Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
BallaDoc

"Swing low, sweet chariot" receives royal disapproval

26 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

I remember a Granada news report on it when he played for Wigan

I was having a drink with Dougie Laughton in 1987 when he told me the news of him signing Chariots from Middlesex Sevens in 1987. Wigan didn't happen till nearly 6 years later.

2 minutes ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

I was having a drink with Dougie Laughton in 1987 when he told me the news of him signing Chariots from Middlesex Sevens in 1987. Wigan didn't happen till nearly 6 years later.

err..... cool?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

err..... cool?

Not really, the 'cool' bit came two years later when Martin scored twice to lift the World Club Challenge trophy for Widnes by beating Canberra Raiders (A certain Jonathan Davis had also been signed by Doug by that time for a then world record £230,000 (which he never did receive in full).

Harry's missus is getting him into all sorts of nonsense and she'll be his undoing before long. He should keep out of politics until he knows a bit more.

This reminds me of the Welsh Labour MP who tried to stop the rugby fans singing Delilah. He didn't have much luck with that one either.

Swing Low is a beautiful negro spiritual and should be left well alone. Anyone that's not heard it should check out Paul Robeson's version. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Harry's missus is getting him into all sorts of nonsense and she'll be his undoing before long. He should keep out of politics until he knows a bit more.

This reminds me of the Welsh Labour MP who tried to stop the rugby fans singing Delilah. He didn't have much luck with that one either.

Swing Low is a beautiful negro spiritual and should be left well alone. Anyone that's not heard it should check out Paul Robeson's version. 

And there was me thinking it was composed by an American Indian

2 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

Rhumsaa - Apparently the correct pronunciation is "Off-ee-ah" so you are correct.

It'll work, go light the feere

Posted (edited)
On 6/22/2020 at 3:41 PM, John Wright said:

American Indian

Can you say that? Must admit I was under the impression that Swing Low at rugby went back a lot further than is being said. 

Edited by woolley

Posted (edited)

You can't say, 'this or that', or anything else unless it's been passed by the racial, equal, minority, cyclist, green dreaming world party!!! So there!!! I'll wait for the knock. Then it has to be approved by the Gov.

Edited by doc.fixit
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

You can't say, 'this or that', or anything else unless it's been passed by the racial, equal, minority, cyclist, green dreaming world party!!! So there!!! I'll wait for the knock. Then it has to be approved by the Gov.

just seen a cyclist headed your way doc...:ph34r:

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, woolley said:

Can you say that? Must admit I was under the impression that Swing Low at rugby went back a lot further than is being said. 

Here you go...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

When I played, rugby was as much about the drinking as the game, and there was a fine tradition of rugby songs - usually with drink forfeits for forgetting words or actions, or claiming to make love to an animal previously claimed as a partner by a fellow connoisseur of beastial love. Swing Low was a favourite at some clubs and below is a link with a variety of the actions that go with the song. I don't think anyone understood any racial aspect. To them it was just a pious religious song made funny by the stupid actions added to it. I think England fans started singing it because the none of the rest of their repertoire (eskimo nell, the engineer, the hairs on her dick-di-do, A is for arsehole, etc.) were suitable. 

On the one hand it is a bit weird and terribly inappropriate that a song born out of the agonies of slavery and yearning for freedom became an anthem for middle class English beer swillers - but I like it - much better than the stupid anthems, and comes from the fun, social side of rugby. 

Edited by Freggyragh

On 6/22/2020 at 12:33 PM, the stinking enigma said:

The problem with ruggers is that it's not really a sporty persons game. It's for people that are no good at football or anything else. 

Whilst funny, this is entirely true. 

13 hours ago, woolley said:

These days anything can become a tradition after 5 minutes.

Like the monarch's head on the pound note. Only introduced in 1960.

Orwell referenced these instant traditional songs in his novel 1984.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, prism10 said:

Orwell referenced these instant traditional songs in his novel 1984.

And mis-referencing Orwell has itself become something of a tradition. Reactionary blowhards and troublemakers in general often imagining Orwellian language conspiracies.

Edited by pongo

Down and out in Paris and London is his best book by far. Fact.