Politicians are opting out of wage increases

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, gettafa said:

At the recent Positive Action Group MLC question times event, Bill Henderson was asked about the pending pay rise.

He was extremely magnanimous in saying that he would accept whatever the committee (or whoever/whatever it is) who are looking into it recommend. Saying this of course knowing full well they would nod it through. And as if he had a choice (although actually he does - he could just say no).

Anyway, and importantly, I think this politicians' pay-rise thing is just small beer. After 'all this' there will be the elephant in the room task of addressing such high pay and conditions to civil servants (including pensions). 

In the IOM Newspapers piece, Hooper mentions the new proposals from the Committee and points out that they are the important thing.  Henderson was violently against them of course, because he would have been the biggest loser (I analysed the figures when the proposals came out).  Since then it's all been silent.  Constitutionally they may not need to ever discuss them because it wasn't a formal Tynwald committee that produced the recommendations (they chickened out of doing it themselves and asked Sir Miles and chums to do so instead) and I suspect it is being deferred on some pious grounds about the current crisis and not wanting to be seen agreeing to a pay rise.  Though they're quite happy to get an automatic one[1]. 

In reality it is unlikely that the proposals will get passed because the good thing about them is that they loosen the grip of the civil service on the Tynwald members by getting rid of most of the supplements, which would mean they can oppose stuff they disagree without financial consequences.  so I would expect them to be forgotten about.  No doubt Henderson did as well (even without the current excuse) hence his willingness to 'accept' something that he thought would never happen.  

Of course if Tynwald really wanted to make a genuine gesture about how we are all in it together, they could accept the proposals but reduce the new basic salary[2] - ideally by decoupling it from the Civil Service payscale which means they are always keen to see that go up at the moment.  How likely do we think that is, children?

But as gettafa says this is all tinkering at the edges.  The real savings to be made are in getting rid of and amalgamating a lot of administrative and managerial positions and in cutting back on the capital projects they invent to keep themselves busy.

Edited to add link, but also to note that Quayle has now finally got round to replacing Allinson as Cabinet Office DM and it's with Hooper.  In some ways it's a good appointment in skills terms, but I fear it will mean that Hooper ends up muzzled on most topics.  Maybe it will mean he will end up making a list of what bits need to go (clue: most of them) but there's always a fear he will 'go native').

[1]  I'm not really sure how they can 'refuse' such a pay rise but it wouldn't surprise me if it just means that they end up getting it later in the year -possibly backdated.

[2]  The Committee was unable to recommend this because the proposals had to revenue neutral.  So getting rid of most of the supplementary payments meant that the basic salary had to rise.

Edited by Roger Mexico
  • Like 2
  • Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You are talking here about a bunch of self-centered shysters who voted to make the disabled pay for their parking whilst retaining free parking for themselves. Tells you all you need to know abo

Thanks Rob

Henderson, odds on.

Posted Images

Posted (edited)

Perhaps Sir Miles and his committee could be invited back in the light of events to have another good look at benefits & pay for Tynwald members and that of senior CSPS bods?

Edited by Donald Trumps
3 hours ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Having had to deal with her in a professional capacity - I am not in the least surprised (She is astonishingly self entitled so is probably asking can she have everyone else's too)  

You’re the umpteenth person to say this... You tend to find self-entitled people have no self esteem though... She’s an unlikeable person as she probably doesn’t like herself very much, she tries too hard.. this is why people find her annoying/know-it-all/disingenuous. I don’t think Ms August-Hanson is in the right job for her personality unfortunately.... 

With regards to Henderson, we will be waiting a terribly long time to get a clear answer out of him,,, the issue is I really don’t think he gives a toss what people think as long as the money keeps rolling in.. he’s always got his blinkers on..! 

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

Has anyone asked Bill for his views on taking a 30% New Zealand style pay cut yet? for the hell of it mainly 

He answered it a couple of years back when he said publicly that he couldn't get by on less than £50k a year. There's been inflation since then. That's his excuse.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, GillR said:

he’s always got his blinkers on..! 

Blinkers... or feed-bag?

6 hours ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Having had to deal with her in a professional capacity - I am not in the least surprised (She is astonishingly self entitled so is probably asking can she have everyone else's too)  

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/mlc-discusses-concerns-over-in-work-povery-rise/

Two faced as always.  A genuinely contrary little madam who holds herself in high esteem. 

3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Edited to add link, but also to note that Quayle has now finally got round to replacing Allinson as Cabinet Office DM and it's with Hooper.  In some ways it's a good appointment in skills terms, but I fear it will mean that Hooper ends up muzzled on most topics.  Maybe it will mean he will end up making a list of what bits need to go (clue: most of them) but there's always a fear he will 'go native').

Hoopers taken the Quayle Shilling.

He holds himself in the highest of esteem so should fit in the CO, really well.

I listened to Tynwald on tuesday and for some reason which i couldn't put my finger on, he seemed to be a changed wesseling little sycophant.

Now the penny has dropped,

He won't go native, he already has.