Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Julie Edge (Onchan)

New Transparency Motion I moved is not a topic on here - is it "Man Forums"?

1 hour ago, woolley said:

And let's not start comparing the remuneration of the person driving the shitty 10 year old car for pin money to that of the postie with his salary and pension, and all of the management hangers on sitting on his back with their ridiculously inflated salaries and even bigger pensions

It's more or less a family business, The Post Office.

27 minutes ago, Josem said:

I don't understand how you can possibly expect for me to have a conversation with someone about the modelling if they refuse to share the modelling with me. If you want to have a conversation, go ahead and do so. I don't want to have such a conversation because I think it would be an absurd waste of time.

I'm sure the conversation would have been really interesting and very worthwhile. Although I'm not sure you'd have totally understood it as you don't seem to understand how statistics work. It wasn't long ago you were posting on twitter about the Isle of Man being one of the worst hit places  in the world, which is obviously not true. I think talking to you is probably an absurd waste of time. 

31 minutes ago, woolley said:

he post office killed this trade stone dead with pricing in proportion.

I've bee charged 6.50 by a Hermes type delivery for what the PO., E£nglish or Manx would charge 2.50! Known because of return charges or simply asking the local PO what this would cost.

The Hermes type delivery has become the norm but that is because it is the most convenient for the seller!

Wrighty is a Govt employee, the data he has produced is not his to give away. Yet, he never said that in his spat with Josem.

9 hours ago, woolley said:

And let's not start comparing the remuneration of the person driving the shitty 10 year old car for pin money to that of the postie with his salary and pension, and all of the management hangers on sitting on his back with their ridiculously inflated salaries and even bigger pensions

So you would like the Post Office to give same terms to posties that Hermes pay so you can get your parcel cheaper because staff are on shit terms?

if you check you will see management numbers are in line with any business similar in size,who do you think organises workforce,negotiates commercial contracts etc?

13 hours ago, Julie Edge (Onchan) said:

Be great to know what information you state you have so it can be addressed? 

Would you really be prepared to have allegations that may be about yourself posted on an open forum?

2 hours ago, Golfer said:

So you would like the Post Office to give same terms to posties that Hermes pay so you can get your parcel cheaper because staff are on shit terms?

if you check you will see management numbers are in line with any business similar in size,who do you think organises workforce,negotiates commercial contracts etc?

I am saying that this is a declining business, and consequently, it has to live within its means for the long term and not assume that in extremis the taxpayer will provide. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Julie, I think any move towards greater transparency should be encouraged and I think you were correct, in intention at least to present that Motion. However, I don’t think anything much will be achieved in terms of political transparency within the current political system and habit of the electorate. To continue with a list of independent candidates all presenting “manifestos” which they cannot promise to deliver and amount to nothing more than personal advertisements; a Programme for Government and a Chief Minister both decided post-Election and the creation of “Departmental Members” which mop up every elected MHK (with very few exceptions) into the payroll and patronage of Government is fundamentally anti-democratic and lacking in any kind of transparency that a normal person could recognise. What we need are groups of candidates standing in properly formulated political parties with a common Manifesto and a leader who would become their candidate for CM. Any conflicts of interest should be identified and declared through the selection process. Departmental Members should be abolished. Until this happens we will continue with the current secretive policy shambles and a 5 yearly guessing game. 
I am not making any comment about past membership of LV. That is not a Party of any meaning or credibility. I do find it noteworthy that the current group of MHKs had the opportunity of pursuing political reform but were happy to kick it back into the long grass and carry on regardless. For that reason, none of you will be the recipient of my vote next time round. 

Edited by joebean
  • Like 1

It's been mentioned earlier, but that 'New Transparency Motion I moved is not a topic on here - is it "Man Forums"?' thread title is such a blatant example of "LOOK AT ME!" posting that even TJ would be ashamed of it. Still, eleven pages and counting, eh?

3 hours ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

Would you really be prepared to have allegations that may be about yourself posted on an open forum?

Yes as I would like to know if someone has an allegation against me?

18 hours ago, Julie Edge (Onchan) said:

Yes on principle I will leave a party when told I can't do something because it was a question to a Minister that needed to be answered for a constituent. 

According to the newspaper report on this neither  of your party colleagues said you had not been denied the ability to ask questions and on principle thought that you should have stood for re election.

14 hours ago, Julie Edge (Onchan) said:

Your right the retail network (private businesses) has losses of over 1 million - so we have to work hard in the commercial business world to try and balance that out which really is a result of people not using post offices.

The post office lost a very lucrative mail handling contract when Readers Digest went to the wall. 

I think the absolute question is whether, based on the fact we are effectively servicing a dispersed village of 80,000 people, there is actually any need for Government to have any involvement in postal services beyond issue of stamps?

what do we think?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Max Power said:

The days when the P.O. was run on a shoestring with old vans, BSA Bantams and ancient buildings are long gone, unfortunately. Unions and legislation push up costs to the point that unless charges go up, the service is loss making. To be honest, I don't have a problem with that, Post Office services are vital to life and I can't see why they are expected to be profitable with all of the regulatory constraints which they have to endure. Public services need to be paid for but supported by central government, providing they are being run efficiently and not allowed to get fat and become a source of over salaried workers. Watchdogs should be appointed and Unions tamed in return for continuous employment!

Some form of cost effective courier service is vital & government needs to provide some services to citizens but it doesn't have to own the post office to do so

14 hours ago, woolley said:

So what do you do? The business is beyond mature. Its main function of delivering day to day communications is dying. It really doesn't matter what contracts were signed in the past. If it was a private enterprise and it continued to honour long established working practices while its core business shrank from under it then eventually it would adapt or simply go bust in the natural way of things.

Are you saying that because the taxpayer is ultimately on the hook for the bill it should have the divine right to remain preserved in aspic and financed for ever? It appears to me that attempts are being made to make the business sustainable before the situation becomes irredeemable. The unions and staff would be well advised to co-operate and at the same time to lobby for a drastic thinning out of management. I reckon the legacy business could then be sustainable for a lengthy period on the basis of managing decline and fitting the scope of activities to the revenue.

Sell it to it's workforce

• Like 1