11 hours ago, Sentience said:

In the UK, and for the most part the rest of the educated world, 'promise of performance' better than the competition is indeed the way to win public support (by buying YOUR offering) and an 'operating license'. 

The Island has basically 2 operators, MT & Sure. Really, apart from slightly different offers come contract renewal time, the only difference is usually just 'Handset payment upfront prices'.

There's NO DIFFERENCE in terms of network speeds etc because they all use the same infrastructure, ie the actual cableing laid down years ago by MT, 2 copper wires, which Sure and any other future operator (unlikely) would have to utilise AND pay rental for the use of.

5G, as unpopular as it appears to be,  (I include my own feelings too on medical concerns) apart from clever network management protocols, has the only chance of offering any real alternative packages.

He who builds, (gets the notoriously difficult planning permission to do so) the most masts, is the winner! 

End of, unfortunately :crying:

Do neither MT or Sure make promises of performance?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So a private company, (MT) in business really only to please their shareholders financially, is given IOM Government money.....OUR MONEY!... ENABLED BY COLLECTION OF TAXES! to provide 'Fibre to the ho

Ask the farmers?

Hang on, I thought we had a world class telecoms infrastructure. At least that’s what is highlighted in DfE’s websites.

28 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Do neither MT or Sure make promises of performance?

I was quoted by both that I would expect 'Up to 60m download'. I only ever get around 30m on a good day.  Upload is only 3 to 5m....'on a good day'.

Their 'get out' are those two words....'up to'

• Like 2
Posted (edited)

Mine's the same

Tho' it's dropping out completely quite a lot at the moment

Edited by Donald Trumps
  • Like 1

It is just too expensive, as compared to the UK and most of Europe. In most of Europe, it is possible to get a good fibre broadband for 25-30 EUR.

I don't know what is the problem. Someone  should explain it to me. And comparing with Jersey is not an excuse!

• Like 1

higher cost partly due to few economies of scale though this should be offset by relatively small distances but by far the greatest cost is the ownership who are there to maximise income (rather like Manx Gas with its mythical 10% profit cap) at the lowest acceptable service level and monopolies can set this far too low.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I heard a rumour that certain landowners (farmers) signed deals some time ago to allow data cables to travel across their land. The deals were calculated on a cost per mb. If that is true, can you imagine the ever increasing payments to said landowners. Well played by the landowners if it is the case, but legacy deals such as this will be costing MT a fortune.

5 hours ago, Out of the blue said:

but legacy deals such as this will be costing MT a fortune.

It won't be costing MT a fortune. Not ultimately. It will be MTs customers who will be paying. And the taxpayers.

• Sad 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Just an update, at 20:35 tonight on my 'Up to 60Mbps' contract with Sure (thru MT's infrasture) I currently have 9.7 down and 4.65 up, wired, not me, my connection!

I don't like it and neither do Netflix or Amazon Prime.

This is getting worse, and I am not prepared to accept Covid 19 is completely to blame.

C'mon the worlds so called leading communications companies pull the proverbial finger out and prove you are!!

Oh wait...you are a happy duopoly.....you don't need to prove anything really do you.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Sentience said:

Just an update, at 20:35 tonight on my 'Up to 60Mbps' contract with Sure (thru MT's infrasture) I currently have 9.7 down and 4.65 up, wired, not me, my connection!

This is getting worse, and I am not prepared to accept Covid 19 is completely to blame.

C'mon the worlds so called leading communications companies pull the proverbial finger out and prove you are!!

Oh wait...you are a happy duopoly.....you don't need to prove anything really do you.

Cant entirely blame MT as 'their infrastructure'.. not sure if you've ever realised but all of Sure's network is routed through bloody Guernsey so it'll always be slower. Every time.

35 minutes ago, Sentience said:

That’s good compared to what I’m getting on MT. 

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, Sentience said:

What are you trying to do on your connection though? What does the download speed matter? How different is it during the quieter periods?

Sure has backhaul that’s different to MT so it’s not all about the infrastructure on Island.

people get massively hung up on the numbers when the reality is it makes no difference unless there is something quite specific you are struggling with.

speed advertising is slowly stopping across the EU and more focus is being put on performance of applications with things like Netflix/Google/Facebook Caches deployed in service providers data centres rather than in different countries.

14 hours ago, Sentience said:

Yeah, I was unable to load iPlayer late last night & had to abandon BBC Newsnight altogether

Sky News on YouTube was better but not brilliant

It's not so much the speed I have a problem with, its the amount of drop outs. They're never for long, a minute or so, but its a total pain in the ass, especially on the xbox.

• Like 1