Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Southfork

76% of public sector not affected or better off post Covid

In contrast a total of 38 per cent of UK workers who work in the private sector (where tens of thousands have lost their jobs or had wages cut) are worse off according to a poll commissioned by the Daily Mail and just 29 per cent think they are better off.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8349223/Coronaphobia-grips-nation-Britons-fear-lockdown-eased-rapidly.html

I suppose it sort of explains why we’re having to drag the teachers and others back to work. It looks like so many people who work in the public sector are fully incentivized to keep this going for as long as possible while everyone else is getting poorer. 

Edited by Southfork
  • Like 1

It's an incredibly narrow and naive viewpoint on the impact of this virus on people. The impact on the economy will affect just about everyone, but I suppose civil servant bashing is cheap and easy journalism.

• Like 5

I agree.  You see it on here too.  Everything is a civil servants fault.   Tiresome.

Logically, anyone in fully paid employment is likely to have a bit more disposable income over the last month or two largely because there is no social spending going on.  I certainly have gone through less cash in the last two months.  I'm spending it on the house though.

But I certainly don't feel "better off".

Edited by The Dog's Dangly Bits
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Southfork said:

In contrast a total of 38 per cent of UK workers who work in the private sector (where tens of thousands have lost their jobs or had wages cut) are worse off according to a poll commissioned by the Daily Mail and just 29 per cent think they are better off.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8349223/Coronaphobia-grips-nation-Britons-fear-lockdown-eased-rapidly.html

I suppose it sort of explains why we’re having to drag the teachers and others back to work. It looks like so many people who work in the public sector are fully incentivized to keep this going for as long as possible while everyone else is getting poorer. 

Probably a higher% over here of public sector better off.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Golfer said:

Probably a higher% over here of public sector better off.

It’s a high percentage though considering the sample group for the private sector will be much larger as the public sector accounts for only 5.5M people in the UK so it’s 38% of much more people who are now worse off. 

Nearly everyone in my neighbourhood has been spending money on improving their houses, gardens etc.   judging by the hysteria when B and Q and the garden Centers opened this is Island wide.   People are now using local shops which is good.   No matter whether private or public sector, pensioner or whatever the money people have got is supporting the local economy.   Slagging of certain sections of the population is not on most people had choices when it came to which path to travel on, there will never be equality and bitterness is self destructive. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

People are now using local shops which is good.   No matter whether private or public sector, pensioner or whatever the money people have got is supporting the local economy.   Slagging of certain sections of the population is not on most people had choices when it came to which path to travel on, there will never be equality and bitterness is self destructive. 

Well said that man. More of this kind of thing!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Nearly everyone in my neighbourhood has been spending money on improving their houses, gardens etc.   judging by the hysteria when B and Q and the garden Centers opened this is Island wide.   People are now using local shops which is good.   No matter whether private or public sector, pensioner or whatever the money people have got is supporting the local economy.   Slagging of certain sections of the population is not on most people had choices when it came to which path to travel on, there will never be equality and bitterness is self destructive. 

I’m not sure the 1500 or so (by the next announcement probably 2,500) on the dole are spending much. 

Edited by Southfork

Historically, most of us made choices in our youth about whether we worked in the private or public sector. Using a sweeping generalisaton, the private sector gave a person flexibility to move between companies and increase your earnings. In good times the private sector paid well and in some cases provided excellent bonuses. Indeed, the only perceived limit on earnings and position was a person’s capability and ambition.

The public sector attracted vocational types, for example Nurses, Police, Teachers, but there were also  a section of the public sector refered to as Civil Servants who generally valued stability, routine, and a solid pension in the distant future. Their pay was then classed as okay and they got occasional promotions and increments, but they were never going to ‘make it’. You could argue they were Steady Eddies with limited ambition.

We all made our choices and we need to accept that some of us chose better than others, and that changing times have made the public sector potentially a better choice with hindsight than it once was, but it seems unfair to castigate and vilify the Civil Service staff who made that choice. Those who are nearing retirement unwittingly made a good choice from a pension point of view, but personally I can’t think of anything worse than to endure 40plus years in that environment.

If anyone should be criticised it should be the government and the CEO’s who created the multi layered bureaucratic monster that is the current Civil Service. They are the ones who sanctioned the current salary scales, pension rules and organisational hierarchy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

We all made our choices and we need to accept that some of us chose better than others, and that changing times have made the public sector potentially a better choice with hindsight than it once was, but it seems unfair to castigate and vilify the Civil Service staff who made that choice. Those who are nearing retirement unwittingly made a good choice from a pension point of view, but personally I can’t think of anything worse than to endure 40plus years in that environment.

Who is vilifying anyone? It’s a survey the conclusions of which we all already knew but it puts some significant numbers round it. You also have to expect a bit of pushback when government effectively removed the right to work from millions of people overnight on alleged national security and yet did nothing but continue to 100% pay its own staff with taxpayers money. It’s inequitable and wrong that some sections of society get singled out to be thrown under a bus and yet others don’t. 

• Like 1

It was not so much a direct response to any comment in this thread, more of a personal observation regarding an underlying resentment and perhaps jealously of actual civil servants that runs through some MF threads :flowers:

• Like 1

Folks here are not jealous of the civil service - they just see it as a massive bureaucratic obstacle to progress, economic or otherwise 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1