Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Uhtred

Ministerial changes

Baker to Infrastructure; Harmer new Policy and Reform Minister. That’s a brilliant piss-take Howard. Congratulations.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Harmer new Policy and Reform Minister. 

Usual IOMG solution. Reward incompetence and promote out of trouble.......

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Baker to Infrastructure; Harmer new Policy and Reform Minister. That’s a brilliant piss-take Howard. Congratulations.

It was always going to be Baker. The surprise is they've finally moved Harmer on. 

Harmer will do bugger all for next year then, same as with DOI, probably put some numpty like callister to MUA

Baker to Comin is to be welcomed. He has a hell of a job on his hands though. Word of advice to him, the public want the existing infrastructure maintained and improved as a priority. Harmer, hmmm well I suppose his move was to be expected.

• Like 2

In terms of the Tynpotwald gene pool, there isn’t a lot that HRH The Chief Minister has to work with. Also a lot of the backbenchers, including those MHKs who ‘show devotion’ when it suits, have consciousness when voting, so won’t be considered COMIN material. Like it has been suggested, some don’t want the extra responsibility, or the extra money.

• Like 1

It would not have mattered who had been moved or promoted it would not have suited the bitter government haters on here who probably take ten minutes each morning to sort out which foot to put their shoes on.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

What trouble was Baker in?

I think you know that meant Harmer! He should be getting sacked, for the state of the DoI, not moved out of trouble.

As much as anything it looks like an attempt to save Harmer's skin over the promenade debacle. Baker was his recently appointed deputy/2nd anyway so he's just been moved up to the DOI sacrificial block as the next in line. He'd already defended matters to the hilt so he's a natural for the Dept.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Nellie said:

I think you know that meant Harmer! He should be getting sacked, for the state of the DoI, not moved out of trouble.

You said promote so I didn't really get it.  Harmer hasn't been promoted.  Baker has.  So i just didnt see what you were on about really.

I'd agree about Harmer.  He's been moved sideways after not covering himself in glory with DOI.

Baker doesn't excite me but he seems to have done nothing much wrong that I can see.

Edited by The Dog's Dangly Bits
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

You said promote so I didn't really get it.  Harmer hasn't been promoted.  Baker has.  So i just didnt see what you were on about really.

I'd agree about Harmer.  He's been moved sideways after not covering himself in glory with DOI.

Baker doesn't excite me but he seems to have done nothing much wrong that I can see.

My issue with Baker is he rarely challenges the status quo and is very condescending to anyone who does. He has done what is necessary to get himself into CoMin so we'll see how much of a poison chalice DOI actually is at next years election.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

You are right Baker is not exciting, but works hard and can handle detail which is what is required in DoI. He obviously just needs to get the current schemes over the line without further fuss and then just concentrate on sorting out the basics. There will be further expensive capital  projects, they will want to stimulate the construction industry, but hopefully they will be well thought out and will enhance the island and not be a vanity project such as a cruise liner berth.

1 hour ago, Golfer said:

Harmer will do bugger all for next year then, same as with DOI, probably put some numpty like callister to MUA

Harmer is possibly the most useless Minister that has been appointed in the last 20 years. It is literally unbelievable that they see fit to put him in policy and reform after spectacular screw up made of everything the DOI has touched. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

You are right Baker is not exciting, but works hard and can handle detail which is what is required in DoI. 

Agreed. He's also bright enough and a fairly decent and principled individual. What will be interesting is if he can actually subtly bring about change from within 'the club' or whether he's just become fully assimilated. I had hoped for some of the former (in a low key sort of way), but his high handed position on the Snuff the Wind biker ban suggests he's become just another member of the prefects' club. We'll see.

• Like 1