"black lives matter" March on Tuesday

5 minutes ago, woolley said:

To me it smacks of them running scared of being associated, quite irrationally, with racism. You can see why they would fear that, but it isn't really a good look to throw the rules out of the window and buckle to it. It invites further episodes of mob rule.

Yep, it will just take one idiot to either ignore distancing or think that they can replicate some of the hooliganism seen at the demos in the UK over the weekend, and it is going to be an almighty f*ck up.  It would seem that is a risk the CC is willing to take, unwisely.

• Like 1
  • Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of the organisers has been spouting on FB how he is going to educate the people of the Isle of Man cheeky bastard and if we cannot make the march we can take a knee at 1.00pm.    I have never thou

I attended the protest. Plenty of social distancing the vast majority also masked up. People of all ages and ethnic backgrounds present. Very respectfully undertaken.

Totally agree with you SJR there will be the usual mob plus a few useless students and in the front the grandstanding MHKs.   Busy part of town, lunchtime, social distancing  not a chance.   I hope it

Posted Images

12 hours ago, Gladys said:

I think they have said they will ask people to gather in groups of ten  with one person responsible to ensure distancing.  That sounds fine providing there are no loose canons there. It will take just one person stepping out of line and could go horribly wrong. it sends out the wrong message and undermines all the efforts we have all taken to keep to ourselves for all this time. 

Under that logic we can reopen everything. We could even have the TT on, as long as spectators gather in groups of 10. 

• Like 4

I'll report back on how it goes and If the Forum's worst fears were  realised with ensuing anarchy.

What I suspect (and hope)will happen is that the protest will go peacefully. If it does I further suspect (and hope I am wrong) that  the same anarchy predicting forumites will then crow about it having been a waste of time and that nothing will have changed as a result. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

I'll report back on how it goes and If the Forum's worst fears were  realised with ensuing anarchy.

What I suspect (and hope)will happen is that the protest will go peacefully. If it does I further suspect (and hope I am wrong) that  the same anarchy predicting forumites will then crow about it having been a waste of time and that nothing will have changed as a result. 

I highly doubt there will be any trouble. It's an emotional issue and people want to feel part of the global outcry but unless the Foxdale Freedom Fighters make an appearance, the biggest risk is that if the almost 600 who say they're going will really turn up, it's going to be impossible to do the 2m social distancing. Anarchy in Douglas? Certainly not. A second Corona wave? Hopefully not. 

• Like 5
23 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Under that logic we can reopen everything. We could even have the TT on, as long as spectators gather in groups of 10. 

As long as there are no people coming from outside our borders, yes.

31 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

But that's the logic imposed by the Manx Government and encouraged by their poor communications.  They've allowed groups of ten to gather (going up to 30 next Monday[1]), providing they follow social distancing guidelines.  But in practice you can't prevent larger groups gathering at particular places for a similar purpose, otherwise you'd have to also say that only 10 people are allowed to be shopping in Strand Street at a time or sitting on the beach or whatever.

[1]  One of the many problems with poor 'messaging' that there has been is the tendency to make a big thing of future changes and so confuse people as to what the current situation is.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

But that's the logic imposed by the Manx Government and encouraged by their poor communications.  They've allowed groups of ten to gather (going up to 30 next Monday[1]), providing they follow social distancing guidelines.  But in practice you can't prevent larger groups gathering at particular places for a similar purpose, otherwise you'd have to also say that only 10 people are allowed to be shopping in Strand Street at a time or sitting on the beach or whatever.

[1]  One of the many problems with poor 'messaging' that there has been is the tendency to make a big thing of future changes and so confuse people as to what the current situation is.

The CC should be pretty clear on what the current allowable number of people. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Maxmann said:

WILL MEMBERS OF THE ONCHAN BRANCH OF THE KKK BE ALLOWED TO ATTEND?

There's a KKK in Onchan? Sweet, saves me having to go back to Manila for it. Their Sisig is quite good. 3xtyonpfwz7z.jpg?width=1024&auto=webp&s=054be6d1fb12417ca2c2a34660f9703186454614

• Haha 1

One of the organisers has been spouting on FB how he is going to educate the people of the Isle of Man cheeky bastard and if we cannot make the march we can take a knee at 1.00pm.    I have never thought of myself as being racist I treat everyone the same to me every one is a human being and no one is better than anyone else but the sheer arrogance of this man is amazing.   This march is making people think about a them and us situation it is divisive and we do not need this in our small community.

• Like 8

Much as I dislike Jim Davidson he did have a point about taking the knee being the adopted BLM gesture, given that the police thug knelt on George Floyd's neck.