Turning left off Glencrutchery Road into Ballaquayle Road!

Max Power

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

A few years ago now, we had a new Director of Highways (possibly Bruce Hannay's replacement?), IIRC his name was Pearson. One of the first jobs he did was take away all those plastic dividers from the lanes at Quarterbridge in order to improve traffic flow (which it certainly seemed to).

Then he took away a lot of what was deemed superfluous speed and road signage from the 6-odd mile stretch between Quarterbridge and Ballacraine and tidied everything up.

Then he departed his post and was never seen again. Anybody else remember?

He knew his stuff, so was removed. Now Chair of the Institute of Highway design or some such according to Google.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/crossroads-decision-for-islandand39s-highways-boss/

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, english zloty said:

He knew his stuff, so was removed. Now Chair of the Institute of Highway design or some such according to Google.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/crossroads-decision-for-islandand39s-highways-boss/

By the sounds of it the cut backs began and ended with him

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Eh? That makes no sense.  Think about it.

I know what you mean, but can also kind of see what he's saying. You can't go up Broadway at the moment either so it must be a reasonably tricky route for an artic to get to Shoprite. Trickier than normal anyway.

• Like 3

Getting back to the St Ninians junction,if i was cycling down past the grandstand to go down Bray hill,i would dismount, then walk with bike on pavement,towards left hand side of footbridge,then get back on further down were the barrier opens up.Yes ,cyclists have every right of way to be in amongst the traffic trying to cross,but who wants to be breathing in all these diesel fumes? especially amongst mature trees where it hangs around.Every town and city has these hard to navigate, nightmare junctions,and as a cyclist sometimes myself, i avoid them,by becoming a pedestrian for a couple of minutes.its often healthier and safer.

Edited by Ďouglas Peel
Word missing
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

I know what you mean, but can also kind of see what he's saying. You can't go up Broadway at the moment either so it must be a reasonably tricky route for an artic to get to Shoprite. Trickier than normal anyway.

I asked because I used to drive these many years ago. The powers that be have effectively made it very difficult indeed to get there.

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

Amadeus has made a dramatic video for you all

The only thing that makes it dangerous is the stupidity of drivers. Pay attention and drive considerately. 

• Like 1