Fancy a pint?

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't know how many houses or who bought it. I don't think any plans have been advanced, but it is zoned in the southern plan or somewhere similar.It's not that big a site, but neither was the old C

I wouldn't be surprised if they restrict opening hours at first. 8 pints tends to discourage a lot of social distancing - in pubs the distance people keep tends to be inversely proportional to th

"How innovation can be encouraged within the trade". Outlawing restrictive covenants preventing enterprising businesses from running H&B's cast-off pubs as pubs would be a good start?

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

If you mean the Railway Union Mills then decent fella Ray Corkill has recently passed away, sad to say

Sorry to hear about Ray, the last time i remember the Barrels being on tressles at the Railway Union Mills was  1989,and the publican was very old then,i dont think it was Ray at that time ,joking apart, its been 4 or 5 years since ive been in there.I hope no more pubs shut,even the Brewery ones,i like the Cat and the Highwayman as they are a different experience from old fashioned boozers which are great too.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Ďouglas Peel said:

Sorry to hear about Ray, the last time i remember the Barrels being on tressles at the Railway Union Mills was  1989,and the publican was very old then,i dont think it was Ray at that time ,joking apart, its been 4 or 5 years since ive been in there.I hope no more pubs shut,even the Brewery ones,i like the Cat and the Highwayman as they are a different experience from old fashioned boozers which are great too.

Well before Ray's time. He would have been a civil servant around then doing the wages up at Ballamona.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, South cape said:

I remember it being run by a mr and mrs  McCauley  ,that would be around 1986 

Cant remember,but think the beer barrels on stools or tressels,was a novelty in 89,perhaps other pubs were doing it then too? I vaguely remember the old publicans daughter helping out.The Wine in giant casks in Yates's wine lodge,which became Bushys i think,was still around in the late 70s,it was 2 choices,dry or sweet,im no expert as ive yet to find a wine i dont like yet.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gettafa said:

Well before Ray's time. He would have been a civil servant around then doing the wages up at Ballamona.

He’d left the Civil Service before 1989. Ballamona was well before that. He was clerk to the Planning Committee in the years before he left planning to set up a planning consultancy. He then worked for me at Simcocks for some years.

The Railway was owned by the mother of Celia Morgan. Doors more often shut than not. She could be choosy who she served.

Other pubs with barrels on shelves, stools, trestles were the Vic in Castletown and The Baltic.

• Thanks 2

I remember the Vic in Castletown serving there beer from old wooden barrels pure nectar, if only we could get that taste back I was going to say I’d pay a premium for that but the brewery already charge a premium already for much poorer quality in their own houses.

Edited by GreyWolf
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, John Wright said:

He’d left the Civil Service before 1989. Ballamona was well before that. He was clerk to the Planning Committee in the years before he left planning to set up a planning consultancy. He then worked for me at Simcocks for some years.

The Railway was owned by the mother of Celia Morgan. Doors more often shut than not. She could be choosy who she served.

Other pubs with barrels on shelves, stools, trestles were the Vic in Castletown and The Baltic.

Didn't you have to know the secret knock to gain admission to the Railway back then or was that an old Manx rumour?