Jump to content

Another travel firm gone


John Wright
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 5/22/2020 at 9:28 PM, Max Power said:

They pick up the passengers from their hometown. They also get a special rate on the SPCo, I believe the coach is free to the operator and they only charge for a full load of passengers?

But they would be charged for the two empty journeys wouldn’t they ? Unless it was busy enough to keep doing the round trips, then just the first trip out and last one back would be empty.

Edited by Scotty
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Scotty said:

But they would be charged for the two empty journeys wouldn’t they ? Unless it was busy enough to keep doing the round trips, then just the first trip out and last one back would be empty.

I'm sure that a deal could be done to cover those two trips?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

I was stuck behind a racer for about 4 miles last week. About 7mph uphill with no visibility or cars in the wrong place, then 35 mph downhill with open road but not enough space to safely get past, then 7 mph up the next hill. I know beating the clock is the most important thing to some, but I cant help feel it may have been a bit more courteous of him to slow down a bit on the downhill part like most in slow moving vehicles holding traffic up do.

I'm not complaining, I don't care. But I was in a line of traffic the other day behind someone who was obviously training - slipstreaming someone else doing 20 - 25mph on a motor scooter. The scooter and the bike were definitely together.

I've seen that before but never in Britain.

Edited by pongo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My widowed mother used to go on coach trips in her 70s and 80s, usually with the same company each year - usually there were sufficient people from a small number of pickup places to fill the coach as typically there was usually a small group eg in her case from her dance group, who would book to be together, I guess that way they could guarantee dance partners - the coach + driver would stay with the party throughout - on the Island they were supposed to employ blue badge guides for the trips around the Island but not always the case I hear.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, pongo said:

I'm not complaining, I don't care. But I was in a line of traffic the other day behind someone who was obviously training - slipstreaming someone else doing 20 - 25mph on a motor scooter. The scooter and the bike were definitely together.

I've seen that before but never in Britain.

We joined traffic at Ballacraine lights this after noon in a queue that joined the Peel to Douglas traffic. A bus went though followed about 6 feet behind By a cyclist giving it his all. My car was set at 40 mph and so must the other ones have been, including the bus. I was about 5 cars bCk bu could clearly see the cyclist keeping up with the bus at 40 mph all the way to Crosby until it stopped to pick up.

The cyclist then passed the bus but must have been knackered as we all caught up with him and travelled at 12 mph until the Glenlough dip.
Never witnessed such dangerous riding in my life. That video from the bus would have made good viewing for the Police. Bus No 104, about 1600 today.

Edited by Scotty
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I escorted a couple of elderly relatives on one of these trips a couple of years back. They are really cheap holidays and the margins must be minuscule, reliant on filling the coaches and associated hotels. Nonetheless all the oldies enjoyed the trip, hotel and entertainment immensely.

They will be back in one form or another I'm sure, maybe two years from now, once confidence returns for oldies to venture out. Could be a good solid little business to invest in (or even get into) in a couple of years, with lots of cheap coaches and hotel deals up for grabs? 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

They are really cheap holidays and the margins must be minuscule, reliant on filling the coaches and associated hotels.

Could be a good solid little business to invest in (or even get into) in a couple of years,

 

I am not sure that a business where margins are miniscule and reliant on filling coaches etc would meet my definition of a good solid little business to invest in

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One thing is for sure, governments won't deliberately kill the economy again. They can't afford it and when eventually the investigations are done I am fairly sure it will be found to have been mostly a waste of time in that few deaths will be avoided,  at best just delayed. In future NHS will be more prepared. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, NoTail said:

One thing is for sure, governments won't deliberately kill the economy again. They can't afford it and when eventually the investigations are done I am fairly sure it will be found to have been mostly a waste of time in that few deaths will be avoided,  at best just delayed. In future NHS will be more prepared. 

100% agree. We have committed ritual hari kari for no clear reason other than to try to save an underfunded NHS which clearly didn’t have a clear pandemic action plan. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Scotty said:

We joined traffic at Ballacraine lights this after noon in a queue that joined the Peel to Douglas traffic. A bus went though followed about 6 feet behind By a cyclist giving it his all. My car was set at 40 mph and so must the other ones have been, including the bus. I was about 5 cars bCk bu could clearly see the cyclist keeping up with the bus at 40 mph all the way to Crosby until it stopped to pick up.

The cyclist then passed the bus but must have been knackered as we all caught up with him and travelled at 12 mph until the Glenlough dip.
Never witnessed such dangerous riding in my life. That video from the bus would have made good viewing for the Police. Bus No 104, about 1600 today.

What is it with the lyrca brigade that attracts them to that kind of road/ riding experience? OK Douglas to Peel isnt the M25,but to sit behind a diesel bus through roads lined with mature trees isnt healthy,there are countless better roads for this.The dumbest thing ive seen is near my sons,across, a 15 mile dual road was built,with a  dedicated cycle lane along side,and cyclists have been on the dual road instead of the proper cycle track.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Having the old railway track closed in parts means people have no option but to cycle on the road. It’s not something I’d do by choice. We’ve been off on new adventures since lockdown caused the railway track to be ‘mobbed’. I understand people hating trails bikers, the ridges they cause are a nuisance to walkers but make some places unridable on bikes. There’s a nice run from Beary but the forest trail has been totally ruined by motorbikes, upon reflection it might have been a motor bike route... all about mountain biking :)

I do wear Lycra but I wear big shorts and big jumpers too, there are somethings no one ever need see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Ďouglas Peel said:

What is it with the lyrca brigade that attracts them to that kind of road/ riding experience? OK Douglas to Peel isnt the M25,but to sit behind a diesel bus through roads lined with mature trees isnt healthy,there are countless better roads for this.The dumbest thing ive seen is near my sons,across, a 15 mile dual road was built,with a  dedicated cycle lane along side,and cyclists have been on the dual road instead of the proper cycle track.

 

1. Not all cyclists are out for a jolly or a training ride; many cycle journeys are commutes and like all commutes regardless of mode of transport people will travel the shortest/quickest way.

2. Lycra has evolved over many years as the best clothing to wear whilst cycling; not only reducing drag and therefore shortening commutes but providing an element of protection from road rash during a fall; if you don't like the way I look in lycra then don't look at me.

3. Cycle lanes can be problematic; many are 'designed' by people who haven't ridden a bike in years and have no idea of the requirements; the type that are just a painted green strip (Peel Road) also fill up with all the crap thrown out from under the wheels of passing cars and become a crash/puncture hazard; they really need to be separated from the road by a curbstone and with space for overtaking. 

I know it can be frustrating getting stuck where you can't pass but instead of blaming the cyclist maybe direct your ire at the DOI's lack of investment in road design and ultimately; you'll never be held up for more than a few minutes and whilst you're held up you're sat in your nice warm box that you don't have to pedal up Richmond Hill.

To try and drag back to topic; a well thought out integration of road and cycling may well help with future IOM tourism.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...