Quayle’s Border Force

6 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I’m not sure. How do they know where you are after leaving IoM and UK? There’s no checks as you go from one Schengen country to another. They don’t need to know how long you’re here, but how long you are in the country claiming you’re tax resident

I am stretching it a bit when it comes to the EU I admit, however do not rule out a future EU harmonised tax zone. The HMRC could easily monitor it, and would be all over it.

5 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

What residency timings? Examples?

Not at our end, as John correctly stated, but in other jurisdictions. The UK now has a residency test of which one part stipulates a number of days spent in the UK (something like 183). I do not profess to being a tax professional, just someone who  supplies requested information to my accountant. Mr Dearden will no doubt be a little more helpful.

They'll be there to turn back Manx folks heading off-island to spend their hard-earned shekels off-island at Liverpool One and on overseas holidays.

By decree of Alf and Laurence all spending must now be done on-Island to save the economy. There'll also be dogs and razor wire to enforce the point :lol:

5 minutes ago, Rog said:

I believe ALL of that and more.  And I'm FAR from alone.

Whether you are a leaver or remainer, do you think that this now the time to Brexit? The UK government have not exactly covered themselves in glory during this crisis, so is it wise for the same government team to lead the UK out of the EU with either  a fudge agreement or hard brexit during what is likely to be a severe recession? Interested to hear your reasoned response. My personal feeling is that economically it will be damaging, as those who have business interests in the regions have no confidence in the end goal, whatever it is, and business relies on confidence to invest and grow.

8 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

Whether you are a leaver or remainer, do you think that this now the time to Brexit? The UK government have not exactly covered themselves in glory during this crisis, so is it wise for the same government team to lead the UK out of the EU with either  a fudge agreement or hard brexit during what is likely to be a severe recession? Interested to hear your reasoned response. My personal feeling is that economically it will be damaging, as those who have business interests in the regions have no confidence in the end goal, whatever it is, and business relies on confidence to invest and grow.

We do not need a "deal" at this time. The time for any trade negotiations is AFTER severing all ties and only then establish relationships with which other nations will be most beneficial to us.  As for the Chinese Plague being any reason not to get shot of all formal connection with the dreadful EU, absolutely not.  The very last thing would be to delay.  Quite apart from anything else delay will cost us billions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tax, BREXIT - all red herrings.  This is just another 'power grab' by the State imposing yet another regulation/restriction where one is neither required nor desirable.

Whatever mental affliction is seemingly running rampant among the Parish Council (add this to Harmer's announcement yesterday) is far more dangerous than CV.  CV affected a minority of our population - these brain-farts affect us all.

Edited by Utah 01
Spelling
  • Like 2

Regarding tax residency rules. This is a very complicated and fraught area.  Whole careers are built in understanding and defending/prosecuting them. I am long out of date and was never an expert.

I think the best way to think of things is to understand that any tax authority will, given the opportunity,  try to establish you being liable to pay their taxes. The UK is unusual in that there are no actual 'rules'. There are a number of tests which will be applied to assess whether you are tax resident.  You often hear of 90 days, or as above 183 days. Such tests are merely guides, not cast in stone. Most of us have no problem,  we live here, make our money here, collect our pensions here and pay our taxes here. If challenged we would have no problem proving our Manxness. Some of us are wealthy enough to enjoy extended holidays,  if I go to Spain or UK for 3 months over the winter that would not change anything. 

There are  of course, those who are taking the piss, they claim to live here and construct a fictional story to support this. In reality they actually earn/live in a different jurisdiction.  These are the ones the UK etc would like to catch. Imagine you are in a car crash and find yourself in a UK hospital for 6 months in some coma, I don't think the HMRC will have you in court for becoming UK tax resident as you have overstayed your welcome. 

I'm sure PD will add more meat to this.

26 minutes ago, Utah 01 said:

Tax, BREXIT - all red herrings.  This is just another 'power grab' by the State imposing yet another regulation/restriction where one is neither required nor desirable.

Whatever mental affliction is seemingly running rampant among the Parish Council (add this to Harmer's announcement yesterday) is far more dangerous than CV.  CV affected a minority of our population - these brain-farts affect us all.

Tax, brexit, whatever, I would agree that it all adds up to the same thing data collection and therefore power, which is why I am uncomfortable with it and detailed reasons should be given to the population at large.