Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man

Black Lives Matter

As promoted on the Nations Propoganda Mouthpiece today.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/black-lives-matter-protest-to-be-held-in-douglas/

I have no problem with this, and in principle is good to show solidarity. I am curious as to why it’s being held outside IOM Bank, a bit of an odd place to protest? Why not outside Tynpotwald? Let’s face it, our shower a racist personified - encourage and promote multi culturalism into the highest echelons of the Manx Establishment, yet can’t be arsed to give them a vote! I envisage some of our politicos jumping on the bandwagon, walk the walk but ain’t doing the talk, which is part of the course!

On the whole this island is relatively multi cultural and most people of religion,  creeds and nationality get along. There are some nasty and ignorant people on the island and as a whole are very much the minority. 

I only hope the words demonstration doesn’t get our CC salivating at the chance to use some force, or even try and arrest people for say, coronavirus offences, such as too many people protesting. 

I wonder if any pallets of bricks will mysteriously appear near to the protest site...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I only hope the words demonstration doesn’t get our CC salivating at the chance to use some force, or even try and arrest people for say, coronavirus offences, such as too many people protesting. 

A bit silly doing this right now given the way emergency powers are being abused. They’ll probably all end up in the Covid wing of the Jurby Hilton on trumped up charges. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, 2112 said:

[...]  I am curious as to why it’s being held outside IOM Bank, a bit of an odd place to protest? Why not outside Tynpotwald? Let’s face it, our shower a racist personified - encourage and promote multi culturalism into the highest echelons of the Manx Establishment, yet can’t be arsed to give them a vote! I envisage some of our politicos jumping on the bandwagon, walk the walk but ain’t doing the talk, which is part of the course!

Well assuming it's the main IOM Bank on the corner of Prospect Hill and Athol Street that they're talking about (space-wise the  one in Strand Street/Regent Street would make better sense) the idea is presumably to be within sight of the two centres of Manx political power at once.

I don't understand what you mean about not giving people votes though.  As far as I know the only requirement to vote on the Island is to have been resident for over a year and aged 16+.  There doesn't seem to any restriction on nationality - though of course you do have to be legally resident.  I can't think of any country that has a more generous franchise.

• Like 5

I hope that by showing token solidarity, as that is all we ever do, we don't open rifts where none existed? 

Multi-culturalism is a failed experiment in the UK and elsewhere, somehow the island has avoided all of the pitfalls by welcoming various cultures into the Manx way of life. It's great to hear Manx accents coming out of the mouths of some of the young people of various cultures too!

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

All lives matter.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Needs to be outside a sportshop surely. Less distance to run from with few pairs of new trainers.

• Haha 7

51 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well assuming it's the main IOM Bank on the corner of Prospect Hill and Athol Street that they're talking about (space-wise the  one in Strand Street/Regent Street would make better sense) the idea is presumably to be within sight of the two centres of Manx political power at once.

I don't understand what you mean about not giving people votes though.  As far as I know the only requirement to vote on the Island is to have been resident for over a year and aged 16+.  There doesn't seem to any restriction on nationality - though of course you do have to be legally resident.  I can't think of any country that has a more generous franchise.

You really shouldnt be surprised at what 2112 has said in terms of accuracy.

"Racism personified " - jesus wept:whatever:

55 minutes ago, Mr Newbie said:

A bit silly doing this right now given the way emergency powers are being abused. They’ll probably all end up in the Covid wing of the Jurby Hilton on trumped up charges. 

That's kind of the point and the ONLY reason I'm actually ok with the protest. I don't give a fuck about blacklivesmatter, I think all lives matter - however the police have been UTTER twats in their draconian enforcement of simple rules. So in that regard, go nuts, protest. I'm glad they're getting off their ass and protesting about something! I wish I had the heart to be bothered enough to do it myself. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rog said:

All lives matter.

Except for those that don't

I expect the protest will be in front of the U.S. Embassy in Douglas - otherwise an IOM protest about police brutality in Murrica makes no sense except as a virtue signalling snowstorm.

In other news (saw this on a graph earlier) , in 2018 the USA had around fifty thousand white on black violent crimes, compared with four hundred thousand black on black and around 550,000 black on white violent crimes.

ALL Lives Matter!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

I expect the protest will be in front of the U.S. Embassy in Douglas - otherwise an IOM protest about police brutality in Murrica makes no sense except as a virtue signalling snowstorm.

In other news (saw this on a graph earlier) , in 2018 the USA had around fifty thousand white on black violent crimes, compared with four hundred thousand black on black and around 550,000 black on white violent crimes.

ALL Lives Matter!

Wow.  I assume the 50000 was mainly cops:o