Jump to content
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
starcat

Abbotswood Covid19

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Rog said:

In this case every indication is that Abbotswood FAILED to provide a safe environment for residents and staff. The government FAILED to react to an emerging situation.

Moreover in addition to defined terms there are implicit requirements.

As said in my post yesterday, I am not in possession of the facts relating to Abbotswood so I cannot form an opinion Rog.

With regard to your second point (which I agree with) - Whilst there are of course implied terms as well as explicit ones, the sheer volume of contracts being repeated means that more and more of the implied terms have now been incorporated into the contract to the extent that what 10 years ago might have been a three page standard contract with a further two pages each for risk assessment and care plan has now morphed into a fixed 73 page contract between the Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) and ourselves which when added to the RA & CP provides a document of around 100 - 150 pages for each and every admission thereby leaving little room for debate as to what was implied!

Edited by Manximus Aururaneus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Government reacted quickly to the situation, putting staff in to help and try and stall the virus getting a grip but the virus had already spread , elderly people, close contact etc...perfect storm.   I see we have a new member name of Leon..little charmer that hopefully will disappear when the bored go back to work.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This dreadful  catastrophe is very sadly, not unique.

Look at what is happening elsewhere in the UK in care homes and further afield.

We should remember that many care home  tragedies at this time involve homes with dementia residents.

 

Anyone who has ever  spent more than a just 15 minutes  visiting someone an EMI unit will appreciate just how difficult it is deal with someone who is unable to understand everyday  things such feeding, toileting and ”exhibiting challenging behaviour “ with the added problem of “wandering” (or the new term pc term  “Purposeful walking).

To long-forgotten  social behaviour  regarding defeacation, urination , spitting can now be added emotional crises.Just   keeping to your own room and not wandering into someone else's and exhibiting any of the former traits are things which demented people, because of their condition, simply can no longer comprehend.

The residents are highly vulnerable :

1.An age and condition related immunological vulnerability to this virus.

2. A compounding factor -the danger as a result of  their cognitive  failure.

Infection control in these situations is at best an aspiration , more realistically , a nightmare.

There is huge burden of responsibility on staff.

In a few weeks they have had to evolve from carers to  being  untrained guards shielding them from this  virus.

It is certainly not a job that I would be able to do.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My dad was unfortunately one of the residents who passed away at Abbotswood. It's very easy, after the fact, to focus on apportioning blame, to advise (from afar) on what ‘should have been’ – and assume that many of the people and organizations involved are incompetent. From our family’s perspective, in the early stages of the crisis, the staff (and management) at the time tried really hard to protect the residents – stopping all visits, sleeping on-site in two shifts to minimize passage in and out of the building and so on. In hindsight, this wasn’t enough to prevent the tragedy – but the world was only just coming to terms with the sheer scale of the issue and understanding what steps and measures would be required. It is much easier to look back and criticise than to look forward and predict how things would unfold.

The staff and management are clearly devastated with what has happened – and I believe that much of the criticism is undeserved. The care sector worldwide is struggling to manage the issue – and if Abbotswood ends up being the limit of the care home tragedy on the Island, it will have been a narrow escape for the others. I hope that this is the case.

Also, the nature of the residents conditions and behaviour – and I include my dad in this - doesn’t make it easy. Many simply don’t understand what is going on, are difficult or impossible to persuade to follow advise or instructions – and are unpredictable and sometimes unruly. Given how difficult and disturbing this in the best of times, I don’t underestimate how much more difficult it must be in a crisis.

In the case of our family at least, we don’t blame the management, staff or the government for dad’s passing. Their response wasn’t perfect – but it’s a global tragedy and fate pays a part too.

Micky

 

  • Like 18
  • Thanks 8
  • Sad 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Micky - just a quick message to express my sorrow for your sad loss.

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MickyBlue said:

My dad was unfortunately one of the residents who passed away at Abbotswood. It's very easy, after the fact, to focus on apportioning blame, to advise (from afar) on what ‘should have been’ – and assume that many of the people and organizations involved are incompetent. From our family’s perspective, in the early stages of the crisis, the staff (and management) at the time tried really hard to protect the residents – stopping all visits, sleeping on-site in two shifts to minimize passage in and out of the building and so on. In hindsight, this wasn’t enough to prevent the tragedy – but the world was only just coming to terms with the sheer scale of the issue and understanding what steps and measures would be required. It is much easier to look back and criticise than to look forward and predict how things would unfold.

The staff and management are clearly devastated with what has happened – and I believe that much of the criticism is undeserved. The care sector worldwide is struggling to manage the issue – and if Abbotswood ends up being the limit of the care home tragedy on the Island, it will have been a narrow escape for the others. I hope that this is the case.

Also, the nature of the residents conditions and behaviour – and I include my dad in this - doesn’t make it easy. Many simply don’t understand what is going on, are difficult or impossible to persuade to follow advise or instructions – and are unpredictable and sometimes unruly. Given how difficult and disturbing this in the best of times, I don’t underestimate how much more difficult it must be in a crisis.

In the case of our family at least, we don’t blame the management, staff or the government for dad’s passing. Their response wasn’t perfect – but it’s a global tragedy and fate pays a part too.

Micky

 

My father was one as well. I agree entirely with your sentiments.

  • Like 17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2020 at 11:44 AM, Southfork said:

I don’t envy anyone faced with this either but when nearly all our Covid deaths come from one home I’m not really unsurprised that government is taking the approach that it’s been taking. This one home has made our otherwise low Covid numbers look like crap and those stats will be on record forever. I don’t agree with them moving residents out as I agree it seems to present an additional infection risk elsewhere. But things seem to have been very badly managed at Abbotswood to result in 20 or so deaths and all that shouting and wailing about PPE right at the start blaming government looks like a complete smokescreen and attempt to shift blame to most people I’ve spoken to. 

"This one home has made our otherwise low Covid numbers look like crap and those stats will be on record forever." - Funny, I don't recall this being a competition.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Leon said:

"This one home has made our otherwise low Covid numbers look like crap and those stats will be on record forever." - Funny, I don't recall this being a competition.

Nobody overtly states it that way, but it is, at least in the minds of many.  We're forever seeing comparisons between various jurisdictions both here and on the news (eg "why aren't we as good as the Germans", "UK most deaths in Europe", "Jersey relaxing restrictions, why can't we?") and suggestions that it's reporting differences in how we count deaths, or various countries are covering up to look good etc.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, wrighty said:

Nobody overtly states it that way, but it is, at least in the minds of many.  We're forever seeing comparisons between various jurisdictions both here and on the news (eg "why aren't we as good as the Germans", "UK most deaths in Europe", "Jersey relaxing restrictions, why can't we?") and suggestions that it's reporting differences in how we count deaths, or various countries are covering up to look good etc.

I can't help but wonder if we statistically showed normal community deaths vs care home deaths alongside the same pair of statistics how that would look compared to other countries. Its the main problem with lumping them all together.

I remain worried that now it is also appearing that we have infections in at least 1 other home, that we arent out the woods just yet regarding care home deaths.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Nobody overtly states it that way, but it is, at least in the minds of many.  We're forever seeing comparisons between various jurisdictions both here and on the news (eg "why aren't we as good as the Germans", "UK most deaths in Europe", "Jersey relaxing restrictions, why can't we?") and suggestions that it's reporting differences in how we count deaths, or various countries are covering up to look good etc.

You have a point but to demonise a business that has successfully looked after around 60 of the most vulnerable people on the Island for 25 years is abhorrent and it makes me sad that some of the people on this Island are so narrow minded. When I moved here over 30 years ago I was warned about the "Manx Crabs" Now I know what they mean. Sad for a beautiful Island.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/9/2020 at 8:03 PM, Flossie said:

Speechless...... Ransacked and destroyed?? 

What would you call ripping up and skipping carpets and furniture and removing items to the hospital?  Surely not a lawful course of action in a building that does not belong to you.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2020 at 3:42 PM, Leon said:

For those that think that there is "something very amiss" about Abbotswood. A read through the recent January inspection by DHSC show otherwise. https://www.gov.im/media/1360404/inspection-report-abbotswood-final-for-website-19230120.pdf

Looks like inspections and registrations will have questions to answer, they work within DHSC so will have to validate their inspection. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, hissingsid said:

The Government reacted quickly to the situation, putting staff in to help and try and stall the virus getting a grip but the virus had already spread , elderly people, close contact etc...perfect storm.   I see we have a new member name of Leon..little charmer that hopefully will disappear when the bored go back to work.

Government stepped in after the fact and as an alternative to hospital admission for the residents who had the virus, does anyone know why infected residents were not received into hospital care? And chose instead to send their nurses into the home, quite bizarre action, leaving the infected in a home with uninflected.   

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Leon said:

"This one home has made our otherwise low Covid numbers look like crap and those stats will be on record forever." - Funny, I don't recall this being a competition.

It's pretty insensitive to the relatives of those who died, to put it mildly: "Ignore the deaths of those people - I've decided they don't count".  It's also deeply dishonest - any fool can make things look good by ignoring the stuff he doesn't like.  The fact that the UK government has decided to go that way doesn't make it right[1] and it's to the credit of the Manx government they haven't tried to - though it would have been counter-productive if they had.

But it isn't even true.  The four deaths completely unrelated to Abbotswood would be equivalent to 47 per million.  Lower, but still higher than other similar places such as Iceland or Malta or the Faroes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, buncha wankas said:

Government stepped in after the fact and as an alternative to hospital admission for the residents who had the virus, does anyone know why infected residents were not received into hospital care? And chose instead to send their nurses into the home, quite bizarre action, leaving the infected in a home with uninflected.   

Some of the residents were admitted, but others may simply have been too frail to move and it may be that they wouldn't have benefited from the sort of interventions that intensive care could provide.  That's before you even get to the problems of treating, for example, dementia patients in such units.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...