Turning left off Glencrutchery Road into Ballaquayle Road!

Max Power

3 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I was coming back from Peel the other day and the cars in front of me were trying to pass a cyclist who did not want to be passed.

After about five mile#, all the cars including me were able to pass. We then get to Snugborough road works and the twat undertakes the whole row of cars, then sets off on the green light at 10 mph about 6 feet or more from the kerb, just about stopping any of us getting ahead of him. What a total cunt and selfish bastard. This is precisely why cyclists get a bad reputation. 

I think there is a law somewhere that says twats like that should be knocked into the pavement...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

I think there is a law somewhere that says twats like that should be knocked into the pavement...

It is though what hampers the cycling push for safety. ( no pun intended with the “push” ) Our daughter has taken up cycling so I Amin no way anti bike. Let’s just all stay safe and act as adults on the road.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Scotty said:

It is though what hampers the cycling push for safety. ( no pun intended with the “push” ) Our daughter has taken up cycling so I am in no way anti bike. Let’s just all stay safe and act as adults on the road.

Why do they have to have cycle lanes on the road?  There is a wonderful wide open space not a stones throw from the road that basically runs from Vic Road to Ballaquayle.  It’s not going to get used this year, so they could have made a nice little cycle route through it and spent as long as they wanted on it.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Well then the cyclist should just join the queue. Simple. He may live longer too.

Most of the buggers I see would simply cycle down the left hand side of the outside/straight on lane and then go sit beyond the line, in front of the first vehicle in that lane, until they see the amber come on for the conflicting traffic and then set off on red/red-amber to get across the junction before the traffic catches them. The one in the clip sitting meekly holding up the left hand lane most be a novice.

2 hours ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

The 'solution' is that as of Thursday morning vehicles coming from St Ninians won't be able to turn right at the roundabout and head down Victoria Road. 

Instead they will have to go through the dip do a 180 at the second roundabout and go left down Victoria Road. 

Great stuff all round. Well done DoI

The whole thing is totally barking. If things worked the way they should and the politicians were in charge of the Departments, as they would have us believe, the minister should be able to march in there, demand to know whose stupidity is to blame for such an embarrassment and sack them on the spot.

• Like 3

The DOI need to hold their hands up and start again. All it takes is for someone in the centre lane turning left to not look in their mirror just long enough to it see a cyclist exiting the end of the cycle lane and it’s A & E here we come. The cyclist may be be doing nothing wrong but that won’t help fix a broken wrist. I can’t see any safe place for someone going down Bray hill from the cycle lane to wait for the lights to change and filtering comes with its own risks. It would be better if cyclists traveling past the grandstand into central Douglas would be encouraged to divert past Police HQ and through Noble’s park. It would be safer and maybe even a bit quicker. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Hammerhead said:

The DOI need to hold their hands up and start again. All it takes is for someone in the centre lane turning left to not look in their mirror just long enough to it see a cyclist exiting the end of the cycle lane and it’s A & E here we come. The cyclist may be be doing nothing wrong but that won’t help fix a broken wrist. I can’t see any safe place for someone going down Bray hill from the cycle lane to wait for the lights to change and filtering comes with its own risks. It would be better if cyclists traveling past the grandstand into central Douglas would be encouraged to divert past Police HQ and through Noble’s park. It would be safer and maybe even a bit quicker. 

It is probably as likely  bus tramping down the left hand lane is going to meet perhaps the second or third car filtering left as natural instinct is to beat the light and now manoeuvre out left, not pause as if at a giveaway and look left /rear mirror. We were trained mirror signal manoeuvre and yet this is signal, manoeuvre, pause,mirror, manoeuvre.. Not good

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, english zloty said:

It is probably as likely  bus tramping down the left hand lane is going to meet perhaps the second or third car filtering left as natural instinct is to beat the light and now manoeuvre out left, not pause as if at a giveaway and look left /rear mirror. We were trained mirror signal manoeuvre and yet this is signal, manoeuvre, pause,mirror, manoeuvre.. Not good

That's exactly my point in the OP, it could be nasty.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Max Power said:

He's the man who killed Rally Isle of Man too, he has some big achievements, maybe we should erect a statue of him?

And Supertour. Closing the mountain and putting Motorsport level safety in place is too high risk. As opposed to allowing visitors to come over and rag up and down it in amongst other traffic.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mr Newbie said:

I’ve asked this question before though. Is the DOI ever liable in the event of someone’s unfortunate death for drawing up and implementing such a dangerous shit show of a layout? I actually think they should be made culpable as it’s clear there has been no risk assessment done here. A bunch of tits are just told to go down and and paint some lines in the road on overtime at the weekend. It’s the same with the shocking lack of planning on the prom. If anything dangerous happens are they actually liable for the incompetent half assed and dangerous way they throw all this stuff together?  

No.

Read s.107 of The Highways Act 1986

http://www.legislation.gov.im/cms/images/LEGISLATION/PRINCIPAL/1986/1986-0017/HighwaysAct1986_1.pdf#page84

Edited by Derek Flint

22 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Derek, that isn’t what that section says. It says employees and officers of DOI can’t be sued for things they do in the course of employment by DOI.  It doesn’t say DOI is exempted from liability for poor design, implementation and execution. It is, liable if negligent, and they’ve been successfully sued.

Note I say poor design, etc, DOI isn’t liable in case of damage from normal deterioration, pot holes, differential settled paving trips. There our law is different to that in UK. The common law position is retained here for maintenance.

Perhaps you are confusing the position under s120.

120 Saving in respect of liability for condition of highway
[P1959/25/298]
Save as expressly provided by this Act, nothing in this Act with respect to the duty of the Department to maintain highways shall be construed as affecting any exemption from liability for non-repair available as the successor of the parochial surveyors

But if DOI design a lane system, an adverse camber, or install a man hole cover which has a low coefficient of friction for braking, or a raised lip that will send a motor bike spinning, bang to rights.

The exemption from personal liability for employees/officers is backed up by s5 of the Civil Service Act 1990, which imposes vicarious liability on the Department for the acts of its employees/officers.

And you have to read it in light of Mudie v Douglas Corporation, 1931, reported in Deemster Farrants book “ Cases I decided whilst asleep on the bench”. It’s an odd judgment, but is trotted out to back up the parish surveyor exemption, although it’s about an overhanging wall mounted sign, in Fort Street.