Statues

James Hampton

1 minute ago, piebaps said:

Each to their own. Its none of my business.

How gracious. 

1 minute ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

People rarely ASK for statues to be put up.  Others decide that usually.

I realise that, but the question concerns the thinking behind statues of individuals - and so is to illustrate the point only. The mindset that wants to edify the individual rather than the action is the second point. 

Probably about the same as I would think of someone who started a thread on Manx Forums, starting 'If you met someone, and they told you they wanted there to be a statue of them, what would you think?'

Edited to add:

A numpity numpty.

Edited to add further:

Not really 'Local News' is it la'?

Try 'General Chat'

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

43 minutes ago, James Hampton said:

How gracious. 

I realise that, but the question concerns the thinking behind statues of individuals - and so is to illustrate the point only. The mindset that wants to edify the individual rather than the action is the second point. 

Statues seem fine to me.  Anyone who thinks Nelson's statue, for example, should be removed etc need to give their head a shake.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Probably about the same as I would think of someone who started a thread on Manx Forums, starting 'If you met someone, and they told you they wanted there to be a statue of them, what would you think?'

Edited to add:

A numpity numpty.

I think I know what a numpty is. But a numpity numpty? 

Is that MF specific, and does it apply to anyone who starts a thread, or only those who’re thinking about statues? 

1 hour ago, James Hampton said:

If you met someone, and they told you they wanted there to be a statue of them, what would you think?

Who the hell does he think he is?   George Formby. After checking i wasnt talking to Norman Wisdom,Joey Dunlop,Steve Hislop,or a bunch of old Laxey miners

Edited by Ďouglas Peel
Daftness

1 hour ago, James Hampton said:

If you met someone, and they told you they wanted there to be a statue of them, what would you think?

I think most politicians really crave a statute or at the very least a plaque on something. All the buildings around town that have “This building was opened on the XX of XX by XX” is tribute to that fact. For them it must be lovely sat in an old people’s home knowing that as the ex head of the department of pencils you opened a new building in 1966 and your name is still on a plaque at the front door! 

• Thanks 1