Jump to content

Statues


James Hampton
 Share

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Different things to different people.

In the case of the statue on Douglas promenade I'd say as a reminder of those who gave their lives in war.

Ah, but that’s completely different isn’t it, it’s not a statue of an individual person. It’s a statue to represent countless people.

If there was a suggestion to replace Nelson with something representing the people who gave their lives under his command would that be a bad idea? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, James Hampton said:

Ah, but that’s completely different isn’t it, it’s not a statue of an individual person. It’s a statue to represent countless people.

If there was a suggestion to replace Nelson with something representing the people who gave their lives under his command would that be a bad idea? 

Yes.  Definitely. 

You could of course create an additional statue to them.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, James Hampton said:

I think I know what a numpty is. But a numpity numpty? 

Is that MF specific, and does it apply to anyone who starts a thread, or only those who’re thinking about statues? 

It's someone who starts a General Chat thread in Local News section of the forum.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mr Newbie said:

I think most politicians really crave a statute or at the very least a plaque on something. All the buildings around town that have “This building was opened on the XX of XX by XX” is tribute to that fact. For them it must be lovely sat in an old people’s home knowing that as the ex head of the department of pencils you opened a new building in 1966 and your name is still on a plaque at the front door! 

Funniest use of these "plaques" ive seen ,was on a Visit to Cuba,where many German owned modern resort hotels had " Opened by  Fidel Castro in 1992 " plaques in the foyers.(The grandfather of communist revolution, endorses a western temple of capitalism)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Yes.  Definitely. 

You could of course create an additional statue to them.

 

So that brings us back to the original question. What purpose  does the statue of the individual serve, if (as you’ve just clarified) the reason they are represented is based mostly on the sacrifice of others (which seems to be a common theme)? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, gettafa said:

It's someone who starts a General Chat thread in Local News section of the forum.

Perhaps you’re right though, we’re not too big on statues locally are we. More fond of a portrait hanging in Tynwald I guess. Same logic though isn’t it? What are your thoughts on those? We pay for them don’t we, so you must have an opinion on them surely?

There’s one of Goldie Taubman if memory serves me right, so that’s topical isn’t it? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, James Hampton said:

So that brings us back to the original question. What purpose  does the statue of the individual serve, if (as you’ve just clarified) the reason they are represented is based mostly on the sacrifice of others (which seems to be a common theme)? 

Well I suppose with the case of Nelson he was an exceptional leader who shaped the environment we live in today (perhaps you should read up on him).  The sacrifice of others shouldn't be forgotten but the reality is he's one of our greatest britains.

You could have the same discussion about Isaac Newton perhaps or Brunel.  

You could argue Brunel's men did the manual labour.  But the fact is anyone could have done that to a degree.  Not anyone could do what Brunel (or Nelson say) did.  They've shaped what Britain is today.

It's a bit of a sad indictment of people's lives that they literally have so little going on in those lives that the wankers have to vandalise statues.  I can only really put it down to lockdown sending people a bit mental. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, James Hampton said:

Perhaps you’re right though, we’re not too big on statues locally are we. More fond of a portrait hanging in Tynwald I guess. Same logic though isn’t it? What are your thoughts on those? We pay for them don’t we, so you must have an opinion on them surely?

There’s one of Goldie Taubman if memory serves me right, so that’s topical isn’t it? 

I literally couldn't care less about what portraits hang in Tynwald and if I ever do get to the point where I have so little going on that it becomes a concern then I'll know life is over. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This thread is another step in the direction Pongo was heading last night. Strange that we never had the debate "what have statues ever done for us" until they started being attacked by total morons. It's craven appeasement by apologists for criminals and nothing more. Give them the statues, what next? They have an expansive agenda. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ďouglas Peel said:

Funniest use of these "plaques" ive seen ,was on a Visit to Cuba,where many German owned modern resort hotels had " Opened by  Fidel Castro in 1992 " plaques in the foyers.(The grandfather of communist revolution, endorses a western temple of capitalism)

I think there were a few communist revolutionaries before Castro

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, James Hampton said:

What purpose does the statue serve? 

The whole of Trafalgar Square is a monument to the British triumphalist century that followed Napoleon's defeat, apparently

I read that on The Guardian website, for I am a pinko liberal

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, woolley said:

This thread is another step in the direction Pongo was heading last night. Strange that we never had the debate "what have statues ever done for us" until they started being attacked by total morons. It's craven appeasement by apologists for criminals and nothing more. Give them the statues, what next? They have an expansive agenda. 

Statues are being 'defended' by total morons today

& they are fighting with the police who I presume are defending the public

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, woolley said:

 Strange that we never had the debate "what have statues ever done for us" until they started being attacked by total morons.

We have had a few over the years, many when one is proposed. Is it Roger or Vinnie K that has an irrational prejudice in public art in all it's forms.

I bet there's loads of statues that have been removed over the years that people have barely noticed (I've a vague recollection of one on Lord Street).

One of the statues in Trafalgar Square they've boarded up is James II and I wondered why one of Britains least lamented monarchs should have a statue in such a prominent place - the establishment deposed him after three years. He commissioned it himself during his reign and they're stuck with it. I found a debate in the House of Lords in the fifties about whether it should be replaced by one of Walter Raleigh but I don't think that went anywhere. Probably just as well.

Did anyone see the defenders of Churchill's statue Zeig Heilling the police, that's got to be more disrespectful to his memory than calling him a racist.

Anyway, a few years ago I wrote a story about where statues go when nobody wants them anymore ...

https://medium.com/@declaniom/waterloo-e35657e0cca6?source=friends_link&sk=af2a33fed28ad64c9ad609d9b2943982

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...