Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Max Power

Turning left off Glencrutchery Road into Ballaquayle Road!

27 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Let's not take our eye off the ball of why it's all necessary in the first instance, Mr Robinson. Hiding behind your new fall guy of Mr Baker.

First Harmer, and now Baker. The DoI the gift that keeps on giving. I agree NB, it is the brains behind these schemes that cause the issues, it must be maddening to have to justify in public somebody else's poor decision. This is a first painful lesson for Baker. He has political oversight and responsibility for a department that directly effects all our lives and is played out in the full gaze of social media. Mr Baker is a bright and capable man, but I can only imagine that unless he wants to end up with the department ruining his political career, he needs to get a grip on the likes of Robinson and start challenging their future plans at an early stage. It is astounding that no politician has cottoned onto the fact that being in charge of the DoI gives you a great opportunity to harness the goodwill/votes of the public just by fixing the roads and limiting the waste on unnecessary projects.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

I see they're about to publish plans for their next massive fuck up - the redevelopment of central Peel. That'll be a laugh.

12 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

First Harmer, and now Baker. The DoI the gift that keeps on giving. I agree NB, it is the brains behind these schemes that cause the issues, it must be maddening to have to justify in public somebody else's poor decision. This is a first painful lesson for Baker. He has political oversight and responsibility for a department that directly effects all our lives and is played out in the full gaze of social media. Mr Baker is a bright and capable man, but I can only imagine that unless he wants to end up with the department ruining his political career, he needs to get a grip on the likes of Robinson and start challenging their future plans at an early stage. It is astounding that no politician has cottoned onto the fact that being in charge of the DoI gives you a great opportunity to harness the goodwill/votes of the public just by fixing the roads and limiting the waste on unnecessary projects.

Do I detect a growing sympathy for Ray Harmer creeping in? 

It's pretty well known that departments resent the presence of political members and their interference. They are easy to set up for a fall whereas the departmental executives are Teflon coated. They see themselves as the experts, which they allegedly are, and the politicians as idiots who can carry the can and be made to look as such. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I see they're about to publish plans for their next massive fuck up - the redevelopment of central Peel. That'll be a laugh.

when they say redevelopment they mean flatten the place...

10 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

No, they're hiding them in the town hall

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

when they say redevelopment they mean flatten the place...

They want to put some 'rain gardens' in somewhere, whatever that means. You have to actually go to Peel on Thursday to see the plans initially, turns out I was wrong about them being published for now.

Edit - as pointed out by Donald above, I'd only just read that.

Edited by TheTeapot

9 minutes ago, Max Power said:

It's pretty well known that departments resent the presence of political members and their interference. They are easy to set up for a fall whereas the departmental executives are Teflon coated. They see themselves as the experts, which they allegedly are, and the politicians as idiots who can carry the can and be made to look as such. 

I have known a couple of department heads, that were nothing to do with the DoI, but who when chatting would say in a polite way that they always liked getting a stupid political member who would always agree. They were however annoyed by interfering stupid ones who kept grandstanding or asked awkward questions. They never referred to a bright one who asked pertinent questions and brought something to the party. I wonder why?

Peel was shat upon with an overblown Dandara estate, obviously great profit to DD but just increased the commute to Douglas - this should not happen to the central zone, there was already a totally unsympathetic development of the Empire garage + adjacent sites proposed pre covid - a few buildings require attention but I understand it is extremely difficult to force repairs on an unwilling owner (+ some owners go to great efforts to avoid any such - possibly in hope that redevelopment will bring a windfall).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

They could start by removing that fishing boat somebody flytipped in the Cathedral grounds. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Max Power said:

No. He was admittedly given a poisoned chalice but singularly failed to deal with it in the same fashion as all his predecessors. By failing to instill into his CEOs that they answer to him and the electorate/general public. Not the other way around.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

I think peel is in need if redevelopment the twin centre is a shit hole. They need to try do something similar to castle town. Castle town is now vibrant on a night out with secret pizza and Compton vaults etc. 

Is Castle town Manx?

7 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Is Castle town Manx?

You know what I mean my phone just likes to correct me on the spelling of Castletown. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Kopek said:

Is Castle town Manx?

You're thinking of Carstletown

• Haha 3