Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
BallaDoc

Gambler took his own life

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=55924&headline=Gambler took his own life&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2020

OK, those in support of the e-gaming industry will say (and have said) "We sincerely apologise and take full responsibility for the regulatory breaches identified by the Gambling Commission... PTES’s actions fell significantly short of the high standards we set ourselves as a group....The failings occurred in a business that is now closed... We have since invested significantly in making sure these types of breaches do not happen again...the lessons from this tragic case must be learned by all operators."  And so on, and so forth.

However, all of that looks rather like putting lipstick on a pig.  Underneath, it's still a pig.  Do we really want a big chunk of the island's economy to be dependent on this type of activity, which, as far as I can see, doesn't involve making anything of value, just shunting money around from one bank account to another?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

There appears to be some sort of "moral" angle here right?

The reality is cases like this are a very very small percentage.  Unfortunately people have addictions.  There are far more people addicted to food which is killing many more every day.

This story is tragic.   But it happens.  As it does with drugs, ale, smoking, food etc.

I don't get your point about "making anything of value".  What would you suggest?

The egaming industry is critical here. Like it or not.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

When the fun stops... STOP

"There, that's us absolved of liability"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

How many butchers have given people heart attacks selling bacon?

How many finance companies have lost people's pensions over the last 3 months over covid?

How many breweries and landlords have driven people to alcoholism?

How many people are responsible for the choices of lifestyle of others?

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

The adverts for gambling during the "lockdown" have been rather sinister:

"Please be sensible betting while you have nothing better to do, but keep gambling you mugs"

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

I don't get your point about "making anything of value".  What would you suggest?

It seems to me that the e-gaming industry is qualitatively different from other activities in a rather fundamental way.  For example, fishermen produce a catch of fish.  Farmers produce crops.  Dandara produces homes.  The tourism industry produces racing events like the TT, and fills hotels and restaurants with people.  Entertainers put on performances at the Gaiety and the Villa Marina.  In all of those cases you can point to something being created, even if it is somewhat intangible like a race or a piece of performance art.  But what is produced by the e-gaming industry is so intangible that I am having difficulty seeing it.  It seems, as I said, to consist mainly of moving money from one bank account to another, with little or nothing of value being created in the process.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

One of main issues is that the IOM Government contribute ZERO to aid any problem gambling, the only charity involved in the IOM is GamCare which relies solely on voluntary donations. Government takes but doesn't care about the problems caused across the whole range of population by gambling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, BallaDoc said:

It seems to me that the e-gaming industry is qualitatively different from other activities in a rather fundamental way.  For example, fishermen produce a catch of fish.  Farmers produce crops.  Dandara produces homes.  The tourism industry produces racing events like the TT, and fills hotels and restaurants with people.  Entertainers put on performances at the Gaiety and the Villa Marina.  In all of those cases you can point to something being created, even if it is somewhat intangible like a race or a piece of performance art.  But what is produced by the e-gaming industry is so intangible that I am having difficulty seeing it.  It seems, as I said, to consist mainly of moving money from one bank account to another, with little or nothing of value being created in the process.

Well it certainly creates a huge amount of our tax take.  Which helps fund things like the NHS.

By your logic basically none of the finance sector produces anything either.

I dont really understand your point.  Are you saying something can only be good if it produces something at the end?

Using you example of entertainers - they dont produce anything as such.  No more so that Pokerstars providing a platform for people to play poker etc.

Egamers provide a service and make money from it.  Which generates our biggest tax contribution.  And feeds into the wider economy.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Well it certainly creates a huge amount of our tax take.  Which helps fund things like the NHS.

I dont really understand your point.  Are you saying something can only be good if it produces something at the end?

Using you example of entertainers - they dont produce anything as such.  No more so that Pokerstars providing a platform for people to play poker etc.

Egamers provide a service and make money from it.  Which generates our biggest tax contribution.  And feeds into the wider economy.

Found the egaming apologist...

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Almost but not quite right there, because there are shades of difference between the various sectors of the finance industry. I concede that the insurance industry produces an important and useful product (people need to insure their houses and cars) and to a limited extent the stock market does too (enables price discovery and sends market signals indicating which businesses are doing well and which need to go to the wall).  But "high frequency trading", where computers buy and sell stocks in nanoseconds based mainly on whether other computers are buying or selling the same stocks, is a typical example of a financial activity of no value: it does not create any useful market signals, it causes instability in the markets and it simply rewards those with the fastest computers and the cleverest algorithms. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Realist really.

Eating addictions kill more.  Fact

Apples and oranges.  

Cows kill more than sharks globally.  Fact.

Which would you say is more dangerous on a case by case basis.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RIchard Britten said:

Apples and oranges.  

Cows kill more than sharks globally.  Fact.

Which would you say is more dangerous on a case by case basis.

That is irrelevant.

This is about accusations that gambling creates addicts that kill themselves and that there is a moral issue around that.

I'm simply pointing out the facts.  Those facts are that these types of cases are a very small percetage.  And that far more people die as the result of food additions but are quite happy to shop in Tesco etc.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

That is irrelevant.

This is about accusations that gambling creates addicts that kill themselves and that there is a moral issue around that.

I'm simply pointing out the facts.  Those facts are that these types of cases are a very small percetage.  And that far more people die as the result of food additions but are quite happy to shop in Tesco etc.

People shop for food to survive.

If egambling didn't exist, would people become addicted to it and kill themselves because  of it?

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1