47 minutes ago, GreyWolf said:

Take Alfred out of the equation and maybe Allinson  and I think we have the weakest/poorest top level of government we’ve ever had at present, though in a funny sort of way that probably makes Alfreds position stronger, especially if he’s a good political tactician behind the scenes. At the last election I actually thought we might get real change but most have jumped aboard the lethargic bus I guess they’ll be a lot of new faces next time.

I’m afraid Poor Little Alfie is going to have to work miracles in next months emergency revised budget. He can’t get away with screwing the general population, the workers and ignoring some of the shirkers. It is also a test if he is really serious for the top job, for addressing the civil service issue. Has he really got the bottle to do anything?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Usual IOMG solution. Reward incompetence and promote out of trouble.......

Baker to Infrastructure; Harmer new Policy and Reform Minister. That’s a brilliant piss-take Howard. Congratulations.

You have to click on the link to members interests, which shows him as a member of "Elim Pentecostal Church, Ramsey" among other things. It also discloses shares in Thomas Cook PLC, so his commer

Posted Images

At the 2016 a record number of female MHKs were elected. But it was still only 5/21. So in 2018 they made an effort to diversify the previously all-male LEGCO and five woman were appointed. 

At the start of his reign, Quayle basically appointed every re-elected  MHK who was available to Comin except Robertshaw. That was 7 men and 1 woman. A little over a year later he sacked the woman and promoted a man into her role  

Two further vacancies have arisen and each time a man has been given the role.  Three of whom - Skelly, Cregeen, Hammer - don’t have much public confidence in them. 

ls this how he sees it? Men get the doing roles within COMIN whilst women get to criticise as backbenchers and scrutinise in Legco?  

• Sad 1
21 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

To join in the first place he's either very stupid or a rank opportunist. I'm not sure either are good qualities in a politician

they're the perfect qualities for this lot

• Haha 1

To emphasise my point

excluding the bishop and AG. 

40 people have sat in Tynwald since the last election. 

30 men; 10 women. 

19 of the men (63.3 %) have been ministers at some point in their political careers  (admittedly a long time ago in the case of Henderson). 

1 of the women (10%) has been a minister, but at least Quayle gave her a bunch of flowers when he sacked her. 

50 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I’m afraid Poor Little Alfie is going to have to work miracles in next months emergency revised budget. He can’t get away with screwing the general population, the workers and ignoring some of the shirkers. It is also a test if he is really serious for the top job, for addressing the civil service issue. Has he really got the bottle to do anything?

It's not a question of bottle. It's a question of if he'd be ALLOWED to do anything. Reform and change has been successfully fought and resisted in the face of previous necessity at every turn.

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

After seeing the performance of the women currently in Tynwald at the minute I as sure as hell would never vote for one they are abysmal.

As HRH The Chief Minister and his mantra ‘ Manx Solutions to Manx Problems’ our form of Manx Equal Opportunities is to take drastic action when facing potential criticism, and to show how politically correct we are. A version of Manx Meritocracy. In an ideal world all should be equal, unfortunately some are more equal than others.

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

As has been suggested here (I think), Treasury isn't spending as much as had been feared might be the case & the emergency budget may well be postponed

Just now, Donald Trumps said:

As has been suggested here (I think), Treasury isn't spending as much as had been feared might be the case & the emergency budget may well be postponed

Are Treasury sending out personal tax returns yet?

2 minutes ago, forestboy said:

Are Treasury sending out personal tax returns yet?

Yes they’ve been working quite hard in the background I think to get stuff processed and out. 

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

After seeing the performance of the women currently in Tynwald at the minute I as sure as hell would never vote for one they are abysmal.

That's just your usual sexist shite to be honest Sid.

The ladies have certainly done no worse tha  their Male colleagues.   Several of them are actually pretty switched on too.

Have a think about what you are saying for once.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, 2112 said:

What should he do then Einstein?

The budget in July is going to depend heavily on the data being collected until the end of June.

The answer isn't going to be whole sale mass job reductions in government.   Not only is it probably not the answer but more importantly it is actually a costly and time consuming exercise to save what might be immaterial amounts of money.

The Revolving Loan Facility Treasury ran by Tynwald in April will be back for final approval in July. I suspect the plan is to utilise that to make up the cash flow issue in the short term to fully assess the damage which won't be clear for another six months.

I can see tax rises coming at some point but it is unlikely to be in July.

• Confused 1

Dodgy territory ahead of a general election

Treasury will be in a bit of a pickle with two of the major contenders for the CM role in the team

Alf has tried to rein in spending and stop the large public sector pay rise of 2.75% but is being outvoted by Howie,Ashie etc who want to keep civil servants happy.