Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Nomadic Raptor

Manx schools

2 hours ago, Nomadic Raptor said:

What constitutes needing a break?  I have been working hard from home every day since lockdown and I haven’t started bleating about needing a two break at tt.  I actually have not had a single day off this year.  They need to gain some perspective.

I totally agree I’m the same worked right through every day. The teachers just need to be told. Either back to work or furlough until September at £280 a week. Lots would change their tune on the “risks” then. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Newbie said:

I totally agree I’m the same worked right through every day. The teachers just need to be told. Either back to work or furlough until September at £280 a week. Lots would change their tune on the “risks” then. 

The issue here is the government primarily.   Not the teachers.  Most of them would rather normality.

The problem is whilst Government provide rules that force social distancing the Union will jump on that for a very small minority.

I work for what would be considered a decent size employer.  They are in the same boat.  Having to appeal to the lowest common denominator because of what the government say.

When social distancing changes to 1m there will be no excuse not too open.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

The issue here is the government primarily.   Not the teachers.  Most of them would rather normality.

I’m not sure they would. I’d wager many would probably prefer another few months off on full pay. 

8 hours ago, Nomadic Raptor said:

His is wales now ahead of us with regards to schools opening 

Interesting that Wales return is to be mandatory for all, but with only one third in school at any one time. Part time schooling it would appear. I listened to some of Allison’s q&a today. He didn’t state it clearly but the strong inference is that our phased restart timetable will be accelerated if the cases remain low. I now fully expect the schools to reopen for all fairly soon after the TT break. This will only be possible however if the SD rules have been cut to 1 metre. I expect good hygiene will be the go to option if this is the case. 

I wonder if they would be brave enough to enforce a mandatory return though. A concern that I have is how the differing home learning experiences will be managed by the teachers when thing finally get back to normal. Those children who have studied diligently will likely be rewarded with having to go back over old ground to allow the home schooling via playstation children to catch up. 

I hope it is accelerated just for all the kids that have missed out.  

catching up will be tough but with time they will catch up 

I can't even begin to imagine how much some of you would foam at the mouth with apoplectic rage if the school's did open over the summer and the teachers were then paid for it. 

Their salaries are pro-rata based on a 39 week school year and split equally over each month. If they work through the holidays, they would be paid for them. 

• Like 1

I have no problem with it as long as they tell people who might be currently trying to sort child care out now assuming summer holidays are happening.  I suspect they don’t really know which isn’t a good way to be.  Someone just needs to stand up and make a decision

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Feelslike said:

I can't even begin to imagine how much some of you would foam at the mouth with apoplectic rage if the school's did open over the summer and the teachers were then paid for it. 

Their salaries are pro-rata based on a 39 week school year and split equally over each month. If they work through the holidays, they would be paid for them. 

Bollocks, they are recruited at an annual salary, most have not earned that salary for past 3 months so any summer work or extra such they do should be unpaid to set off the extra holidays they've had.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Golfer said:

Bollocks, they are recruited at an annual salary, most have not earned that salary for past 3 months so any summer work or extra such they do should be unpaid to set off the extra holidays they've had.

Even if they were paid more for summer camps, that would be fine, however I am concerned that some children who have been lucky to have the facilities, lucky to have parents who are able to dedicate time to home schooling, and also who have the self discipline to have studied for several hours every day will be so far ahead of the less fortunate children that an obvious educational divide will be apparent. My concern is that the teachers will start again concentrating on the lowest common denominator, making a mockery of all the hard work and effort I can hand on heart say that my children have put in. I do not have an easy solution to this issue, but it will be further compounded by the voluntary nature of any return to school.

Gangs of kids out and about round town today, not social distancing. Only to go back to schools imposing social distancing, to then walk home in groups not social distancing. The whole thing is a getting to be farcical. 

• Like 4

Of course it is.

Just like the millions of pounds local companies will spend on unnecessary plastic screens and a whole host of other unrequired shite.

The government handled things fairly well but the opening up of things and the school situation is utterly shambolic.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, slinkydevil said:

Gangs of kids out and about round town today, not social distancing. Only to go back to schools imposing social distancing, to then walk home in groups not social distancing. The whole thing is a getting to be farcical. 

Governments and the press should have lied a lot less about all this from day one. They’ve scared so many people that we are going to have to put up with all this bullshit and layers of stupid unenforceable rules years and it still won’t make a difference for a hardcore of flats earthers who have been handed the perfect excuse for trying to do absolutely fuck all for the next 5 years on the grounds that any solution to this problem isn’t safe because they say so. It’s time to start treating the public sector just like the private sector - it’s fine if you don’t want to work here’s your £280pw until August and then it’s the dole and go and lock yourself up in your virus bunker while they repossess your house. 

• Haha 1