Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Major Rushen

New Neighbors!

On 6/22/2020 at 10:11 PM, woolley said:

Pretty sure that important people in business have been flying in and out during the period. There was a private plane from Luxembourg, for instance. Life goes on.

Some of the flights from the Private Jet Centre have been medical - supplies, key personnel, and even organs... 

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

Sorry to break the negativity, but this is true. The reality is that the Govt are not even aware of a large majority of the enquiries to move here, as until the potential new residents actually decide to push the go button, Govt has zero involvement.  A lot of this is the private sector selling the Island. 

I work in Business Development in the Finance sector and have seen a huge increase in the number of people considering moving to the Island.  Figures... no idea, but the last couple of years it was not something I discussed with clients very often - maybe a couple of times a year.  Now it seems to be every other person I speak to, so at least a couple a week.  I also know that various lawyers and tax advisors over here are in a similar position.

Corona has undoubtedly caused a surge of interest.  The fact that we seem to have managed our outbreak quite well (it seems to be known worldwide) and that the lockdown has demonstrated across the board that remote working is a genuinely viable option.   If you don't have to live in a big city, with all the trauma associated, then why do it?  

And before anyone spouts up, many of these enquiries are looking to take advantage of the entrepreneur or investor visas - thereby creating businesses and employment on the Island. 

It will be interesting to see just how many of these enquiries actually follow through.   A quick google shows dozens and dozens of 'Coronavirus is making people think about moving to the countryside' articles all around the world.  But they nearly all come from May.  As economies start to gear up again and people are less likely to be stuck at home with time on their hands to daydream, an awful lot of people will be less enthusiastic when they start to consider practicalities.

None of this interest can do any harm of course and it's clear that there is also interest coming from outside the UK from your reference to visas, but I suspect the uncertainty over Brexit may make a lot of people think twice there.    In the end the position of anyone coming from outside the UK is at the whim of the UK government and their handling of the crisis certainly hasn't been winning worldwide plaudits.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Sorry to break the negativity, but this is true. The reality is that the Govt are not even aware of a large majority of the enquiries to move here, as until the potential new residents actually decide to push the go button, Govt has zero involvement.  A lot of this is the private sector selling the Island. 

I work in Business Development in the Finance sector and have seen a huge increase in the number of people considering moving to the Island.  Figures... no idea, but the last couple of years it was not something I discussed with clients very often - maybe a couple of times a year.  Now it seems to be every other person I speak to, so at least a couple a week.  I also know that various lawyers and tax advisors over here are in a similar position.

Corona has undoubtedly caused a surge of interest.  The fact that we seem to have managed our outbreak quite well (it seems to be known worldwide) and that the lockdown has demonstrated across the board that remote working is a genuinely viable option.   If you don't have to live in a big city, with all the trauma associated, then why do it?  

And before anyone spouts up, many of these enquiries are looking to take advantage of the entrepreneur or investor visas - thereby creating businesses and employment on the Island. 

Steady now.   We don't do positive discussions here.

1 hour ago, the stinking enigma said:

I had I steinway flown over only last week

That was the way I read it too. I was going all Phil Kelsall for a minute. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It will be interesting to see just how many of these enquiries actually follow through.   A quick google shows dozens and dozens of 'Coronavirus is making people think about moving to the countryside' articles all around the world.  But they nearly all come from May.  As economies start to gear up again and people are less likely to be stuck at home with time on their hands to daydream, an awful lot of people will be less enthusiastic when they start to consider practicalities.

None of this interest can do any harm of course and it's clear that there is also interest coming from outside the UK from your reference to visas, but I suspect the uncertainty over Brexit may make a lot of people think twice there.    In the end the position of anyone coming from outside the UK is at the whim of the UK government and their handling of the crisis certainly hasn't been winning worldwide plaudits.

I've had an interesting mix actually.  True UK residents/domiciled just looking to move here and get a job; 'foreigners' currently resident in the UK but looking to move somewhere similar and either set up a business or get a job in our existing market or be self employed in some form and yes, true foreigners that will require full visas etc.  Hopefully some of them will follow through, as some of the businesses they are planning on setting up are quite interesting. 

Although the closed borders could provide an awkward literal roadblock!! 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Some of the flights from the Private Jet Centre have been medical - supplies, key personnel, and even organs... 

1 hour ago, the stinking enigma said:

I had I steinway flown over only last week

13 minutes ago, woolley said:

That was the way I read it too. I was going all Phil Kelsall for a minute. 

Ha, yeah sorry.  I mean ice boxes full of body parts!!  Macabre, but kinda interesting.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Steady now.   We don't do positive discussions here.

We do if you're not involved... :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Ha, yeah sorry.  I mean ice boxes full of body parts!!  Macabre, but kinda interesting.

Body parts? are they sneaking the buggers over bit by bit...

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

It's OK, Phantom, we understand. We were just being silly. I assume those organs would be for export to the great metropolis. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, woolley said:

It's OK, Phantom, we understand. We were just being silly. I assume those organs would be for export to the great metropolis. 

7 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Body parts? are they sneaking the buggers over bit by bit...

I must learn to be more specific.... 

Donors - the odd liver or heart etc.  Shipped out via the jet centre, as they obviously can't sit around waiting for a delayed commercial flight.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Donors - the odd liver or heart etc.  Shipped out via the jet centre, as they obviously can't sit around waiting for a delayed commercial flight.

Ditto, woolley's comment :flowers:

43 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Be just my luck to get the odd liver. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, woolley said:

Be just my luck to get the odd liver. 

It'll fit right in with the rest of you... :whistling:

34 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

It'll fit right in with the rest of you... :whistling:

I realised that was a hostage to fortune as I posted it and wondered which bastard would apply the coup de grace. 

• Haha 1