National thank a teacher day

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

I doubt there are anywhere near 25% homes that have no internet in today’s world internet along with mobile phones and smart televisions are considered an essential.

Agreed, I used that figure as an extreme example that would still illustrate that threequarters of children are being disadvantaged, due to a quarter of pupils. It is probably more like 90% but I do not have any figures one way or another. My point still stands though. Help the disdvantaged and bring them up. I find the attitude of accepting the lowest educational standard horrifying.

Edited by Out of the blue
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://thankateacher.co.uk/thank-a-teacher-day/  Due to the current situation I dont bump into too many teachers on my travels. Therefore I would just like to ask the golfer or south fork to tha

I was actually going to include you but the name was too long to type. I've never met a man  who bumps into more teachers brothers third cousins in my life.

Can't people just lay off teachers for a while.  It used to be a highly respected profession until people swallowed Tory Government propaganda which then seeped in over here as well. How many par

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

I doubt there are anywhere near 25% homes that have no internet in today’s world internet along with mobile phones and smart televisions are considered an essential.

It’s an excuse. I don't know one single family that doesn’t have broadband and a set of devices that connect to the internet. A lot of what has been said above can be translated as “couldn’t be arsed, would rather have time off” which if you’re on full pay and nobody is forcing you to work why would you. But strangely where your teaching work relies on the school receiving private tuition fees in order to pay your salary (KWC and the universities etc) it’s funny to see how quickly it all shifted to MS Teams and virtual classrooms and marking portals otherwise they’d be demanding their fees back and the teachers wouldn’t get paid. All the excuses about social inclusion are just that excuses. There has been a good excuse to do nothing due to Covid and people have taken it. Just like a lot of government departments. 

Why are people translating "putting lesson content online" (which still requires the creation of lesson content) into "doing nothing"? Did nobody teach you all how to read? :)

• Like 1
Just now, HeliX said:

Why are people translating "putting lesson content online" (which still requires the creation of lesson content) into "doing nothing"? Did nobody teach you all how to read? :)

I have no issue with content being put on line by teachers at present. As I have said before if this is going to drag on then there needs to be much more teacher interaction, such as explaining and presenting the work, assisting in real time, and also marking and giving feedback. These are the things that are missing at the moment. Fine at first, no good for the future.

43 minutes ago, HeliX said:

I have a funny feeling that the only people likely to answer your post will be those that can read - don't know why, just a hunch.

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

Are you sure she's an actual teacher and not a teaching assistant (you know, the one that wipes 7 year old kids arses because their parents haven't bothered to teach them?)?

Yes sure, but she's actually had t go into work the last 2 days and she doesn't look happy having to leave house at 8.30 !!

3 minutes ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

I have a funny feeling that the only people likely to answer your post will be those that can read - don't know why, just a hunch.

Text to speech exists you ableist :)

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Southfork said:

That’s a poor excuse as well. Let’s do nothing as it might be unfair to 20 pupils. The universities are doing it but again it’s about fees. They are doing it online professionally otherwise students would be demanding the repayment of hefty tuition fees already spent. But here we just get away with doing nothing as doing something would potentially be unfair

The universities can do it because it is assumed (indeed a requirement) that all students will have individual access to the internet whenever they need to.   So they can move things like lectures and seminars online knowing that all those who are part of it will be able to take part in real time.

Now the numbers of homes without any internet access is fairly small.  I don't know figures for the Island, but the latest UK figures I saw said that 96% of households had some form of getting on the internet and many of the 4% will be pensioner households.   Admittedly for many this will only consist of a smartphone, which  will be pretty limiting in various ways.

But exclusive access to devices is another matter.  There may only be one suitable device such as a laptop, but more than one child.  And parents may be needing day-long access if they are working from home as well - even if the children could be left to learn unsupervised.  And there's also the problem of lack of suitable space to work in as well - especially if there are multiple children of differing ages.  These things are possibly going to affect most households, not just a handful.

2 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

And there's also the problem of lack of suitable space to work in as well - especially if there are multiple children of differing ages.  These things are possibly going to affect most households, not just a handful.

Those issue affect most people now working from home but their employers have just told them to get on with it as that’s what you’re paid to do. Find a workable solution. 

2 hours ago, Golfer said:

Yes sure, but she's actually had t go into work the last 2 days and she doesn't look happy having to leave house at 8.30 !!

But you're not stalking her at all.  Oh no!  :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, Out of the blue said:

I agree (not with the stupid reply bit :D), but not to the lowest common denominator. Bring up expectations, not settle for the lowest. Enable the disadvantaged, do not penalize everone else. I am sorry you think that this is stupid, but I just want the best for my children.

Everybody wants what is best for their children but unfortunately the lowest common denominator scenario, whilst not exactly accurate, is what's best for all children. Back when I was at school they taught to the highest common denomimator. Alright for most of us but resulted in disinterested children because they were too scared to ask for fear of being thought stupid

4 hours ago, Golfer said:

you are weirdo...

• Like 1
On 5/20/2020 at 1:20 PM, the stinking enigma said:

https://thankateacher.co.uk/thank-a-teacher-day/

Due to the current situation I dont bump into too many teachers on my travels. Therefore I would just like to ask the golfer or south fork to thank one of the many they will no doubt bump into today, whether at the beach or on the golf course or maybe just out on a yacht. Thanks very much

Another totally poisonous thread to start at this time, or indeed anytime.  Totally pointless. 

• Confused 1