Former chamber leader bins off 34 workers

11 hours ago, Southfork said:

I sincerely hope it doesn’t go back to the 80s here as they were thoroughly depressing and hopeless times until they managed to kick the finance sector off. 

This is the big elephant in the room. Even before this, we needed a ‘new finance sector’ to reboot the island. DFE was running around frantically trying to find one. Esports seems to be the thing this week. They are advertising for a director of Esports on a LTA. That sounds a lot like a punt. Again.

9 hours ago, Southfork said:

There won’t be. Neither will there be money to pay for the NHS or for all the hoards of local authority and government workers. We’ll be back to the 3 day week and rotting rubbish in the streets as there will be no money to pay anyone with. All this furlough money is misleading. It has an end date. When that end date happens it won’t be pretty. 

It looks like Ramsey Commissioners might already have given up. It seems they are incapable of taking a mower out and trimming the verges up near my house. The place ends up looking run down.

8 hours ago, Gladys said:

I wish and hope it will be, but when the state is paying out more than is being paid in, we have a problem.  What do you pump in, if you have very little to prime the pump?

I really hope I am wrong, but I have a terrible feeling that the lockdown is going to turn out to be an economic  disaster.  When the economy is a real disaster, then the human cost will be immense and there will be nothing there to alleviate it. 

This is where we were before all this in real terms. It just got a lot worse.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jesus, how utterly miserable can someone be? How can you see things so badly? Loads of people are back at work, things are moving forwards, everything is going alright unless you own a hotel I guess.

It is a sorry story, because the aviation/aerospace sector is strategic for the island. But as much as I disagree with the whole lockdown policy etc; those companies are mainly affected by events that

This is why we really do have to look very seriously  at opening business up again. It would be truly awful if the most pernicious effect was the intended cure.  The virus is still going to be there,

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Come on man, who is posting the doom and gloom here? Oh,that's right, it's you.

The whole rampant Covid paranoia on here has been embarrassing. Its like reading the Royston Vasey Forums for local people who dont want any outside contact. But it’s ok to read though 600 pages of that but not people making perfectly valid comments about the economic impact and why all this nonsense has to end? 

Edited by Southfork
  • Like 1

I don't know if I should even bother, your appalling tone is ridiculous.

Look, of course it is right to be concerned about the future, jobs and that, but to call it nonsense is again greatly underestimating the situation. Because of how well the lockdown worked in suppressing the virus people like yourself are now grossly underestimating it. It isnt hard to see what happens when places get things wrong, our reponse has been broadly correct. We here are in a much better position to move forward than many other places, but that's not going to happen if people are in a state of negative panic about the economy. Every country in the world has been affected, its how we go about things next that matters. Your relentless negativity is not going to help, things are OK, and by getting on with things they'll only get better. Restrictions are being lifted week by week, its the right thing to do, just take it in your stride and smile.

We're going to be OK.

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I don't know if I should even bother, your appalling tone is ridiculous.

What appalling tone? You don’t have to bother there is an ignore facility I believe if you don’t want to read posts you disagree with. It seems to be easier doing that than constantly arguing that you don’t like a certain perspective on all of this. 

It is a sorry story, because the aviation/aerospace sector is strategic for the island. But as much as I disagree with the whole lockdown policy etc; those companies are mainly affected by events that happen outside the island and thus there is not much that local policymakers can do about it. Those redundancies would have happened even if this isle had not done any lockdown.

• Like 4

The recovery will require the effort and input of everybody to make it a success.

Govt's test and its own measure will be to make sure that the burden is equally and fairly spread and equally evenly carried.

• Like 1