National thank a teacher day

Pongo I agree with you entirely.   Things will pick up again albeit slowly they always do and a lot of people will be happier and healthier for having this break and having time to evaluate what really counts.   All this mental stress is bollocks I have seen people out running, cycling, walking, doing their gardens, improving their houses spending time with their kids.

• Like 2
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://thankateacher.co.uk/thank-a-teacher-day/  Due to the current situation I dont bump into too many teachers on my travels. Therefore I would just like to ask the golfer or south fork to tha

I was actually going to include you but the name was too long to type. I've never met a man  who bumps into more teachers brothers third cousins in my life.

Can't people just lay off teachers for a while.  It used to be a highly respected profession until people swallowed Tory Government propaganda which then seeped in over here as well. How many par

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Pongo I agree with you entirely.   Things will pick up again albeit slowly they always do and a lot of people will be happier and healthier for having this break and having time to evaluate what really counts.   All this mental stress is bollocks I have seen people out running, cycling, walking, doing their gardens, improving their houses spending time with their kids.

They clearly have not been working from home. There is a clear distinction between people who are working from home, and those who are being paid to twat about cycling and doing the garden. 

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

Trust me the mental stress is very real if you have a relative whose health is declining and you cannot visit.

Home schooling will have mentally tested parents and children which the teachers will be expected to fix.

And of course people outside taking exercise will feel better as exercise releases endorphins. 

The reality is that many people are suffering due to uncertainty,  and a lack of access to there social groups. 

• Thanks 1

Note: I am a secondary school teacher here on the island. 

Teachers here generally are not providing online ‘live’ lessons as it would be deemed unfair on those students in homes which don’t have access to the internet, computer equipment or are able to be ‘online’ at that time for family or personal reasons etc.

Most teachers are providing online content which can be accessed anytime such as worksheets/powerpoints/prerecorded videos or annotated lessons. 

Of course KWC are catering for a different type of audience. They can expect everyone to have the equipment and internet needed. 

Most teachers want to go back, as long as it’s safe to do so. Defining what is ‘safe’ right now is extremely difficult. We all hate the thought of our students struggling at home with their learning or disengaging completely.

Some teachers are vulnerable or have vulnerable family members which puts them in a difficult situation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, jpr19 said:

Some teachers are vulnerable or have vulnerable family members which puts them in a difficult situation.

No different to anyone else who is back at work then. 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Southfork said:

We’ll be down to clap for a bin man day soon.... 

Thank you bin men - for having a bath before you turned up at the pub.

image.jpeg.630bfa27d5fd99a7d1f1e8d0c7059f99.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
32 minutes ago, jpr19 said:

Teachers here generally are not providing online ‘live’ lessons as it would be deemed unfair on those students in homes which don’t have access to the internet, computer equipment or are able to be ‘online’ at that time for family or personal reasons etc.

That’s a poor excuse as well. Let’s do nothing as it might be unfair to 20 pupils. The universities are doing it but again it’s about fees. They are doing it online professionally otherwise students would be demanding the repayment of hefty tuition fees already spent. But here we just get away with doing nothing as doing something would potentially be unfair

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, jpr19 said:

Most teachers are providing online content which can be accessed anytime such as worksheets/powerpoints/prerecorded videos or annotated lessons. 

Of course KWC are catering for a different type of audience. They can expect everyone to have the equipment and internet needed. 

Most teachers want to go back, as long as it’s safe to do so. Defining what is ‘safe’ right now is extremely difficult. We all hate the thought of our students struggling at home with their learning or disengaging completely.

So disadvantage everyone because it is unfair to the the less well off. I will hazard a guess that upto 25% of children fall into the disdvantaged therefore no equipment or broadband category. Unless you have numbers to the contrary that means that you are bringing the remaining 75% down to the lowest denominator. Absolutely disgraceful. How about trying to help the 25% with connectivity, or alternatives. As an aside, from observation I can state that many people who are classed as disadvantaged are more teched up than me, with multiple iPhone, iPads and laptops. Also they benefit from fibre unlike us ‘wealthy’ rural types, for example Willaston.

As regards safety, I personally have no issue if you want to teach in an NBC suit, just please sort this out, and quickly.

Edited by Out of the blue
  • Like 1
25 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

So disadvantage everyone because it is unfair to the the less well off. I will hazard a guess that upto 25% of children fall into the disdvantaged therefore no equipment or broadband category. Unless you have numbers to the contrary that means that you are bringing the remaining 75% down to the lowest denominator. Absolutely disgraceful. How about trying to help the 25% with connectivity, or alternatives. As an aside, from observation I can state that many people who are classed as disadvantaged are more teched up than me, with multiple iPhone, iPads and laptops. Also they benefit from fibre unlike us ‘wealthy’ rural types, for example Willaston.

As regards safety, I personally have no issue if you want to teach in an NBC suit, just please sort this out, and quickly.

What a stupid reply to a very honest and genuine post from the teacher. All our children should be taught on the same level playing field.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Scotty said:

What a stupid reply to a very honest and genuine post from the teacher. All our children should be taught on the same level playing field.

What about those who have no shoes and who can’t walk to school? 

18 hours ago, Golfer said:

Some may volunteer to work lunch etc, my near neighbour takes the hour plus every day as comes home, she's home at 3.20 nearly every day.

of course they also get something like 16 weeks holidays plus bank holidays each year.

Are you sure she's an actual teacher and not a teaching assistant (you know, the one that wipes 7 year old kids arses because their parents haven't bothered to teach them?)?

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I agree (not with the stupid reply bit :D), but not to the lowest common denominator. Bring up expectations, not settle for the lowest. Enable the disadvantaged, do not penalize everone else. I am sorry you think that this is stupid, but I just want the best for my children.

Edited by Out of the blue
  • Like 1
15 hours ago, Golfer said:

Don't think anyone was implying theta they were failures were they but it's clear a large number have not covered themselves in glory during this pandemic by ensuring online lessons set, contacting children to establish if they needed help, volunteering for other duties when not teaching etc. Some have gone beyond what was required but sadly a number have not bothered.

I think you need to check out who are actual teachers and teaching assistants. There's a world of difference.

1 hour ago, jpr19 said:

"Safe" seems to be the get out word these days.

The truth is over the course of the rest of your life you will make decisions about all sorts of things.  Driving to work, crossing the road, going on flights, going to countries less civilised than the Isle of Man, having operations perhaps.

Risks exist every day.   Teachers are no more or less 'safe' at school right now than they have ever been.

The reality is people need to get on with life.  The education system shouldn't be halted because a few teachers are overly paranoid about how safe they are.   They will need to leave and never leave the house again by that logic.

You would actually expect teachers to be more resilient to illness really given the environment they work in.

• Like 1