Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
WTF

Spelling

The way things are going we won't be able to laugh at anybody.

44 minutes ago, Boo Gay'n said:

Local dyslexic pleas for empathy

This is incorrect grammatically

Or just incorrect.  There may have been more than one plea, but they've only reported the one.  I suspect they meant to write 'pleads' but Murphry's Law inevitably struck.  Though obviously 'Local dyslexic peals for empathy' would be better.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Or just incorrect.  There may have been more than one plea, but they've only reported the one.  I suspect they meant to write 'pleads' but Murphry's Law inevitably struck.  Though obviously 'Local dyslexic peals for empathy' would be better.

You might be right about 'plead', but I'd say it's more 'non-standard' than incorrect. 'Plea' can and has been used as a verb in Scotland and the North of England since about the 15th century, though I suspect that it's probably more commonly in use in North America these days.

Then there was 'spelt wrong'. No, it was spelt 'CLAER'. It may have been spelt 'wrongly' or even better 'incorrectly'.

In N. America, it is popularly 'spelled'. Olde English?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Kopek said:

In N. America, it is popularly 'spelled'. Olde English?

That’s because the Pilgrim fathers thought spelling mistakes were caused by evil spirits. Many a dyslexic was burnt at the stake.  

Edited by Declan
Wrong steak.

However, after being burnt at the 'stake', you would be 'steak'? ( rather than 'toast' ).

5 hours ago, Declan said:

That’s because the Pilgrim fathers thought spelling mistakes were caused by evil spirits. Many a dyslexic was burnt at the stake.  

I think you’ll find they were burned at the kates.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/24/2020 at 8:24 AM, WTF said:

we made the big time,

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-8451885/Blundering-road-painters-mocked-making-embarrassing-spelling-mistakes-TWICE-five-days.html

if it was the same painter i suggest they get a brain scan on the off chance they have a genuine medical issue

lets hope they never find  fatfucks  'hyperbowl' clip.

Was not sure where to post this, but probably the same paint gang, so i will put this here. not seen this layout before over here, so wondering if it is a new regulation , or just another overzealous man on the line painting machine

Lines.jpeg.73dbff826a1cfdc8621422543aa880c1.jpegLines.jpeg.73dbff826a1cfdc8621422543aa880c1.jpeg

Posted (edited)

just past the Liverpool Arms, (as was).

Apart from the yellow artwork, I had not seen white lines before. inside the yellow hash.

Edited by dilligaf

A bit late to the ize / ise subject, but Inspector Morse weighs in  

2 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Was not sure where to post this, but probably the same paint gang, so i will put this here. not seen this layout before over here, so wondering if it is a new regulation , or just another overzealous man on the line painting machine

Lines.jpeg.73dbff826a1cfdc8621422543aa880c1.jpegLines.jpeg.73dbff826a1cfdc8621422543aa880c1.jpeg

By ‘overzealous’ Dilli I presume you mean ‘stoned off his tits’.

2 hours ago, dilligaf said:

just past the Liverpool Arms, (as was).

Apart from the yellow artwork, I had not seen white lines before. inside the yellow hash.

That sums up the wooly headed disorganised thinking of the DoI doesn't it!

• Like 1

Perhaps they've had some tosser overtaking on the crossing. Who knows? Wouldn't surprise me.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dilligaf said:

My guess is ancient and forbidden runes intended to hasten the time of Ragnarok and the violent rebirth of the world.  Sharpen your knives and haft your axes, there's blood to be spilled and limbs to be severed in the name of Odin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, dilligaf said:

This is the not the correct Lining for a Tram junction as per Chapter 5 road markings diagram 1045 from the latest 2020 version there should not be Double white centrelines although the  yellow box junction is correctly marked.

• Like 1