Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man

14 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

You would see an interesting shift in lockdown opinion were some of the CS/PS subject to the private sector approach of reducing pay or hours of staff who are not required.

Exactly.  Don't see any teachers saying "Do you know that percentage increase in wages we said was an insult?,we've thought better of it and realise there's tougher jobs out there"

• Thanks 1

At the moment the government are totally reliant on banking, insurance and eGaming continuing to pay their staff in full.

If those industries start to reduce head counts or reduce pay or temporarily lay people off then everything will instantly be back up and running.

Posted (edited)

I think you’ll see a shift in mindset when the Government support monies are suspended toward the back end of this month & employers start shedding jobs in VERY large numbers.

The economic climate isn’t picking up any time soon & the Govt. won’t be funding the Prosecco garden parties for much longer.

Reality is going to bite hard & quickly for an awful lot of folk here & across the water.

Edited by Nom de plume
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

But there's 8000 government workers getting full pay with a lot of them, health care excluded doing fuck all!

if the teachers who are working need a rest why aren't the ones doing nothing taking there place. There's a lot of them live nearby who are enjoying an extended holiday on full pay!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Has anyone got any links to return to work forms? According to one of my colleagues there are forms to be completed daily but I can't find anything. 

1 hour ago, Golfer said:

But there's 8000 government workers getting full pay with a lot of them, health care excluded doing **** all!

And if a couple more thousand private sector go on the dole, instead of being supported on furlough, while all govt employees stay on full pay - there'll be a riot.

• Like 6

I thought the teachers were working on a rota to provide cover to school the children in school at the minute.

9 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

And if a couple more thousand private sector go on the dole, instead of being supported on furlough, while all govt employees stay on full pay - there'll be a riot.

Equally there will be no tax paid by a huge number of people so where will government money for wages magically come from? 

9 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

No there won’t. In time honoured fashion, there will be moans on this forum and white book. Other than that, nothing

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

I thought the teachers were working on a rota to provide cover to school the children in school at the minute.

Maybe in some schools but as I said there's lots doing nothing, the head teacher they had on at weekend said they had 15 pupils! Not a lot of teachers needed there 

36 minutes ago, Manx Expat said:

Equally there will be no tax paid by a huge number of people so where will government money for wages magically come from? 

Why do you think they're harping on about a two hundred and fifty million quid bail out!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, finlo said:

Why do you think they're harping on about a two hundred and fifty million quid bail out!

Is that what they’re saying? That’s money for a Commis Express in every town. 

20 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Quite a few Govt workers now being redeployed to Govt areas that are still open, such as the Post Office. At least that's trying to justify their pay I suppose but there must be a limit to how many they can accommodate.

I was told that QE2 school is having to accommodate a whole four kids of key workers on some days with designated numbers of staff being called in to do it.

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Quite a few Govt workers now being redeployed to Govt areas that are still open, such as the Post Office. At least that's trying to justify their pay I suppose but there must be a limit to how many they can accommodate.

I was told that QE2 school is having to accommodate a whole four kids of key workers on some days with designated numbers of staff being called in to do it.

there should be enough jobs around the island that need doing, they could redeploy the majority of them to get it done

12 hours ago, finlo said:

Read on Manx Radio site last night that the tax returns are being sent out a month late and if you are due a rebate it will take a lot longer than normal.....

Gov must be really short of money which is quite a worry.