Jump to content
Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Major Rushen

New Neighbors!

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, The Phantom said:

I've had an interesting mix actually.  True UK residents/domiciled just looking to move here and get a job; 'foreigners' currently resident in the UK but looking to move somewhere similar and either set up a business or get a job in our existing market or be self employed in some form and yes, true foreigners that will require full visas etc.  Hopefully some of them will follow through, as some of the businesses they are planning on setting up are quite interesting. 

Although the closed borders could provide an awkward literal roadblock!! 

 

I am sure we will get a few but there are limits to the compromises the majority will make. I think that most of us on here find the detachment of Island life an advantage in itself and good for the soul. Others definitely do not. While my business contacts over the years have yielded copious favourable remarks about Mann and wistful murmurs about moving here, the number that survived the wife's first visit to the shopping and dining infrastructure and separation from the wider family could be counted on one hand. You have to be a certain type of person or it isn't for you. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, woolley said:

You have to be a certain type of person or it isn't for you. 

Very, very true. And also the rock's competing with the south coast of England and Pembrokeshire. With FTTP broadband being delivered around Cornwall, decent towns such as Falmouth and Truro there's a fair bit of competition just round my area. Estate agents are very busy with 'rich' Londoners wanting to relocate anywhere on the south coast.

As soon as the rock has FTTP in rural parts I'll be thinking...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

Very, very true. And also the rock's competing with the south coast of England and Pembrokeshire. With FTTP broadband being delivered around Cornwall, decent towns such as Falmouth and Truro there's a fair bit of competition just round my area. Estate agents are very busy with 'rich' Londoners wanting to relocate anywhere on the south coast.

As soon as the rock has FTTP in rural parts I'll be thinking...

I suspect the Internet offering here is more than adequate for your needs.:rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

I suspect the Internet offering here is more than adequate for your needs.:rolleyes:

Maybe around the towns, but when I was moving it was pitiful in some rural areas.

What's the current offering outside of the towns?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, The Phantom said:

I've had an interesting mix actually.  True UK residents/domiciled just looking to move here and get a job; 'foreigners' currently resident in the UK but looking to move somewhere similar and either set up a business or get a job in our existing market or be self employed in some form and yes, true foreigners that will require full visas etc.  Hopefully some of them will follow through, as some of the businesses they are planning on setting up are quite interesting. 

Although the closed borders could provide an awkward literal roadblock!! 

It’s definitely clear interest is picking up across the board. The housing market seems to have gone into overdrive too despite one local estate agents doom and gloom pitch which looked like he was looking for government handouts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

Maybe around the towns, but when I was moving it was pitiful in some rural areas.

What's the current offering outside of the towns?

I live in one of the islands larger towns. On Friday, Saturday & Sunday nights the only online entertainment I could get was watching the red lights on my Manx Telecom router flashing on and off for hours on end

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

I live in one of the islands larger towns. On Friday, Saturday & Sunday nights the only online entertainment I could get was watching the red lights on my Manx Telecom router flashing on and off for hours on end

That’s a big night out in Peel. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/20/2020 at 7:48 PM, GreyWolf said:

unless its a bit of covid backlog or lots of buyers are indeed from over the water with cash to spend

I've been noticing quite a few properties off the market post lockdown, Maybe some is just backlog, maybe others who where selling up changed their minds as the island looked the safer option during Corona times?

On 6/20/2020 at 7:50 PM, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

I've noticed in the last year is that a number of sub 120k properties that had hung around for a while seemed to start selling.  

I've been  seeing quite a few that were on the market, no longer for sale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/20/2020 at 9:34 PM, NoTailT said:

Jersey has active cases? Very recently positive too?

Clear now - https://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/2020/06/30/covid-19-jersey-now-has-no-known-active-cases/

On 6/21/2020 at 9:17 AM, Albert Tatlock said:

People here need to wake up to the longterm implications

Of several things.

On 6/21/2020 at 10:00 AM, hissingsid said:

We are desperately short of health workers, dentists etc and school teachers etc

Always have been with the first two things and so are most places.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/21/2020 at 12:08 PM, GD4ELI said:

The IOM's nice, but if you've got any interest in life at all then go and see somewhere else for a while.

Depends if there's a second wave.

On 6/21/2020 at 2:10 PM, Mr Newbie said:

As you can’t generally buy in Jersey or Guernsey without being resident

Which should be the same here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/23/2020 at 7:53 AM, Derek Flint said:

if they can adhere to the rules on return then great. What we appear to have here is a state-sponsored breach where rather than coming to look at a specific thing/ do a particular deal, and kept within a tight bubble, they’ve been out and about

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-53205304

On 6/23/2020 at 11:01 AM, woolley said:

Haven't the BLM mass gatherings made these sort of arguments rather superfluous?

They have the distancing excuse here, not so much in the US and the UK.

13 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Corona has undoubtedly caused a surge of interest.

And an influx might cause a second wave surge of virus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Hopefully some of them will follow through, as some of the businesses they are planning on setting up are quite interesting. 

Oh, give us a hint you big tart.

10 hours ago, The Phantom said:

I mean ice boxes full of body parts!! 

Manx Ices rides again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Lagman said:

And an influx might cause a second wave surge of virus.

I wouldn't get that excited. I doubt it's going to be on the Children of Israel scale.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lagman said:
On 6/20/2020 at 9:34 PM, NoTailT said:

Jersey has active cases? Very recently positive too?

Clear now - https://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/2020/06/30/covid-19-jersey-now-has-no-known-active-cases/

Until a few days ago there were six cases but five of those were quite 'old' (from the middle of June and so will have reached their 14 days.

The other case was about six days ago.  I suspect this was someone who tested positive on arrival and then negative after seven days.  You'd hope they have got at least two negative tests before assuming they were virus-free.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...