Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Max Power

Turning left off Glencrutchery Road into Ballaquayle Road!

1 hour ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

I presume the genius idea of two lanes going south at Governors Bridge has been temporarily abandoned as the lane for Glencrutchery Road was all coned off this morning.

You have to wonder how they arrive at these half wit plans, is it just a game to see who can get away with the most ridiculous?

I've read elsewhere, that the Police have made them cone off that lane, because the new layout pushed traffic in it towards the wrong side of the mini roundabout, thus setting off a potential head-on collision.

I assume there's currently a stand-off, while they try to find a solution that doesn't make the DoI look like total pricks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Six Ps (Prior Planning Prevents P_ss Poor Performance) does not appear to be part of the DOI philosophy.

27 minutes ago, Nellie said:

I assume there's currently a stand-off, while they try to find a solution that doesn't make the DoI look like total pricks.

There isn't one.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Am I misunderstanding this, if you are a car wanting to turn into town. You're in the centre lane until you near the lights then you switch into the bus/cycle lane.

But if you're a cyclist wanting to go straight on, you're supposed to stay in the cycle lane until you cross the junction.

Won't that leave the cyclist blocking traffic wanting to go left? Or does it cease to be a cycle lane a few metres from the lights and a cyclist wanting to go straight on should filter into the centre lane?

Edited by Declan
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Declan said:

Am I misunderstanding this, if you are a car wanting to turn into town. You're in the centre lane until you near the lights then you switch into the bus/cycle lane.

But if you're a cyclist wanting to go straight on, you're supposed to stay in the cycle lane until you cross the junction.

Won't that leave the cyclist blocking traffic wanting to go left? Or does it cease to be a cycle lane a few metres from the lights and a cyclist wanting to go straight on should filter into the centre lane?

Your first and third paragraphs is how I understand it, the whole thing seems absolutely pointless and hazardous for cycles and cars

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Declan said:

The bus/cycle lane finishes before the junction. If going straight on, cyclists should move into the correct (right hand side) lane

It's stupid and dangerous. What is it meant to achieve?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, kevster said:

The bus/cycle lane finishes before the junction. If going straight on, cyclists should move into the correct (right hand side) lane

I think I would prefer to stay in the centre lane rather than use the cycle lane for a relatively short distance then try and filter into a stream of cars and vans.

• Like 4

There's a video floating about on one of the social medias showing exactly this problem,and a cyclist getting gobbed at as a result. If i see it again I'll post it up, but sometimes I see things on twatter/fb and never find them again.

54 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

The whole thing seems absolutely pointless and hazardous for cycles and cars

Yes that’s the DOI really. Pointless and hazardous. 

I also thought that the two things on the road that you do not want to be lane sharing would be a stonking big bus and a soft squidgy cyclist.

Edited and spell cheacked

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Declan said:

I think I would prefer to stay in the centre lane rather than use the cycle lane for a relatively short distance then try and filter into a stream of cars and vans.

Well you would stay in the centre lane surely if you were going straight on? Why would you be in the left hand lane?

Also any cyclist would do what they normally do.  Just filter down the left had side of the centre lane.  No need for anyone to alter what they do.

Forget bikes, this layout change is primarily to aid bus flow while the prom is one way.

Cyclists can use bus lanes.