Jump to content

IOM Covid removing restrictions


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

Its been 10 months

I think everyone need to accept that many many people that live and work here do so because it is an amazing and beautiful 'base'.

That- in normal times - is easily accessible to get to and from as and when you want or need to.

I can certainly see why people are going crazy over it. I won't ridicule them for it and nor should anyone else. Their being here on our Island is likely a benefit to us economically and helps to maintain a wider quality of life for everyone else.

Edited by jaymann
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Banker

    2280

  • TheTeapot

    1328

  • Gladys

    1178

  • horatiotheturd

    1015

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK. For what it's worth I'm going to try and explain why genomics is important in a ssRNA virus epidemic. No doubt it will end up being recited badly at a briefing, but, well, whatever. You read it he

Rachel has tried every which way to re-offer her services. This last tweet wasn't the first time she's reached out. Government has made it very clear they do not want her to be involved. I want h

I think you'll find most so called anti-government rhetoric is focused on government-stupidity and government-selfishness. In recent times - under Brown, Bell and now Quayle - all too many govern

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

Its been 10 months

Exactly

I rarely do 10 days without a trip away normally.

You live your life and I live mine.

It would appear your lifestyle has been much less impacted by these unnecessary restrictions than mine has.

And yes, lots of business is being lost at the moment to other jurisdictions 

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Barlow said:

I can't believe that can be true.

Please tell me you are on a wind up. Please.

It not wind up, believe me. They will come back with a good tan that for sure. You will see these people around. They would stick to quaranteen, but amazes me lack of empathy some people have. Funny thing is I thought guy was OK, wife bit of air head but that usually case when guy got bit of money.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BenFairfax said:

It not wind up, believe me. They will come back with a good tan that for sure. You will see these people around. They would stick to quaranteen, but amazes me lack of empathy some people have. Funny thing is I thought guy was OK, wife bit of air head but that usually case when guy got bit of money.

There's a decent amount of private jet movements on a near daily basis between IOM and European sun destinations.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

I like to go away too

Me too. Been all over. Quite happy to be here now and working remotely with clients abroad.

This is a great place to work remotely from. I can't understand the sort of people who still need a face-to-face or a handshake.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, pongo said:

Me too. Been all over. Quite happy to be here now and working remotely with clients abroad.

This is a great place to work remotely from. I can't understand the sort of people who still need a face-to-face or a handshake.

Thats fine.  Good for you

Working remotely doesn't work for me or the businesses who were going to relocate here and haven't.

Just checked and I did 24 flights and 8 ferry crossings before lockdown last year.

Being stuck here is shit and unnecessary 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jaymann said:

There's a decent amount of private jet movements on a near daily basis between IOM and European sun destinations.

Exactly, been flying all time. Traveling to see close family one thing, but traveling to find distraction of otherwise pointless existence putting themselves and others at risk is another matter. Producing photos of social gatherings like its Christmas 2019, is another matter again.

You have a decent number of people of working age who only moved to Isle of Man for tax reasons, and since they arrived have found nothing constructive to do with themselves. I would estimate 30% households which have kids in Buchan have no one "working" (being a silent partner/director and spending 4 months on holiday a year in my book means you are not working). These people are likely going mad here, and hence skew moral judgements.

[Going to get into trouble posting this, but what the hell] 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

There's some interesting stuff on this twitter thread. CoMin, rob fucking callister and martyn perkins voted against more testing? Wankers.

To make it worse the motion actually passed and CoMin then did sod all about it - which shows you how much notice the civil service takes of Tynwald.  Thomas's basic motion was a bit of a placeholder to allow debate on the response to Covid to take place (and make the point that there had been very little debate) but Shimmins put forward an amendment (l 2638):

Tynwald is also of the opinion that –

1. further urgent consideration should be given for all arrivals to be tested for COVID-19 with additional testing to take place at intervals after arrival within the 14-day isolation period to enable exploration of additional options to manage infection risks and other considerations; and

2. an Emergency Advisory Group should be set up to provide broad advice and input to support decision making in a collaborative and transparent manner.’

It's worth looking through the debate to show the extraordinary attitudes of CoMin - Quayle is even more bizarre than usual.  But both parts passed.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jaymann said:

Speak to any decent and reputable tax advisor you know and you'll get more than one example.

 

There are very few of them. Most are pirates who I wouldn't piss on if ablaze. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

To make it worse the motion actually passed and CoMin then did sod all about it - which shows you how much notice the civil service takes of Tynwald.  Thomas's basic motion was a bit of a placeholder to allow debate on the response to Covid to take place (and make the point that there had been very little debate) but Shimmins put forward an amendment (l 2638):

Tynwald is also of the opinion that –

1. further urgent consideration should be given for all arrivals to be tested for COVID-19 with additional testing to take place at intervals after arrival within the 14-day isolation period to enable exploration of additional options to manage infection risks and other considerations; and

2. an Emergency Advisory Group should be set up to provide broad advice and input to support decision making in a collaborative and transparent manner.’

It's worth looking through the debate to show the extraordinary attitudes of CoMin - Quayle is even more bizarre than usual.  But both parts passed.

What date was the debate, it does look like we have been misled by Howie & ashie 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, horatiotheturd said:

Exactly

I rarely do 10 days without a trip away normally.

You live your life and I live mine.

It would appear your lifestyle has been much less impacted by these unnecessary restrictions than mine has.

And yes, lots of business is being lost at the moment to other jurisdictions 

You erm, do realise that the UK, and indeed the rest of the World is going through hell just now?
I think you need to spend a bit of time somewhere - anywhere - else for a few weeks, then you will see IoM is not so bad, even in its lockdown. 

Sorry if that sounds patronising, but I think you have lost a sense of perspective.

.

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Barlow said:

You erm, do realise that the UK, and indeed the rest of the World is going through hell just now?
I think you need to spend a bit of time somewhere - anywhere - else for a few weeks, then you will see IoM is not so bad, even in its lockdown. 

Sorry if that sounds patronising, but I think you have lost a sense of perspective.

.

 

So explain to me why my relatives who want to come here and spend time with their family can't do so if they are prepared to isolate and take all the required tests.

There is no justification and its inhumane 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Banker said:

What date was the debate, it does look like we have been misled by Howie & ashie 

If you follow Roger's link you will be able to read the Hansard. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...