Jump to content

Turning left off Glencrutchery Road into Ballaquayle Road!


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Butterflies said:

So what are we supposed to do?? If using the cycle lane for going straight, then the lights change???

Jesus wept.

People are losing their shit over nothing.  What has changed? If you are going straight on or turning right you wouldnt EVER have waited in the left lane.

Any cyclist is or should be doing exactly qhat they've always done.  Nothing has changed. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I cycle down there a lot. Never had an issue. It’s not a road that needs or even benefits from a cycle lane. Also, top tip for cyclists who want to avoid traffic on that road: go down the police

First Harmer, and now Baker. The DoI the gift that keeps on giving. I agree NB, it is the brains behind these schemes that cause the issues, it must be maddening to have to justify in public somebody

You are wrong there for at least three reasons.  Firstly MHKs are there to represent their constituents and if this is the sort of thing their constituents are getting upset about then they need to tr

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Jesus wept.

People are losing their shit over nothing.  What has changed? If you are going straight on or turning right you wouldnt EVER have waited in the left lane.

Any cyclist is or should be doing exactly qhat they've always done.  Nothing has changed. 

Ok ok dont lose your blob! So cyclists going straight on use the right lane as normal? Gotcha.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Butterflies said:

Ok ok dont lose your blob! So cyclists going straight on use the right lane as normal? Gotcha.

If you look at the DoI Facebook post I put on the previous page:

Quote

Traffic light timings have been increased at St Ninian’s crossroads to help traffic turning left, towards Broadway. Cyclists using the temporary bus/cycle lane and who wish to proceed straight on at St Ninian’s crossroads must not wait in this lane.

Though it doesn't say how they should get there.  At least it does say it is temporary.

Edited by Roger Mexico
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

If you look at the DoI Facebook post I put on the previous page:

Though it doesn't say how they should get there.  At least it does say it is temporary.

I would imagine people should do exactly what they have always done and filter into the correct lane to go straight on or turn right.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

I would imagine people should do exactly what they have always done and filter into the correct lane to go straight on or turn right.

Of course they should, but as  pointed out about the video, I reckon that cyclist was getting gobbed at by the guys in the van 'get in your own lane'. That's the kind of stupid thing that'll happen because people are stupid.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

I would imagine people should do exactly what they have always done and filter into the correct lane to go straight on or turn right.

Well in theory, but there wasn't a cycle/bus lane there before, so cyclists would have positioned themselves further back and cars turning left would already be in the right (LHS) lane rather than having to move across just as cyclists would be moving in the other direction.  You hope people will be extra careful, but it does seem to have increased the danger.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Of course they should, but as  pointed out about the video, I reckon that cyclist was getting gobbed at by the guys in the van 'get in your own lane'. That's the kind of stupid thing that'll happen because people are stupid.

My point is more about how people are losing their shit with the DOI but it makes no sense because nothing has changed as far as traffic (of any sort) going straight on or right is concerned. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well in theory, but there wasn't a cycle/bus lane there before, so cyclists would have positioned themselves further back and cars turning left would already be in the right (LHS) lane rather than having to move across just as cyclists would be moving in the other direction.  You hope people will be extra careful, but it does seem to have increased the danger.

In stationary traffic there's no change at all.  If you were approaching from the grandstand and the lights were on green you wouldnt probably bother being anywhere other than where you would normally be. In the lane for traffic straight ahead.

Link to post
Share on other sites

At least before you could easily go up the left hand side to filter earlier on and that meant that more straight on vehicles could be in the right hand land lane waiting to go straight on so the tail backs weren't so long.. In other words their were two lanes of traffic instead of one lane and and a very short lane.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Oh right, didn't that one happen in Kirk Michael? He mentioned Governors so I assumed he meant this one

No. The guy who had the brain bleed was on Glencrutchery Road at the dip
TheGov. Hill. one was a biker crossing the centre of the road and colliding* with a bin lorry
The one in Kirk Micheal was a totally innocent cyclist who did nothing wrong, yet was killed by a person who tried to get away with it.Shameful event that has not sat well with most people since .

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Oh right, didn't that one happen in Kirk Michael? He mentioned Governors so I assumed he meant this one

No. The guy who had the brain bleed was on Glencrutchery Road at the dip
TheGov. Hill. one was a biker crossing the centre of the road and colliding* with a bin lorry
The one in Kirk Micheal was a totally innocent cyclist who did nothing wrong, yet was killed by a person who tried to get away with it.Shameful event that has not sat well with most people since .

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Oh right, didn't that one happen in Kirk Michael? He mentioned Governors so I assumed he meant this one

No. The guy who had the brain bleed was on Glencrutchery Road at the dip
TheGov. Hill. one was a biker crossing the centre of the road and colliding* with a bin lorry
The one in Kirk Micheal was a totally innocent cyclist who did nothing wrong, yet was killed by a person who tried to get away with it.Shameful event that has not sat well with most people since .

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Scotty said:


The one in Kirk Micheal was a totally innocent cyclist who did nothing wrong, yet was killed by a person who tried to get away with it.Shameful event that has not sat well with most people since .

I'm lost. You say "tried to get away with it" but the driver pleaded guilty https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/death-driver-to-be-sentenced/

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...