"black lives matter" March on Tuesday

SJR

15 minutes ago, Declan said:

In my mind it's always meant 'Black Lives Matter Too'. I guess the movement's founders didn't anticipate the path the obfuscaters would take.

What, you mean the correct path of questioning it?

Perhaps the next bandwagon can be "Venezuelan lives matter" and a solidarity and awareness March about the 65 people a day murdered there?

5 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

I'd rather see something like "All People Are Human". Keep colour and religion, etc. out of it.

That just undermines the point of it and at best is completely structurally nonsensical and at worst is ineffectual.  I'm not going to bore you with the house on fire and cancer analogies, but the point of the movement is to specifically address the historic treatment of black people that has led to the deep rooted, explicit and implicit mistreatment of black people today.  Saying "All people are human" doesn't achieve any of that.  What BLM on the IOM is arguing for is better and stronger hate-crime legislation which, believe it or not, protects everyone - even white people.  If there is an instance where a white person is targeted because of their race, this legislation would protect them and give them justice.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

What, you mean the correct path of questioning it?

Perhaps the next bandwagon can be "Venezuelan lives matter" and a solidarity and awareness March about the 65 people a day murdered there?

Go ahead, sounds like a worthy cause.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

So I have made three reactions and am banned from making anymore today WTF.   Anyway all lives matter regardless of colour race and creed.:whatever:

You could always start a "white likes matter" movement.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Declan said:

Go ahead, sounds like a worthy cause.

The thing is: nobody is stopping anybody from doing this.  If people feel so strongly about it, go ahead and do a protest, collect money, send that money to Venezuela.  It's like the people who are like "Well when's international men's day" whenever it's international women's day, but don't bring it up the other 364/5 days of the year.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Declan said:

In my mind it's always meant 'Black Lives Matter Too'. I guess the movement's founders didn't anticipate the path the obfuscaters would take.

That's what I would think too Declan. It's a shame that for want of a defining word, the thing is open to hijack. 

13 hours ago, gettafa said:

You are forcing people into a fabricated argument.

All lives matter. Always have done always will. Full stop. All lives.

And to suggest otherwise, no matter how you flower it up as some sort of "counter-argument", I find offensive.

Then you're either thick as fuck or deliberately missing the point because denying the existence institutional/systemic racism is the easy option. 

Do you understand that BLM or any other equality campaign doesn't want to take anything away from you? You will not be poorer if people who are not white have a fair crack at the whip.

'All lives matter' and 'Black Lives Matter' are not mutually exclusive concepts but denying the requirement for the BLM movement is the resort of the lazy who don't want to contemplate that there is a problem with the way that many police forces around the world differentiate in the way they deal with people of colour and the way they treat white people.

Do you believe that a group of black men armed to the teeth would have been allowed to stand on the steps of various state capitol buildings and 'peacefully' protest by US law enforcement? If you do you're a fool.

1 minute ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Nooooooo....it was never going to be Black Lives Matter Too. That's the point. It's not about anyone else. It's not inclusive - it's exclusive. That's the politics of it. 

Have you got some evidence to back up that claim?

43 minutes ago, peter pan said:

The thing is: nobody is stopping anybody from doing this.  If people feel so strongly about it, go ahead and do a protest, collect money, send that money to Venezuela.  It's like the people who are like "Well when's international men's day" whenever it's international women's day, but don't bring it up the other 364/5 days of the year.  

There is one. It focuses on raising awareness about men's health, high rates of male suicide and nobody thinks it's anti-Woman because it has a purpose.

• Like 1

This Chicago resident has some thoughts on BLM (3 minutes)

https://www.facebook.com/themarkkaye/videos/256625282344755/

This woman also has some thoughts on BLM. Don't watch if you don't like colourful language or are offended by someone using the phrase "All lives matter" (2 minutes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=120&v=tfFBkCWfZS8&feature=emb_logo

You won't see this side of the story anywhere in the main stream media - absolute travesty.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Irkin said:

This Chicago resident has some thoughts on BLM (3 minutes)

https://www.facebook.com/themarkkaye/videos/256625282344755/

This woman also has some thoughts on BLM. Don't watch if you don't like colourful language or are offended by someone using the phrase "All lives matter" (2 minutes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=120&v=tfFBkCWfZS8&feature=emb_logo

You won't see this side of the story anywhere in the main stream media - absolute travesty.

Whilst I'm always interested to hear people's opinions, I have to wonder what the aim is here? I'm sure you're not suggesting that being able to demonstrate that not all black people believe in the BLM movement makes BLM irrelevant?

36 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

denying the existence institutional/systemic racism is the easy option

Really? Don't see many people being hounded out of office, losing their livelihood, being publicly shamed and forced to apologise or take a knee over agreeing with the approved orthodoxy. You use the word lazy but imo it's intellectually lazy in the extreme to just accept the prevailing narrative when there is plenty of evidence to the contrary.