

The only argument for testing on arrival, if you are allowing people to isolate privately (as here), is that it means you get to test everyone at least once and can also use the opportunity to check other things such as how people are isolating.  But the Isle of Man threw away even that because they decided that meeting everyone on arrival was too much like hard work and only swabbed arrivals when they felt like it.

The 7% was always nonsense (I dig out the study it was based on and it was the probability derived from a model of becoming positive during a mid-haul flight).  The real worry was that Ashford kept repeating it and there was clearly no one in DHSC with the scientific knowledge to stop him.

With testing, and false reassurance, why tell people the results prior to day 14.

Regard to "meeting everyone on arrival was too much like hard work" remind as even of saying 'if they think safety is too expensive, try an accident'.

"The 7%" - We all said here this is nonsense and found original article Lord Ashford was trying to quote. The assumption as I recall in the article was for a plane where all people boarding were tested. That not the same here, but saying that with UK introducing tests for inward travelers now, it is closer to reality with Manx residents which go on holiday. And I do not think holiday represents "essential travel".

But with everything @rachomics (a domain expert, PhD in area, then 14 years experience) told them exactly what needs to occur, Comin rolled the dice and their numbers came up, and we all got locked down.

Edited by BenFairfax
typo
12 minutes ago, jaymann said:

Our financial services sector lost huge amounts of business to Jersey last summer.

Do have one example of this? Did not listen to detail of presentation today, but imagine Treasury would be flagging this. Anyway, great to see a Jersey fan is back and I tally up 27 deaths in Jersey from 2nd wave (zero here), so would point out need to tally any economic gains against all future economic activity of these individuals.

20 minutes ago, BenFairfax said:

I have been quite annoyed the past few days (fairly rare) firstly because the recent outbreak was avoidable and secondly because I noticed people from known families on the island who decided going on Christmas holiday to locations with crowds from around the world with no social distancing is socially acceptable. On one hand, we get the Chief Minister telling us people should only make essential travel and on other people seeking off island and taking absolute liberties.

Should the press be namely and shaming these people, and know from now on I will think of these people differently.

I can't believe that can be true.

Please tell me you are on a wind up. Please.