Fancy a pint?

PaulJ

3 hours ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Not been there for a while but was it still a place where you need to wipe your feet on the way out?

Was last there in Feb 2020. Daytime. Dire service. No food. Sticky floor. Smelliest pub loo I’d been in for a long time. Beer was “off” as in pipes not flushed.

Meanwhile pubs in Peel go from strength to strength. Now if the brewery would just sell the Highwayman and let someone who understands about running a pub take charge there might actually be an opportunity there. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Driver2020 said:

I heard the lease was due for renewal and the owner of the building wanted to put the rent up about 25%.

There certainly has to be more to it than Covid IMHO, the place was busy, if not rammed, virtually every night during the Euro Champs, normally it's also one of the busiest weekend venues in town if not the busiest. All that should have made inroads into any Covid hit.

6 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

There certainly has to be more to it than Covid IMHO, the place was busy, if not rammed, virtually every night during the Euro Champs, normally it's also one of the busiest weekend venues in town if not the busiest. All that should have made inroads into any Covid hit.

Fallout between owners allegedly, sounds like another Raymotors.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, TomTucker said:

Crogga mill farm shop seems to do ok and doesn’t have the attraction of the Glen. Similar market, similar location.

Alternative businesses are set up and attract the customers. I don't think the Glen is that much of an attraction to customers. 

Just look at the old pub at Groudle...

The Brittania has been closed for nearly ten years and absolutely nothing done with it. In a commercial area and probably infested with vermin. Ditto the Castle Mona, Liverpool Arms etc. It seems that Government and local authorities have neither the power or the will to enforce anything.

Does anyone know the outcome of the inquest into the blaze at the Ballacallin or did I miss that one ? 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

The Brittania has been closed for nearly ten years and absolutely nothing done with it. In a commercial area and probably infested with vermin. Ditto the Castle Mona, Liverpool Arms etc. It seems that Government and local authorities have neither the power or the will to enforce anything.

Does anyone know the outcome of the inquest into the blaze at the Ballacallin or did I miss that one ? 

I think lessons have been learned SMJ

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Ramsey who?

Good luck with that. Does "empty pubs" refer to the ones that are closed or the ones that are still open? 😂

Screenshot_20211019-191452_Chrome.jpg

ramsey not happy at the loss of business rates at a guess??  assuming you don't pay rates when you're not trading.