Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Max Power

Turning left off Glencrutchery Road into Ballaquayle Road!

What happened to the young driver who hit and killed a cyclist on Poortown Road? Did she get sentenced in the end? Last I remember reading is she pleaded guilty, can’t ever remember seeing an update after that?

Posted (edited)

Driving into the low sun, whether east or west is always a problem if your windscreen is not cleared beyond the sweep of the wipers, similarly, the number of cars with crazed/milky headlamp covers, which will reduce the effectiveness/ diffusion of the headlights .

Hold your hands up if you always ensure that your windscreen and headlamp covers are always clear for forward vision!!!

Edited by Kopek

Unfortunately this means that to comply with the above best compliance with the best ideal situation, the police would have to prosecute more drivers with having inadequately cleared headlamp covers or  failing to clear windscreen to deal with oncoming situations that could be, reasonably expected to arrise?

On 6/14/2020 at 10:19 PM, Max Power said:

I forsee serious accidents as cyclists and buses pile into cars changing lanes.

Another fine mess they've got us into!

Image may contain: road, outdoor and text

Returning to the subject. I note that there are no dotted lines separating the rh lane from the left. Therefore this says to me that those in the right hand lane do not have to give way to traffic in the left hand lane once the solid line is passed. So if someone takes me off my bike and I am permanently disabled for life,  they are not liable as they have not done anything wrong

• Like 1

Went through the dip on a double decker bus earlier. Worked ok. Douglas in general is a bit of a mess though eh? First time I'd been in months. Strand Street was really busy.

42 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Returning to the subject. I note that there are no dotted lines separating the rh lane from the left. Therefore this says to me that those in the right hand lane do not have to give way to traffic in the left hand lane once the solid line is passed. So if someone takes me off my bike and I am permanently disabled for life,  they are not liable as they have not done anything wrong

It works no different to any other filter lane really.  People from the right lane would clearly be looking to see they can move over safely.  It isn't rocket science.

I see the DOI made use of the dark hours to really mess up Governor's Bridge.  Now, you cannot turn right to go down Victoria Road  from Glencrutchery Road, but must go down the dip, round the roundabout, then turn left.  Now there are two lanes coming from the north past the bridge, one straight ahead the other to go left down Victoria Roaf, so what bit of the road do they need closed for works?  I am sure it makes sense. 

8 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I see the DOI made use of the dark hours to really mess up Governor's Bridge.  Now, you cannot turn right to go down Victoria Road  from Glencrutchery Road, but must go down the dip, round the roundabout, then turn left.  Now there are two lanes coming from the north past the bridge, one straight ahead the other to go left down Victoria Roaf, so what bit of the road do they need closed for works?  I am sure it makes sense. 

I assume the reason for it is because if you are coming up from the Grandstand to turn right into Victoria Road you would need to give way to all oncoming traffic from Onchan and the Mountain.  Given that the prom is closed, that traffic at peak times will be volumous.

If you make the traffic from the Grandstand go the route the DoI have then anything wanting to go down Victoria road will simply use the second roundabout to join the other traffic and won't hold up anyone not wanting to go down Victoria Road.  Seems logical to me.

15 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

I assume the reason for it is because if you are coming up from the Grandstand to turn right into Victoria Road you would need to give way to all oncoming traffic from Onchan and the Mountain.  Given that the prom is closed, that traffic at peak times will be volumous.

If you make the traffic from the Grandstand go the route the DoI have then anything wanting to go down Victoria road will simply use the second roundabout to join the other traffic and won't hold up anyone not wanting to go down Victoria Road.  Seems logical to me.

How is that working for the Shopshite artics or do they use a different route?

Why is it that traffic from the Onchan direction wanting to go to, say, the airport, is forced to go down Victoria Road?

It's crazy.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

Why is it that traffic from the Onchan direction wanting to go to, say, the airport, is forced to go down Victoria Road?

it isn't. There are now two lanes. You need to be in the right one, which is the right one, to go straight on. Go in the left one, which is the wrong one, and you are forced down Victoria Road. 

• Like 1