Jump to content

Compassionate travel permission


Recommended Posts

Now we will all have different views about the wisdom of granting special permission for compassionate reasons, indeed there is a petition that has been set up and the Bishop has said how delighted he is that this is going to happen.   Lots of people have suffered heartbreak because they could not see their loved one for a last time or attend their funeral I have a friend who was unable to say goodbye to her daughter or attend her funeral.   The man who has kicked off this debate and decision was interviewed on Manx Radio and said he had already had a word with his own MP, he lives in England , and asked him if he could use his influence and have a word, he did mention the MP by name, on our government.   As the UK are making such a brilliant job of dealing with Covid 19 I think asking a member of their government to put pressure on our government to amend our border restrictions is an absolute disgrace.   I have every sympathy for this family and others in a similar position but there will now be a deluge of applications and the government will have to decide who gets special dispensation and who doesn’t.   This will end in tears.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I somehow suspect that the IOM is not the only jurisdiction with similar restrictions.

It is very tough, but this is a very difficult situation.

I have an elderly relative across, 89, who wants me to visit, but I can't. I have also had to miss a couple of funerals. It is very sad, but I am not whinging about it. 

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

I somehow suspect that the IOM is not the only jurisdiction with similar restrictions.

I think IOM might be. I can't think of another country with similar rules. Even the countries that closed their borders early (eg, Australia and New Zealand) still allow their citizens and permanent residents to return.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Josem said:

I think IOM might be. I can't think of another country with similar rules. Even the countries that closed their borders early (eg, Australia and New Zealand) still allow their citizens and permanent residents to return.

But they insisted on quarantine for them as well (Wiki has a useful, if now somewhat dated page).  I doubt anyone managed quite the Manx Government's mixture of panic, indecision, pointless gestures and doing special favours for mates, but the UK's failure to close its borders was very much the international exception.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

I doubt anyone managed quite the Manx Government's mixture of panic, indecision, pointless gestures and doing special favours for mates, but the UK's failure to close its borders was very much the international exception.

But then those other countries politicians haven’t had to pander to the same sort of hysterical pitchfork waving “shut down everything” loonies as the average IOM resident was at the start of this all. 

  • Like 4
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Southfork said:

Yes let’s just shut the world down as a lot of folk are petrified. 

wish somebody would shut you down...

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

wish somebody would shut you down...

There really seem to be some strange people on here who seem to only want to read posts that they agree with. Use the ignore button If reading things you don’t like sends you into such a tailspin. 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I could not disagree with you more Roger the Isle of Man Government has done a sterling job of controlling this infection and keeping people safe and I have not sensed any indecision at all. Do you live here ?   because you seem out of contact with the way things have been handled.   Southwork just seems out of contact with the real world completely perhaps forgotten to take his pills today.

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Southfork said:

But then those other countries politicians haven’t had to pander to the same sort of hysterical pitchfork waving “shut down everything” loonies as the average IOM resident was at the start of this all. 

New Zealand reacted fast and hard, and with a population of just under 5 million, they've only had 21 deaths. No-one is saying that they were "shut down everything loonies".

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

New Zealand reacted fast and hard, and with a population of just under 5 million, they've only had 21 deaths. No-one is saying that they were "shut down everything loonies".

cut him some slack, he's missing his schoolmates

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, hissingsid said:

In Australia my friend informs me they cannot even travel from one state to another.

That's true in some circumstances - they have various internal restrictions in certain states to prevent travel between different parts of the country. However, all citizens who are outside the country are allowed to return home.

6 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

But they insisted on quarantine for them as well (Wiki has a useful, if now somewhat dated page).  I doubt anyone managed quite the Manx Government's mixture of panic, indecision, pointless gestures and doing special favours for mates, but the UK's failure to close its borders was very much the international exception.

Yes, I agree that the UK has not prohibited visitors. But I can not find any country that has prevented its citizens or permanent residents from returning in the way that the Isle of Man did.

The key issue here is what "closed borders" mean. In the IOM context, it meant banning anyone from travelling at all. I think that in every other country, "closed borders" means banning tourists and visitors, it does not mean banning citizens and permanent residents from going home.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...