Statues

James Hampton

3 hours ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

He's someone who hands over enormous amounts of his own money too for good causes.

IIRC Jimmy Saville was very charitable. Maybe Ronaldo is just a "likeable rogue".

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Well morally I suppose it a weak argument and needs to revert to law.

What i find morally unacceptable you might find perfectly morally acceptable. We can argue about any given subject from a morality view all we like but the defining point is that of law.

So I suppose in your Ronaldo case - he was accused of sexually assaulting someone.  It would appear he won't be facing any convictions.     

It was a hypothetical question. The same hypothetical scenario would apply if say there were a statue of Jimmy Savile as others have noted. Should it stay - hypothetically? 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, woolley said:

Not much taken with a lot of the music either, TBH. I am the walrus. What a load of bilge. 

I'm not a musician but I read it is quite a complex composition with a lot of orchestration added by George Martin

Lennon: "It never dawned on me that Lewis Carroll was commenting on the capitalist system. I never went into that bit about what he really meant, like people are doing with the Beatles' work. Later, I went back and looked at it and realized that the walrus was the bad guy in the story and the carpenter was the good guy. I thought, Oh, shit, I picked the wrong guy. I should have said, 'I am the carpenter.'"

• Like 1

It's a lot to do with where they're put in my view. I don't think I've seen the Beatles statue, but looks like it's on the waterfront. I'll look out for it next time I'm over.

I like the Sir Norman and George Formby figures in Douglas. The Sefton certainly did well out of that. I like the Steve Hislop statue too, but I don't like where it is. Anyone know where the Bee Gees figures are going ? 

8 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

I'm not a musician but I read it is quite a complex composition with a lot of orchestration added by George Martin

Lennon: "It never dawned on me that Lewis Carroll was commenting on the capitalist system. I never went into that bit about what he really meant, like people are doing with the Beatles' work. Later, I went back and looked at it and realized that the walrus was the bad guy in the story and the carpenter was the good guy. I thought, Oh, shit, I picked the wrong guy. I should have said, 'I am the carpenter.'"

Yes, it's pure nonsense verse, like Edward Lear or Lewis Carroll. There was a lot of it in music of the 1960s. The Beatles and George Martin never put a foot wrong in my book.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

It's a lot to do with where they're put in my view. I don't think I've seen the Beatles statue, but looks like it's on the waterfront. I'll look out for it next time I'm over.

I like the Sir Norman and George Formby figures in Douglas. The Sefton certainly did well out of that. I like the Steve Hislop statue too, but I don't like where it is. Anyone know where the Bee Gees figures are going ? 

Opposite Paramount city or thereabouts I think.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

The Beatles statue is outside the museum at Pier Head. There are normally loads of people taking pictures with it, just look for a small crowd.

The Bee Gees one is supposed to be replacing one of the shelters down at the sunken gardens. They're going to knock it down for it. DBC are off their heads.

A council spokesman said if approved, a shelter between Marine Gardens would be demolished and the statue would be in place by April 2020.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-50350002

Edited by TheTeapot