Jump to content

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Southfork said:

You are right here. I’ve never understood why in the IOM you can’t just create one local focal point. If the post office management weren’t so brain dead it’s exactly what they should do and it would work. One accessible building in a good location. Stick a coffee shop in it, a small general store, add somewhere to buy some stamps and pick up your pension. Throw in some comfy chairs and free WiFi. Basically your average Spar shop with WiFi and seating. We seem to only want to set up shared space for wantrapreneurs and wanker types when really the older age groups would be ideally placed for wider community hubs. 

Those you call the older types couldn’t afford to pay Spar type prices. You are dreaming.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A town or village need hub facilitys. A bank, pharmacy, doctors, post office, newsagent, cafe spring to mind. Economic pressure and online alternatives have slowly removed the social fabric of towns b

I'll be running a mobile cash collection service for all of the businesses affected from January 2021. Just deposit your days takings with me and I'll definitely be back in the morning with change for

There really is a load of rubbish being talked about this!!  To understand the reasoning behind these decisions one must first understand how the Banks used to operate and how they have to operat

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Those you call the older types couldn’t afford to pay Spar type prices. You are dreaming.

I take it that you’re not a complete idiot to understand the concept of what I described? In that the idea being described was like a Spar Shop environment with wider additions but not an actual Spar Shop run by the owners of Spar. The clue was in my reference to the Post Office maybe considering setting up something like that. Not the actual owners of Spar Shops, who purely run Spar Shops, which operate as ... just Spar Shops. 

Edited by Southfork
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Southfork said:

You are right here. I’ve never understood why in the IOM you can’t just create one local focal point. If the post office management weren’t so brain dead it’s exactly what they should do and it would work. One accessible building in a good location. Stick a coffee shop in it, a small general store, add somewhere to buy some stamps and pick up your pension. Throw in some comfy chairs and free WiFi. Basically your average Spar shop with WiFi and seating. We seem to only want to set up shared space for wantrapreneurs and wanker types when really the older age groups would be ideally placed for wider community hubs. 

Because the post office management do have brains is exactly the reason they are not doing as you suggest.

that set up would lose a fortune as the existing one does as they are too costly to maintain, a bit like banks!

the set up you describe would attract a few nice old dears who would sit around for a chat and generate no income 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Southfork said:

The clue was in my reference to the Post Office maybe considering something like that. Not the actual owners of Spar Shops, who purely run Spar Shops, which operate as ... just Spar Shops. 

The Spar shop in Ramsey is a Post Office.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, pongo said:

The Spar shop in Ramsey is a Post Office.

Several Spar shops are also sub post offices. But they don’t offer the cafe, seating area, community hub facilities being suggested.

Presumably if the brewery thought it was a viable concept they’d develop it?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Banker said:

Because the post office management do have brains is exactly the reason they are not doing as you suggest.

that set up would lose a fortune as the existing one does as they are too costly to maintain, a bit like banks!

the set up you describe would attract a few nice old dears who would sit around for a chat and generate no income 

All you have to do is own a building. Put the coffee shop out to contract for a business to run, put the shop out to contract for someone to run profitably, and stick a stamps and benefits counter in to generate the initial footfall and you likely couldn’t lose. You’re just offering floor space other businesses are paying to share and a reason for people to go there which should cover your ownership or lease costs. 

Edited by Southfork
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, John Wright said:

Several Spar shops are also sub post offices. But they don’t offer the cafe, seating area, community hub facilities being suggested.

Presumably if the brewery thought it was a viable concept they’d develop it?

That a hub should offer free wifi also undermines the idea we need hubs. If you've got a wifi enabled device then much of what the hub would provide is available on your phone anyhow.

I think this might be an argument for giant bus shelters with a decent 4G signal. Like at the old Kremlin in Ramsey.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Several Spar shops are also sub post offices. But they don’t offer the cafe, seating area, community hub facilities being suggested.

Presumably if the brewery thought it was a viable concept they’d develop it?

Exactly right, a community hub is an expensive thing which government should pay for

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Several Spar shops are also sub post offices. But they don’t offer the cafe, seating area, community hub facilities being suggested.

Presumably if the brewery thought it was a viable concept they’d develop it?

They need to sort out their pub offerings first!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Banker said:

Because the post office management do have brains is exactly the reason they are not doing as you suggest.

that set up would lose a fortune as the existing one does as they are too costly to maintain, a bit like banks!

the set up you describe would attract a few nice old dears who would sit around for a chat and generate no income 

Do IOM post operate any post offices, anymore, except the counter at HQ? There are no crown offices anymore. The rest are sub post offices. They are a sort of a weird franchise where the franchisor pays the franchisee. Run by private persons/companies 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, John Wright said:

Do IOM post operate any post offices, anymore? There are no crown offices anymore. The rest are sub post offices. They are a sort of a weird franchise where the franchisor pays the franchisee. Run by private persons/companies 

Completely correct. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Do IOM post operate any post offices, anymore, except the counter at HQ? There are no crown offices anymore. The rest are sub post offices. They are a sort of a weird franchise where the franchisor pays the franchisee. Run by private persons/companies 

Similar operation in UK where UK government pay a massive subsidy to keep the post offices open but they’re still closing down because it’s difficult to make a living 

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Southfork said:

I take it that you’re not a complete idiot to understand the concept of what I described? In that the idea being described was like a Spar Shop environment with wider additions but not an actual Spar Shop run by the owners of Spar. The clue was in my reference to the Post Office maybe considering setting up something like that. Not the actual owners of Spar Shops, who purely run Spar Shops, which operate as ... just Spar Shops. 

You mean the Spar shops with post office counters then ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

In Ireland they used to have a shop/pub/post office and other services under one roof in the smaller villages it worked.  South fork has the right idea post office services and bank services could easily be combined and a hub shop would be very popular with all members of the community.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...