Turning left off Glencrutchery Road into Ballaquayle Road!

Max Power

34 minutes ago, Scotty said:

No. The guy who had the brain bleed was on Glencrutchery Road at the dip
TheGov. Hill. one was a biker crossing the centre of the road and colliding* with a bin lorry
The one in Kirk Micheal was a totally innocent cyclist who did nothing wrong, yet was killed by a person who tried to get away with it.Shameful event that has not sat well with most people since .

Oh ok. I don't remember the Governors Hill one then. When was that?

So let me get this right Linda Thompson was convicted and given an 18 month suspended sentence but got away with it because she "knew someone". Who did she know? What was the connection? 

Remembering of course that the Attorney General appealed against the sentence on the grounds that it was unduly lenient and a totally separate panel of three judges (including two QCs from off Island) dismissed the appeal. https://www.judgments.im/content/J1682.htm

Are you saying she had four judges in her pocket including two from off Island?

Now I don't know her and its clearly appalling for the victim and her friends and family but it would appear that justice has run its course and the correct way forward is for law change and not making what appear to be groundless allegations of corruption. Obviously if you have evidence post it up. It's not sub judice and if its true it can't be libelous.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Oh ok. I don't remember the Governors Hill one then. When was that?

I don't recall that one either, but I have a feeling a visiting biker ran wide out Andreas way colliding with a bin lorry maybe by the Grosvenor?

2 minutes ago, piebaps said:

So let me get this right Linda Thompson was convicted and given an 18 month suspended sentence but got away with it because she "knew someone". Who did she know? What was the connection? 

Remembering of course that the Attorney General appealed against the sentence on the grounds that it was unduly lenient and a totally separate panel of three judges (including two QCs from off Island) dismissed the appeal. https://www.judgments.im/content/J1682.htm

Now I don't know her and its clearly appalling for the victim and her friends and family but it would appear that justice has run its course and the correct way forward is for law change and not making what appear to be groundless allegations of corruption. Obviously if you have evidence post it up. It's not sub judice and if its true it can't be libelous.

Are you being a twat, just because you can ? A lovely lady lost her life due the driving of an elderly driver who got off virtually Scot free.

3 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Oh now I'm really confused. Bin Wagon motorbike death near Kirk Michael https://www.energyfm.net/cms/news_story_216739.html

Doesn't involve a cyclist, so dunno what Scotty is on about, that case mentioned by piebaps has nothing to do with a bin wagon.

You missed the point

get a map

Edited by Scotty

16 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Oh now I'm really confused. Bin Wagon motorbike death near Kirk Michael https://www.energyfm.net/cms/news_story_216739.html

Doesn't involve a cyclist, so dunno what Scotty is on about, that case mentioned by piebaps has nothing to do with a bin wagon.

That one was policeman Ronnie Jones's son having an early morning hoon.

Edited by finlo

2 minutes ago, Scotty said:

You missed the point

get a map

What the absolute fuck is wrong with you?

Lets go through it again.

Kopek posted about the driver of a bin wagon not getting prosecuted at governors. I pointed out he shouldn't have been cos it was a medical issue. You then 'corrected' me saying "He is talking about the fatal with the bin Lordy and biker I think" which I then thought was in KM.

You've then told me no, KM was a cyclist, but thats a totally different case and nothing to do with a bin lorry but mentioned a different bin lorry biker incident at governors hill which i can find no evidence of. And then told me to get a map?

You're drinkingposting like Dilli.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

What the absolute fuck is wrong with you?

Lets go through it again.

Kopek posted about the driver of a bin wagon not getting prosecuted at governors. I pointed out he shouldn't have been cos it was a medical issue. You then 'corrected' me saying "He is talking about the fatal with the bin Lordy and biker I think" which I then thought was in KM.

You've then told me no, KM was a cyclist, but thats a totally different case and nothing to do with a bin lorry but mentioned a different bin lorry biker incident at governors hill which i can find no evidence of. And then told me to get a map?

You're drinkingposting like Dilli.

Kopek mentioned a crash at goveniors hill entrance. Yo7 confused that with the poor guy who had a brain blee£ and crashed at Gov, dip Two very different events the rest is history. 
keep up with local events

8 minutes ago, piebaps said:

It is a bit odd that the Manx Radio report doesn't include all the things of which she was convicted.  The 3FM one does:

A careless driver who's been handed a suspended prison sentence for killing a cyclist also lied to try and claim Legal Aid.

63-year-old Linda Thompson was sentenced at Douglas Courthouse this week after pleading guilty to causing the death of Kathryn Burge in Kirk Michael in 2014. 

In addition she was also sentenced for two counts of making false representations for Legal Aid - she'd claimed she only had savings of £7,500 when she actually had over £28,000. 

She told police she knew if she'd declared it she would get her application refused - her advocate told the court she "didn't want to lose everything she'd worked for". 

Thompson was also convicted of committing an act against public justice - she gave a false statement to police after an assault at the Ginger Hall in August when she was the licensee.  

Her advocate said at that point in time her primary motive had been to keep the police out of her life but that had "backfired spectacularly". 

Thompson was sentenced to 18 months in total with the sentence being suspended for two years - she's also been disqualified from driving for three years. 

Actually the account of the public justice charge in the appeal judgment is even more damning: 

6. On 27 July 2014 Mr Brian McNabb assaulted Ms Shondelle Sharmine Rhoden in the Respondent`s public house. When the police were summoned the Respondent failed to identify the person who had committed the assault. On 13 August 2014 the Respondent provided a statement to the police which she knew to be false in that she falsely asserted that she did not know the identity of the assailant on Ms Rhoden. Moreover the Respondent sought to encourage Ms Zoe Kneen, an employee, to make a false statement denying any knowledge of Mr McNabb`s assault on Ms Rhoden.

However appeal court judges are very unwilling to increase sentences if they are within the normal guidelines for those offences and especially unlikely to imprison someone after the sentence has been suspended.  Any sentence has to be found not just lenient but unduly lenient.  So the appeal was refused.

• Like 1